News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

1/27/2009 City Council meeting

Started by Ted, January 24, 2009, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delbowz

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 28, 2009, 08:32:34 AM

Alderman Chapman's inquiry into the cost of parking stickers seemed to reveal that no money can be saved.  Ald. Phelan pointed out that more money was wasted compiling this report than could be saved in several years.  Ald. Chapman didn't seem to understand that black and white were two colors, not one. 

This was my favorite discussion of the night.  The stickers cost something like 17 CENTS each.  Chapman thinks we can save $1.00 a sticker?  And she said "black and white is one color".. HUH?

Also, I really want to know if it would Kill Nona and Michele to SMILE.   ;D

Also, and Brian, I don't know if I missed this in your recap... #4 wanted to add $35,000 to the budget for the historical commission.  It was voted down (mayor split the tie) - but how can you even suggest adding $35,000 to a budget you are already struggling to trim??????

Red light camera at East and 26th is being relocated to Harlem and Ogden I think???

The vote on the mobile units for the school were deferred for 2 weeks, giving school administrators time to canvass the community to get input from the neighbors.

Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

OakParkSpartan

Those are all correct.

There seems to be some confusion amongst council members regarding the Historical Commission (which they created) and the Historical Society (which is an independent non-profit). I didn't read the packet to see what the money was being requested for.  Sounded like some plaques and other items.  Skryd claimed she had taken this to the BDC and they said these items were TIF eligible.  Why is this stuff never put in writing (as the mayor said)?  A simple request to have the BDC director send an email to the aldermen and the mayor would have had this information in their hands, rather than doing everything by phone calls and letting confusion reign.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

delbowz

And, to add to the confusion...

I didn't think where the items were going was in a TIF district.  So, how are they TIF eligible??????

ZORBA

delbowz,

What you fail address is that THIS particular fireman was injured while exercising, not battling a blaze. I think that's where OC's frustration (and probably the taxpayer) comes in. And he put in a claim for potential overtime.

I'm sure exercise is considered to be in the scope of employment for firefighters, legally, but boy oh boy are you going to have a hard time gathering public sympathy if you're the firefighter in question.

I don't think this has anything to do with "campaign moves", but rather a genuine desire to protect the taxpayers interests.

delbowz

Quote from: ZORBA on January 28, 2009, 10:24:15 AM
delbowz,

What you fail address is that THIS particular fireman was injured while exercising, not battling a blaze. I think that's where OC's frustration (and probably the taxpayer) comes in. And he put in a claim for potential overtime.

I'm sure exercise is considered to be in the scope of employment for firefighters, legally, but boy oh boy are you going to have a hard time gathering public sympathy if you're the firefighter in question.

I don't think this has anything to do with "campaign moves", but rather a genuine desire to protect the taxpayers interests.

I understand and appreciate and respect OC's desire and actions to protect the taxpayer.  However, all the FF was asking last night was for OC to set the record straight.  That he was in fact NOT suing the  City - he asked for an apology for mis-information that was provided - and he didn't get it.  I understand OC's response wasn't a 'strategy' - but maybe this close to an election it SHOULD have been - that's all I'm saying.

OC used ONE person as an example of the issues the town is facing with workmans comp claims.  I don't think that's fair .  That's all I"m saying Andy.  Is Bewryn's Workmans Comp really out of whack with what other like size communities have?  WE dont' know that.  Does the FD have excessive claims, we don't know that either.  The only thing we do know is that one person has now been singled out to serve as the name and face of the workmans comp issues this city has.

Acorn

Zorba,
The firefighter NEVER put in a claim for overtime. Your Wrong again!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: delbowz on January 28, 2009, 10:21:10 AM
And, to add to the confusion...

I didn't think where the items were going was in a TIF district.  So, how are they TIF eligible??????

No idea...I hadn't read that item in the packet, so I don't even know what they were requesting money for. 

