1/27/2009 City Council meeting

Started by Ted, January 24, 2009, 06:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 28, 2009, 10:17:43 AM
Why is this stuff never put in writing (as the mayor said)?  A simple request to have the BDC director send an email to the aldermen and the mayor would have had this information in their hands, rather than doing everything by phone calls and letting confusion reign.
I know why.  Because through recently released documents it turns out that Mortimer Snyrd and Michele Skyrd are one in the same!
For those of you under 50, Google Mortimer Snyrd.  It's a hoot!
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

buzz

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 28, 2009, 10:12:41 AM
Those workman's comp claims were for all employees, not just the BPD and BFD.   I'd be curious to see the breakdown between various departments.  I'd think PD, FD and PW would have the largest number of claims, due to the physical nature of the work they do.
I'm getting into a lot of trouble but, nothing new.  How much was Francine's lawsuit settled for ? I heard she was Judge Turrell's 300 lb. niece .  Just a rumor of course.  We could always ask Nona.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Shelley

Quote from: TWW on January 28, 2009, 01:37:58 PM

Children School in St Mary of Celle was deferred for 2 weeks after the gentlemen representing the school explained that they wanted to add another grade so it would be K-6.  This was done during the open COW session. Actually after the council had already voted to go to closed session.  #8 looked at the mayor and asked for the Children School gentleman to be able to speak.  Mayor said next time let me know ahead of time (or words to that effect) so it could have been put on the COW agenda. Suggestion was made to survey the neighborhood and get back to council with results.  Erickson offered to help the gentleman write the survey!   ::)  Mayor requested that when the survey questions were complete send them to city hall via email and he would get them to the aldermen to review. City has not denied or approved the request.

Out of the 75 students currently enrolled in the school about 5-10 are Berwyn residents children.

They are on a time constraint because they would like to notify the parents of the 5th graders if there will indeed be a 6th grade next year.  The gentleman also stated that he had been in contact with #8 on December 15th and again in January.  Mayor heard about it sometime after Christmas.

I think as long as it is not costing Berwyn anything, our city should support this school.  From what I know, it is a progressive, somewhat expensive private school that would fill some of the void left in that neighborhood since St. Mary of Celle closed.  It seems like a great education option for families in the area and from neighboring communities.  I know a few Berwyn families that are considering the school for next year.  I think it has been only a year or two since the school made Berwyn home and I hope our city welcomes the opportunity to have the school with enthusiasm rather than paralysis that is usually caused by any kind of change in this town.  A planning timeline is important for private schools.  Families plan in the spring for education the following year and if our city council drags their feet on this, it could mean losing students and risking a big setback in the long-term viability for this school in Berwyn.  After getting the community input, I hope CC makes a quick decision to NOT stand in the way of the expansion of this school. 

chandasz

Thank you Shelley.

I agree. This school is not hugely expensive for a private education and may offer incentive for people considering living in Berwyn.

I think businesses like the Children's School have the potential to turn around the reputation that Berwyn seems to be mired in.

tony la

This is a prime example of personalities getting in the way of moving Berwyn forward.  Skryd voted against raising the sticker 5 bucks.  That five bucks would have gone a long way in achieving a balance.  It was not the 5 bucks, it was revenge.  Now she wants 10k or 35k which ever one it is.  Where is the common sense here.  Personally I like Michelle, but this was way wrong. 
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Shelley

Quote from: tony la on January 29, 2009, 12:15:15 PM
This is a prime example of personalities getting in the way of moving Berwyn forward.  Skryd voted against raising the sticker 5 bucks.  That five bucks would have gone a long way in achieving a balance.  It was not the 5 bucks, it was revenge.  Now she wants 10k or 35k which ever one it is.  Where is the common sense here.  Personally I like Michelle, but this was way wrong. 

Tony,  I agree and it seems to me that this revenge/obstructionism is on both sides.  Raise the sticker price 5 bucks and make the stickers black and white if that is any savings at all.  All additional revenue should go directly toward purchasing salt and a reserve for public works OT when we have storms. 

Actually, how about a discounted price for a sticker for "garage cars".  1/2 price because you commit to parking in your garage.  If a "garage car" is parked on the street...ticket the car w/ a fine of the difference between the two stickers.  All of that revenue should go to car related city expenses, too. 

Just an idea.
Shelley

tony la

Kind of like my idea which fell on deaf ears. Every residence is eligible for 2 yellow stickers for vehicles. If you have a 3rd vehicle it has to have a garage for it.  Any 3rd vehicle gets a red sticker.  If a red sticker is on the street after 11pm it gets a ticket..   And this could be a complaint driven ordinance.  If there are many cars on the street at night all the police have to do is look for a red sticker on that block after 11 and give them a ticket.  I may be wrong but it is a pretty simple idea and I think it get many 3 car families to either rent a garage or clean out theirs.  Also I think garage spaces will be getting a decent monthly price for a rental.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

EC

Tony: I think it would work better in reverse: you get two red stickers for cars that cannot be on the street after 11 PM, and one yellow sticker for the car that can. That way you are forced to get TWO cars off the street, not just one. I am a three car family and religously park two of the cars in my garage, after all that's what it was made for. My third must stay on the street, but at least I have two off the street. Or did I miss read your post?

