02 27 07's COW and Council meeting

Started by ~LL~, February 27, 2007, 03:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

The Mayor used something  called Section  28(?),  which allows him to table matters at will, with no objection  from council (members objected, but he still moved on. I didn't  quite get it.

Nothing much else stuck out.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

cozynite

What about the smoking ordinance?  How long did the meeting last?
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

Terri

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 28, 2007, 03:08:25 AM
Quote of the night, when the PAV YMCA was being discussed "I want to see the mayor on a treadmill, all hot and sweaty. On second thought, no I don't".

Cheers,
Brian
And which buff body said that?  (I really don't want to know).  

Terri

OakParkSpartan

I think the smoking ordinance will pass.

It went till 9:30 or so.

Erickson introduced something  about being more dog friendly.

A Michigan State alumni was honored for his work in Berwyn, Paul Hruby.

A three flat which the city said was a three flat when it was sold 7 or so years ago apparently became a 2 flat somewhere in Berwyn's records.  Council let the property sell as a three flat.  Question: How is it that some idiot has gotten rid of most of the records in the building department? What in the world were they thinking?

Cheers,
Brian

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Fejes on February 28, 2007, 09:57:29 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 28, 2007, 03:08:25 AM
Quote of the night, when the PAV YMCA was being discussed "I want to see the mayor on a treadmill, all hot and sweaty. On second thought, no I don't".

Cheers,
Brian
And which buff body said that?  (I really don't want to know). 

Terri

They are certainly much easier on the eyes...let's just leave it at that before *I* get in trouble.

Cheers,
Brian

delbowz

Quote from: scoon on February 28, 2007, 07:12:45 AM
  (Guess who quit the Y over the weekend and why...)

You know, this is the first thing I've ever heard publically negative about the Y - but I must say it doesn't suprise me.  I turned Anti-PAV on 2/11 - their "family day" - I was home alone with two flu-ridden children and couldn't get over there to sign up with the "waived" $125 initiation fee.  So I called to see if I could sign up and pay over the phone-and they said no.  They told me I could come in the following day or when my children were well, but that I would need to pay the initiation fee.  So, their unwillingness to take my membership information over the phone - was going to cost me $125.  I've since decided there are other places that my children can take swimming lessons, and I will join Curves (keeping my money in Berwyn).

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

scoon

Quote from: delbowz on February 28, 2007, 10:30:19 AM
You know, this is the first thing I've ever heard publically negative about the Y - but I must say it doesn't suprise me.  I turned Anti-PAV on 2/11 - their "family day" - I was home alone with two flu-ridden children and couldn't get over there to sign up with the "waived" $125 initiation fee.  So I called to see if I could sign up and pay over the phone-and they said no.  They told me I could come in the following day or when my children were well, but that I would need to pay the initiation fee.  So, their unwillingness to take my membership information over the phone - was going to cost me $125.  I've since decided there are other places that my children can take swimming lessons, and I will join Curves (keeping my money in Berwyn).

Ok, not to completely derail this thread, but I guess that's what I do.  (That and bitch fights.)

When we tendered our resignation, the two women at the counter seemed concerned and asked why.  From their comments we gathered that we're not the first to complain about this, and not the first to leave the Y because there was never any open equipment...  Except for the stationary bikes.  We also told the ladies that Mrs Scoon mentioned this problem to the Y's CEO and his glib response was, "The seniors like their bikes."  She asked him about the proposed expansion and it was all for the seniors.  She decided right then she wasn't going to look further into joining the Y Board and that we would be leaving if they didn't care about people our age.

I half thought someone might give us a call, but silly me...  now our Y membership will pay for our exercise equipment in less than a year.

OakParkSpartan

I'm still not thrilled about giving/leasing city property to the Y.  A significant number of their members are not from Berwyn...If I recall, the majority.

Cheers,
Brian

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 28, 2007, 01:19:08 PM
I'm still not thrilled about giving/leasing city property to the Y. 

???

What's this about, OPS?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

hounddog

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 28, 2007, 01:19:08 PM
I'm still not thrilled about giving/leasing city property to the Y.  A significant number of their members are not from Berwyn...If I recall, the majority.

Cheers,
Brian

well, where are they from?

delbowz

I'm still humored that the people going to the Y to presumably do some exercise, need to park closer than the lot by the tracks right behind the Y.

There is ALWAYS parking there and it's pretty well lit.

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

OakParkSpartan

Surrounding communities. The PAV people stated the makeup of the membership when this was first proposed...Berwyn residents were a minority, yet were being  asked to subsidize the non-residents. 

Cheers,
Brian

cozynite

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

OakParkSpartan

I believe it is part of Public Works.  Just to the east of the PAV.

Count DMC

A small sliver of the Public Works parking lot, the grassy area, for more parking. It was talked about before and now it looks like it will happen.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

scoon

I think they could make better use of the space they have for one.  The oversized jungle gym they have between the building and the tracks could easily add more room instead of having to take over city property.  Senior facilities downstairs and a very easy addition to the exercise room upstairs.