If they aren't in a TIF district, that is an even better reason these communications should be in written, not oral, form.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: delbowz on January 28, 2009, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: ZORBA on January 28, 2009, 10:24:15 AM
delbowz,

I understand and appreciate and respect OC's desire and actions to protect the taxpayer.  However, all the FF was asking last night was for OC to set the record straight.  That he was in fact NOT suing the  City - he asked for an apology for mis-information that was provided - and he didn't get it.  I understand OC's response wasn't a 'strategy' - but maybe this close to an election it SHOULD have been - that's all I'm saying.

OC used ONE person as an example of the issues the town is facing with workmans comp claims.  I don't think that's fair .  That's all I"m saying Andy.  Is Bewryn's Workmans Comp really out of whack with what other like size communities have?  WE dont' know that.  Does the FD have excessive claims, we don't know that either.  The only thing we do know is that one person has now been singled out to serve as the name and face of the workmans comp issues this city has.

But until the guy came forward, he was "a firefighter".  If someone hadn't PM'ed me with his name, I would only have said a guy with a shaved head. I think he was pretty anonymous to the general public. 

ZORBA

Quote from: Acorn on January 28, 2009, 10:38:08 AM
Zorba,
The firefighter NEVER put in a claim for overtime. Your Wrong again!

Well Acorn, THIS is what Brian relayed:

Apparently he gets overtime on a regular basis and feels because he is not getting the overtime he deserved to be compensated and filed the workmans comp claim. Sorry, but that is BS.
Now whether or not you want to term it overtime, or whether he put in the claim for actual overtime lost or BECAUSE he wasn't getting overtime, is of little significance.

What people got out of it is that his lost additional hours/overtime served as an impetus for the claim.

EC

OPS:

The BHPC request was put in written form, you have to read the packet. And yes, potentially some of these things would be out of the TIF disttricts but I assume that would be hashed out when the coucil receives answers as to what is actually qualifies for TIF and what is not. And yes, there is confusion between the BHPC and the BHS, they are not one in the same.

delbowz

And I stand corrected, I belive it was a request to add $10,000 to the budget for the historical commission, not $35,000 - but still, adding any line item when you are already struggling to make cuts just makes no sense to me.

Robert Pauly

Quote from: delbowz on January 28, 2009, 10:13:06 AM

Alderman Chapman's inquiry into the cost of parking stickers seemed to reveal that no money can be saved.  Ald. Phelan pointed out that more money was wasted compiling this report than could be saved in several years.  Ald. Chapman didn't seem to understand that black and white were two colors, not one. 

This was my favorite discussion of the night.  The stickers cost something like 17 CENTS each.  Chapman thinks we can save $1.00 a sticker?  And she said "black and white is one color".. HUH?

If the paper or the plastic or whatever material they use for stickers is supplied in white, for example, only one color would have to be printed to yield a two-color print job.  Perhaps that's what she's talking about.

delbowz

The stickers are clear - I think  thats the industry standard.  I don't even think she knew what she was talking about anymore.  It's a sad state of affairs when you are looking at cost savings on something with a per piece price tag of $0.17.

delbowz

Ald Chapman also thought it crazy to get rid of a couple of 14 year old cars.  Rather that we should keep repairing them.

This was my other favorite.  #1 totally had an attitude that she didn't get the packet of info on the car maintenance histroy until right before the meeting so she didn't have adequate time to review them.....  UNTIL BL said that he personally provided the copies to save money and this was the soonest he could get them to everyone.  I think that may be the ONE time #1 smiled...

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: delbowz on January 28, 2009, 11:17:43 AM
And I stand corrected, I belive it was a request to add $10,000 to the budget for the historical commission, not $35,000 - but still, adding any line item when you are already struggling to make cuts just makes no sense to me.

They clearly stated $35k. 

EC, I was referring to the TIF information that Skryd mentioned, not the request itself from the Commission.

delbowz

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 28, 2009, 11:57:58 AM
They clearly stated $35k. 