tony la

That works well for single family homes but what about the 2s and 3s on the north end.  That would be the only problem.  It is still way better than oak park having no cars on the street.  It's like the smoking in a public place.  When the law first came out there was much opposition.  Now I think some of the smokers actually like the idea.  Samething,  people would get used to it and after awhile they would like the fact that the street was empty and clean.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

FedUp

Quote from: tony la on January 29, 2009, 04:01:28 PM
That works well for single family homes but what about the 2s and 3s on the north end.  That would be the only problem.  It is still way better than oak park having no cars on the street.  It's like the smoking in a public place.  When the law first came out there was much opposition.  Now I think some of the smokers actually like the idea.  Samething,  people would get used to it and after awhile they would like the fact that the street was empty and clean.

What people need to get used to is the fact that they DON'T live in the suburbs. The fact is this is CITY LIVING. There are now and there will always be too many cars. So we are inconvenienced by a couple of snow days. The streets of Berwyn will never be empty of cars. If thats what we want we should all move to Plainfield..............Oh but leave your cars here!!! 

tony la

Just a thought. I don't it right that one family has 4-5 cars and another has 1-2 and they can't park.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

EC

The key is getting people to use the garages that they have. Or even build garages if they don't or build bigger ones. Some incentive to build? Reduced building dept. fees or small CDBG grants? As for the multi-family buildings, Should the bldg. owners try to make better provisions for tenants rather than letting tham fend for themslves? A near by parking lot for nigh parking? The new developers coming in say their tenants don't have cars, or kids for that matter. But if you build 3 bedroom units, are you telling me it's for one or two adults that walk all the time? Just a thought. If I had the answers I probably would not be here right now.

A.Malina

Re using the garages they have: often, when applying for a handicapped parking sign, residents explain that they need the sign because the garage is too full of stuff to use.  Perhaps the city could have an arrangement with one of those "we'll clear your clutter" businesses and give a discount to residents making use of those services.  For example:

http://www.1800junkusa.com/articles/chicago-junk-removal.php

"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Berwyn Patsy

I never could understand, why people insist on keeping clutter/garbage in their
garages?  It is probably part of the hoarding syndrome some have.
What should be stored in a garage?  Car, lawn mower, bikes, snow blower more then that could be
a fire hazard, or a breeding place for mice and rats!!

apatriot

Patsy, as far as the Bungalows go ... years ago not as many ppl had finished attics and basements.  Now, lots of Bungalows have been built out.  They have bedrooms upstairs, family room in the basement.  For them, the garage now is the only place for storage.  Couple that with fact that people tend to have more than 2 cars (because of teenagers, or whatever), and it just piles onto to the list of reasons ppl don't use their garage.

n01_important

Parking garages are to park cars, not store clutter.  Most people also don't make good use of space.  Buy some shelves and get organized.  Make room for the car.

Also, if a developer is building an apartment building, they should make provisions for parking.  At least provide 1 space per apartment.

Maybe we can raise fees to deter parking on the street?  If you have a 2 car garage, you can get 2 stickers at a lower price but you must park in the garage (except weekends).  If you have 1, you get 1 sticker.  If you have none, or have more than your alloted share, you pay a few hundred dollars per year.  The fees could only be used for enforcement of the parking regulation. 

Damn, I'm starting to sound like liberal!?  Maybe I should go to therapy.
Stupid fuck

Nazerac

n01, you are actually sounding like a TRUE conservative who believes in how the markets can correct themselves. 

We are dealing with a limited supply of parking spaces, and demand is ever increasing.  Your request to increase the price of the commodity (parking on the street) or even lowering the price for parking in the garage (high supply, low demand) is what the market is demanding.  Unfortunaltely, It's the liberals that want to have free parking for all, all the time, and not allow the price to change according to the market conditions.

chandasz

Wow. Where my SIL lives in LA-- they are now required to have enough space in their garage to use for its purpose.

Having too much clutter is not the city's problem

maraire

Quote from: n01_important on January 30, 2009, 09:46:33 AM
Parking garages are to park cars, not store clutter.  Most people also don't make good use of space.  Buy some shelves and get organized.  Make room for the car.

Also, if a developer is building an apartment building, they should make provisions for parking.  At least provide 1 space per apartment.

Maybe we can raise fees to deter parking on the street?  If you have a 2 car garage, you can get 2 stickers at a lower price but you must park in the garage (except weekends).  If you have 1, you get 1 sticker.  If you have none, or have more than your alloted share, you pay a few hundred dollars per year.  The fees could only be used for enforcement of the parking regulation. 

Damn, I'm starting to sound like liberal!?  Maybe I should go to therapy.

Developers don't as a rule build apartment bldgs. As they do not want to be landlords. What they do build are condos. When developing these condos they have to show 1.5 parking spaces per unit. Obviously not enough but at least there are some parameters.

n01_important

Quote from: maraire on January 30, 2009, 10:42:37 AM
Developers don't as a rule build apartment bldgs. As they do not want to be landlords. What they do build are condos. When developing these condos they have to show 1.5 parking spaces per unit. Obviously not enough but at least there are some parameters.

True that.  But don't they sell the spaces separately?
Stupid fuck