12/19/2006 COW meeting

Started by Berwyn Patsy, December 19, 2006, 06:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berwyn Patsy

A few good items on tonight's agenda.  I won't be able to go, so hopefully some one else will be able to report.
Super Block proposals, lower pool passes, and of course my favorite thing to moan and groan about, locked dumpsters . These are a few of the items to be discussed.

OakParkSpartan

The Gunny  Harboe proposal stood  out.    I personally could live  with the 3rd presentation.   They changed  it from  senior  housing  to condos  (I happen to think  listening  to the community is a good thing...but  I also  see  the point that their proposal keeps  changing).  The second group  that had all the mold worries seemed  as  though   they were out of their  league quite  frankly.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mustang54

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on December 19, 2006, 06:20:22 PM
A few good items on tonight's agenda.  I won't be able to go, so hopefully some one else will be able to report.
Super Block proposals, lower pool passes, and of course my favorite thing to moan and groan about, locked dumpsters . These are a few of the items to be discussed.
Patsy, the superslum i mean superblock is already a locked dumpster isn't it?

OakParkSpartan

Mustang,

Have  you bothered to look at the proposals?

I guess an internationally recognized preservation architect really doesn't know what he is doing...glad we have  someone from Cicero to set him straight.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mustang54

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 20, 2006, 09:15:18 AM
Mustang,

Have  you bothered to look at the proposals?

I guess an internationally recognized preservation architect really doesn't know what he is doing...glad we have  someone from Cicero to set him straight.

Cheers,
Brian
Well Mr sarcastic one there has been over a decade of proposals. And as stated by others in previous topics, proposals are just that, proposals. Like to see some reality on that corner instead of proposals and rhetoric. Actually there are quite a few people in Cicero that could teach you a few things.

OakParkSpartan

Guess  I've missed you at the presentations Mustang.

mustang54

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 20, 2006, 11:40:10 AM
Guess  I've missed you at the presentations Mustang.
Don't have to be there. Heard and read all about them. Am i impressed with some, yes. But its not the bidders that worry me Brian. Its how long will it take to come to fruition.
It is a huge first step in the redevelopment of Cermak Road. Its also a huge feel good shot in the arm the whole city needs right now. They need to see PROGRESS!!

Robert Pauly

Quote from: mustang54 on December 20, 2006, 08:14:12 AMPatsy, the superslum i mean superblock is already a locked dumpster isn't it?

I love it when the Cicero guys come over and start taking whacks at our town.  What's the Bible verse about the speck of dirt?  Perhaps we should all start posting derogatory stuff about Cicero over at the Cicero BB.

mustang54

Quote from: Melliman on December 21, 2006, 07:34:34 AM
Quote from: mustang54 on December 20, 2006, 08:14:12 AMPatsy, the superslum i mean superblock is already a locked dumpster isn't it?

I love it when the Cicero guys come over and start taking whacks at our town.  What's the Bible verse about the speck of dirt?  Perhaps we should all start posting derogatory stuff about Cicero over at the Cicero BB.
Everyone who drives by that corner has been takingg whacks at it for over a decade no matter where they live. And for very good reason.I have takin a lot less whacks at Berwyn than a lot of you have taking at what you perceive as the evil empire known as Cicero. Hey if that corner makes you happy and you feel it is what Berwyn stands for, then i think i have a higher opinion of the city than you do.

Dancing Queen

I'm with Mustang on this one. That damn building's been vacant for 30 years now. Tear the damn thing down.  It's not the Taj Mahal.

Terri

Before you criticize, check into the history of the Bank building, or maybe you already know.  I think the Bank building proposals are moving along at a brisk pace.  The City and BDC are meeting their goals.

Terri

scoon

Save it.  Raze it. (which none of the proposals call for btw...)  I don't give a sh*t.  Just make it clear to your Alderman or any of the Alderman you see that something/anything needs to happen.

They must vote on this ASAP.

OakParkSpartan

They will.  First meeting in January I believe.

The Harboe group has stated they will begin work in roughly 6 months.  They will,  however, begin to stabilize the bank immediately ie. fix water leaks, tuckpoint, etc.  to prevent further damage.

Cheers,
Brian

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 21, 2006, 12:09:16 PM
They will.  First meeting in January I believe.

That's what I heard too...  but would you be surprised if it wasn't voted on?  You show alot of confidence, but I know I wouldn't be surprised if personal bullsh*t got in the way again. 

That's why I said to make sure the Alderman understand how seriously this is to us.  This vote will be a BIG part of their legacy.

Then focus needs to turn to the Sedgewick property.

OakParkSpartan

I think they realize it.  At  least the ones I've spoken with.

Cheers,
Brian

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 21, 2006, 02:16:12 PM
I think they realize it.  At  least the ones I've spoken with.

Those aren't the ones I'm worried about.

Jim Stillo

Terri,
On the other thread you mentioned one of the groups offered 3.5 million with no assistance. That's not true.It also sounds like some of the proposals have back up plans if certain things don't materialize. Here we go again!
Before anyone starts construction they will need pre-sales. What happens if they don't have enough to start construction?
Does the property sit again? They change plans? The city does another RFQ?I also didn't answer your question on the last thread about the changing market over the last six years-sorry. My answer is it has changed, the condo market is horrible and will continue to be for awhile.
Jim Stillo
James D. Stillo
Skydan Real Estate Sales
www.SkydanGroup.com

Count DMC

Im with Jim on this one, lots of planning and voodoo accounting only to have the same results, an unsightly barren lot.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

The group which offered 3.5 million derived  that amount from their proposed sharing  of the profits from leasing the commercial  space.  The city would get 40% of the profits, and at some point, that would equal 3.5  million. 

All they were proposing is shifting the risk from their development company to us, the taxpayers of Berwyn.   If there were no profits (profits = Income-Expenses, not  just  the income), the city would receive nothing.  Betcha a good  accountant can minimize profits.

Cheers,
Brian

Bear

Harboe is a class organization, in the highly competitive arena they
work in, you are only as good as your last project. I'm quite sure they will pay their due,
it is in their best interest to make the development nothing short of stellar, and a portfolio
show and tell case study for future clients.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...