See, this is why I don't type up meeting summaries.  Suffice it to say, I have no idea how much $$$$ it was, but that an amount of money was requested to be put in the already in the red budget, and was voted down (4-4, mayor breaking tie).

:)

Felix Greco

Here is the agenda for the 1/27/2009 city council meeting.  It looks like the new parking garage is not getting off to a good start (E3); the mayor states that the sergeant promotions will cost the city $26,000 (F3) (not $3,000 as Alderman Chapman claimed); The Children's School of Oak Park (located at St. Mary of Celle) wants to expand to be K-8 but the city denied a request for mobile units (Item I1); The mayor presents evidence to Alderman Chapman that he has reduced the cost of vehicle stickers (Item J6); and the city wants plans for the Maple Pool (Item F1)

Mayor withdrew his communication regarding the SGT. promotion.

Children School in St Mary of Celle was deferred for 2 weeks after the gentlemen representing the school explained that they wanted to add another grade so it would be K-6.  This was done during the open COW session. Actually after the council had already voted to go to closed session.  #8 looked at the mayor and asked for the Children School gentleman to be able to speak.  Mayor said next time let me know ahead of time (or words to that effect) so it could have been put on the COW agenda. Suggestion was made to survey the neighborhood and get back to council with results.  Erickson offered to help the gentleman write the survey!   ::)  Mayor requested that when the survey questions were complete send them to city hall via email and he would get them to the aldermen to review. City has not denied or approved the request.

Out of the 75 students currently enrolled in the school about 5-10 are Berwyn residents children.

They are on a time constraint because they would like to notify the parents of the 5th graders if there will indeed be a 6th grade next year.  The gentleman also stated that he had been in contact with #8 on December 15th and again in January.  Mayor heard about it sometime after Christmas.

Redspeed camera from 26th & East will be moved to Cermak & Harlem.

Snow removal is being revamped.

BHPC did request a line item for the budget.  #4 said she spoke with Tony Griffin and most of the $45K could/would be covered by TIF monies.  So if approved the difference would be $10K added to the budget essentially.  But the request was to be put into the budget and if the money was there they would go with it.  The budget is still being considered and there is another budget hearing scheduled. 

#3 communication regarding At&T boxes was sent to PW and Budget(?) committee

Firefighter addressed the council and the mayor and all he was asking for was an apology.  Instead he was grilled on Workers Comp issues that had nothing to do with him. It was stated by the mayor that it was not in the contract. BTW, for those who don't know Workers Compensatation is state and federal law.  It is in the contract and doesn't have to be spelled out anyway because of state and federal laws.  BTW, he did not get the apology!

Joe Vallez requested $50K for a study(ies) regarding the Maple pool.

No money would be coming from the NBPD.  Mayor said it would be paid out of the Bond/Infrastructure fund.  He also stated that $30K was spent in emergency repairs at Maple Pool year before last.  Joe Vallez and Tony Martinucci have been in contact with each other and working together on the possible transfer.

That is the way I heard it and saw it.  Will check the tape to double check for accuracy.  :)

More as I have time to review my notes.

All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity. ---Robert Kennedy

OakParkSpartan

Why do we care that there are only 5-10 Berwyn kids enrolled there?  Did the representative from the school state that?

Why wouldn't we want to support a Berwyn Business? 

If people from outside Berwyn are coming here everyday, maybe they'll have a favorable impression of the school.

Felix Greco

Just repeating the questions and answers that were asked and given.  Yes the representative from the school said that. DUH! I wouldn't have printed it otherwise.

A recap was asked for and given on the meeting. 
All of us might wish at times that we lived in a more tranquil world, but we don't. And if our times are difficult and perplexing, so are they challenging and filled with opportunity. ---Robert Kennedy

rbain

Because having businesses and services that people in other communities might want to actually enter Berwyn to use would be "trying to turn Berwyn into Oak Park". We should continue to foster a business climate that no one wants to visit– gotta keep it real.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."