COW/ and City Council Meeing 3/20/2007

Started by Berwyn Patsy, March 21, 2007, 08:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukesdad

Library board folks are appointed, not elected. People do things for different reasons. For some these kinds of jobs are stepping stones, others do it just to be involved with the community. In the library's case  the power struggle is in the city council between OC and Nona, not within the library board.

scoon

Berwyn Patsy

Thanks Brian and of course Scoon.  The meeting did not sound as nuts as it could have been.
Question #1.  Brian, when you stated that the BDC is a relatively independent body which is not subject to political whims, would that mean there might be some ties?
Question #2.  Who is in charge of Public works dept now?

scoon

OakParkSpartan

Not sure exactly what you are asking Patsy.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

scoon

Quote from: bohemian on March 21, 2007, 02:34:28 PM
Well....  thanks.  Good info and opinions on the BDC.

Like I said I was legitimately curious.

Here is one thing I am truly vocal about.  I still am confused about this whole Library Board and Park Board thing.  What makes people so hell bent on becoming members of the library board?  What do these people actually do?  I still believe it is a way for people to say that they are "elected officials" or a stepping stone for a bigger slot.  When there are references made that the mayor and some member of the library board are having a "power struggle" it makes me laugh.

Say what you will about the BDC, I personally think they're doing a good job with what they have, but when you look at it...  They're the only show in town.  I'd like to see Berwyn move away from novelty things like the Mutt Show and Cartopia, but what else do we have?  --  I do, however, think that the BDC could reach out to talents in the community beyond the business owners.

As for why people join the library or park board question, I think a good place to start would be finding out more about the positions.  Don't judge before you know what's all entailed. 

And as for it being a stepping stone, why do you imply that's a bad thing?  Legitimately curious.

delbowz

Thanks Brian and Scoon for recapping the meeting.

Scoon - we knew you couldn't stay away forever!

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

OakParkSpartan

I don't get why people find it so hard to understand some folks WANT to help the community where they live.  Must be their upbringing.

I'm not a fan of Cartopia, but I do think the Mutt Show is going to really take off.  Antonio  has been doing a fantastic job getting press and partners for the event. These have  been held on both coasts, but not in the midwest.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

bohemian

QuoteAnd as for it being a stepping stone, why do you imply that's a bad thing?  Legitimately curious.

Hopefully what you will learn about Berwyn politics is that there are VERY few people that "WANT to help the community where they live" and more who want these positions for personal gain or because they want to boost their own ego's.
Du Hast Mich!

Bear

Quote from: delbowz on March 21, 2007, 04:38:43 PM
Thanks Brian and Scoon for recapping the meeting.

Scoon - we knew you couldn't stay away forever!

Denise

Attendance at council meetings is not for the faint of heart, re-living the
events borders on self-flagellation (no, not flatuation). We admire those
who take it upon themselves to inform the masses who could not be present, and to share the pain inflicted to their hind quarters for a period of several hours.

-Teacher

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Terri

Quote from: bohemian on March 21, 2007, 06:05:34 PM
QuoteAnd as for it being a stepping stone, why do you imply that's a bad thing?  Legitimately curious.

Hopefully what you will learn about Berwyn politics is that there are VERY few people that "WANT to help the community where they live" and more who want these positions for personal gain or because they want to boost their own ego's.
Politics aside, there are people who truly want to help this community, no strings attached.  Its safe to say most on this board fit into that category.  Our community is our investment and that is why we care.  No strings attached.

Terri

cozynite

Quote from: scoon on March 21, 2007, 02:57:38 PM

My recap here:

http://www.berwyncommunitynews.com/

yes...  I went.  It's a sickness.

Bring a flask next time.  And Dixie cups so that you can share -- or sell and make a profit.
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: bohemian on March 21, 2007, 06:05:34 PM

Why do you feel the need to put down people who are working to improve things around here?   Attributing  motives to them that exist inside your own head?  Maybe instead, we should all shriek about the terrible gang problems rather than actually trying to address the (in reality, not so terrible) problems?

So...using your model, how would you hope that the town progresses?  Everyone sit inside and let...ghosts??birds??...do the work?

And frankly, I've met a LOT of people who do want to help the community.  And if taking pride in where you live boosts your ego, all the better.

Don't be so bitter.

Brian

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Brian,

I don't think it's biterness at all but rather a lifetime of hard lessons. Fortunately, there is a light at the end of the tunnel with some newcomers (and some old timers) who are trying to change the way things are usually done and the prevailing mindset. Nonetheless, it's very difficult to expect people in this town to take things at face value, at least for now. They've had a lifetime of jaded experience.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

bohemian

Thank you Panther.

QuoteDon't be so bitter.

Brian

Brian, I noticed that I did not get a Cheers.  Please do not be angry with me.

Du Hast Mich!

Bear

Quote from: P-PANTHER on March 21, 2007, 07:17:33 PM
Brian,

I don't think it's biterness at all but rather a lifetime of hard lessons. Fortunately, there is a light at the end of the tunnel with some newcomers (and some old timers) who are trying to change the way things are usually done and the prevailing mindset. Nonetheless, it's very difficult to expect people in this town to take things at face value, at least for now. They've had a lifetime of jaded experience.

Pantera, that mindset is gone, what was once considered the chosen few, has become
the power of the new Berwyn, we are the majority of change of which no political party here
has ever witnessed. We control Berwyn's destiny, unqualified politicians will be dismissed accordingly.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Bear,

Don't be so sure of that. '09 is just around the corner. Beware of the wolf in sheeps clothing.

I agree that the mindset has changed quite a bit, but the lessons of the past haven't been forgotten.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Cogito

"Hiring 5 additional full time dispatchers will cost the city $21,000 more and provide better service."

Clarification? Does this really mean that full time dispatchers only make $4,200 each/year? Or, more likely, that they make $21,000 each, which actually would be $105,000 in costs to the city?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

delbowz

Cog -

It means that is what the incremental cost to the city will be.  Today, they are needing to let folks work overtime to cover the shortage.  Eliminating overtime for the position is a savings, the salary and benefits is the cost  - and net net - you have an incremental charge of $21,000. 

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

OakParkSpartan

What Denise said it correct.

The $21k is the difference between overtime and part-time pay for 5 additional dispatchers.

Cheers,
Brian