District 201 Board Meeting - March 14, 2007

Started by Ted, March 14, 2007, 09:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

The District 201 board meeting for March 14 was cancelled due to a lack of a forum.  Only 3 school board members were present for the meeting.

The private executive session was held (4 members were present for the executive session) but it was stated that one of the members left due to a family emergency so the regular board meeting was cancelled.

Bear

"Only 3 school board members were present for the meeting."

Kinda sez everything.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Ted

And, since BerwynPatsy is going to ask,  the board meeting was supposed to start at 7 PM but the board members did not come into the room until 7:45 PM, at which time they announced that the meeting had been cancelled.

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bear

Quote from: Ted Korbos on March 14, 2007, 09:41:42 PM

And, since BerwynPatsy is going to ask,  the board meeting was supposed to start at 7 PM but the board members did not come into the room until 7:45 PM, at which time they announced that the meeting had been cancelled.

Korbos/Titzer/ 2005/201
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bear

Whoops, 2007 Bonster, those pesky details get in the way all of the time.

- Uncle Al Z

dukesdad

Quotewas cancelled due to a lack of a forum

Did you mean quorum?

Ted

Quote from: dukesdad on March 15, 2007, 09:38:46 AM
Quotewas cancelled due to a lack of a forum

Did you mean quorum?

Yes, sorry.  I meant a lack of a quorum.

Berwyn Patsy

Ted, yes I would have wanted to know what time the meeting started.
I'll repeat the same question back I always do, why are the meetings started well past the 7:00 P.M. posted time start?? 
Why doesn't the Board vote on changing the original starting time of 7:P.M., to 7:30 P.M. ? Then the public would only have to wait about 1/2 hour for the meeting to start.
I have been attending school board meetings for over 1 year and NEVER once have they started on time or close to it.
If the board members and administrators are so inconsiderate of the people who are attendance, waiting every month, how inconsiderate are they of anything else?  Yes, time to change a few things in District 201.
I am also still waiting for the monthly agenda that is suppose to appear on 201's website for their meetings. It's never
posted? 
The board complains that the public is not interested in attending the meetings. Not true.
They just do not seem to encourage attendance.  Again, their is no excuse for rudeness.
The least they could do, is send some one out and let the audience know the meeting will be running late.
Does not one of them have any manners?

OakParkSpartan

Behavior that discourages public observation and  participation in Berwyn? Nahhhh, could never be  intentional.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

Does anyone know what was on the agenda for the March 14th meeting?  Just curious?
I haven't checked the website for 201 but I doubt that it has been posted.

Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on March 16, 2007, 11:35:28 AM
Does anyone know what was on the agenda for the March 14th meeting?  Just curious?
I haven't checked the website for 201 but I doubt that it has been posted.

Pat,

It was the usual agenda (expel students; pay the bills; allow use of facilities; approve trips;  hirings, promotions, retirements; etc.)

The biggest items on the agenda that I remember:

1) Nowakowski contract - The approval of Dr. Nowakowski's contract was deferred last month. The agenda had an item on it to take action.  This was a new law passed by the Illinois state legislature that took affect in February that all superintendent, principal and assistant principal contracts must be voted on and approved by a school board in the public forum.

2) Assistant principal contracts - The approval of each of the assistant principal contracts including, I am assuming, the contract of Erin Kelly, daughter of school board president Margaret Kelly.

3. Change Orders on building of Alternative School - Several change orders and contract approvals for building items on the building of the alternative school.

4. Approval of summer hours - Same as last year, approval of reduced hours during the summer for clerical staff.  Last year, I believe everyone got Fridays off.

In my mind, the biggest item was the Nowakowski item.  In February, the board easily approved the contracts of the new principals but deferred the Nowakowski contract to the March meeting because it appeared there were some hangups or disagreements.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

So, the approval of Dr. Nowakowski contract was deferred last month and not able to return this month due to the cancellation of the meeting. Is the next school board meeting scheduled after the school board elections??
Just curious again.

Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on March 16, 2007, 02:22:24 PM
So, the approval of Dr. Nowakowski contract was deferred last month and not able to return this month due to the cancellation of the meeting. Is the next school board meeting scheduled after the school board elections??
Just curious again.

It was stated at the board meeting that another "make-up" board meeting would be scheduled in the next few weeks before the regularly scheduled meeting in April.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

I would suspect they will wait last minute and then announce the date on the 201 website with out the agenda.
So very typical .
I hate sounding so cynical but it again comes down to the trust thing.
I am just thinking out loud now, but wonder if the hold up of the contract has to do with either a raise for Dr. Nowakowski, or could it be a termination of the contract?
Who's next in line?

Ted

Pat,

I think the lack of the quorum was legitimate.

I don't think they would terminate Nowakowski after only 6 months - He has been superintendent only this school year.

My guess is that there is a salary issue.  But, I don't think that one agenda item would have caused the board to purposely create a lack of a quorum.  They could just as easily deferred it to the April meeting.

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on March 16, 2007, 04:29:37 PM
I am just thinking out loud now, but wonder if the hold up of the contract has to do with either a raise for Dr. Nowakowski, or could it be a termination of the contract?
Who's next in line?

That's a good question.  I would imagine one of the principals or otherwise an outside search.  The business manager is an accountant, not someone with an educational background.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

If the issue is a salary issue, maybe it will be about a decrease in salary rather then a raise in salary!
No one will ever understand a justification of raises at this time.