Last nights Council...

Started by delbowz, January 10, 2007, 01:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delbowz

Anyone go?  Any highlights?

I was stuck "coaching" my grandparents on how to use the new cell phone that I got for them.  If anyone needs good material for a sitcom, come with me next time.  My grandmother is very hard of hearing, and my grandfather's sight is going - it was one of those priceless evenings.

Hoping the council meeting was more successful!

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

~LL~

Yikes!  Looks like no one on this board was able to attend.  Today's Life had a piece about the traffic and parking proposals that were to have come before Council last night.  I'd really appreciate hearing how these proposals were handled.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

OakParkSpartan

I'll be getting  video up on YouTube  of some of the highlights.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

I did not make the meeting, but one disappointing item I heard was the locked, or secure dumpster lids were voted down in COW and the idea tossed out. 
So now Berwyn will have RAT BAIT signs placed permanently in all alleys?   That says a lot for our city.  I find this very upsetting that some of the council members found this issue to be unimportant.  Why?
I know Mike Phelan was one to vote no along with Nona Chapman. 
I would think after the El Centro RAT invasion Nona would have considered differently, especially since this was her ward.
Can any of you council members explain why??  I may be wrong to feel like anyone owes me an explanation, but don't you think the tax payers are entitled to know why some decisions are made? 
Maybe there is a perfectly good reason the city of Berwyn would like the RATS and homeless to take up permanent residence here??

Count DMC

Well, any of the eight pack of RATS have an explanation for Patsy or anyone else here?
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

scoon

I remember Brocato objecting to it during a previous discussion.  His point, which I actually think is valid, is locking them might prevent people from getting garbage into the dumpster.

I've seen it happen at an apartment complex I once lived at.  Residents had keys, but left their refuse sitting next to the dumpster instead of unlocking and opening the lid.

Lazy + Garbage = Bad

Plus I'm not really sure how locks would prevent rats anyway.  Patsy, can you tell me how that would work? If you're not still seething about this...

Terri

Locked dumpsters are not locked with keys.  The locking mechanism is actually a lever that you push up to open the dumpster.  The term locking means the dumpster latches.  These types of dumpsters are used by our National Parks Services to reduce the number of animals using trash as a food source.

I would think these are the type of dumpsters that would be used.

Terri

Bonster

The dumpsters in the Roosevelt Road alley have chains and padlocks.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Terri

Throughout the entire threads/conversations about the dumpsters, I never once thought anyone was describing padlocks.  Padlocks should be reserved for business owners that want trash to go directly into the garbage truck, no dumpster diving. 

As Scoon said: Lazy + Garbage = Bad.

Terri

Bonster

Quote from: Fejes on January 11, 2007, 09:29:44 AM
Padlocks should be reserved for business owners that want trash to go directly into the garbage truck, no dumpster diving. 

That or people illegally dumping their trash into them...

Bonster

...and with that in mind, do fast food joints have "latched" dumpsters behind their "locked" entries?

~LL~

Quote from: LL-Schmidt on January 10, 2007, 10:02:28 PM
Yikes!  Looks like no one on this board was able to attend.  Today's Life had a piece about the traffic and parking proposals that were to have come before Council last night.  I'd really appreciate hearing how these proposals were handled.

Anyone -- how did discussion go regarding the traffic/parking proposals?...or did they just go 'bye bye'?

Bear

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

~LL~

Quote from: Bear on January 11, 2007, 02:33:19 PM
This was in the Life on Wed.
http://www.chicagosuburbannews.com/story.php?sid=77924&pub=3

Article was published the day after the meeting -- so there really was not any indication of how these proposals were received.
I'm all about the City employing more Revenue Officers -- who might be able to continually blitz areas where parking spaces are regularly hogged overnights by vehicles with no Berwyn VT's or with CHICAGO VT's (yet...the owner/driver resides in Berwyn). Tired of paying for a VT to help maintain streets -- only to have these sneaks taking up space and not contributing dime-one to the maintenance funds.