News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Park District takes over pools from city

Started by Ted, January 19, 2008, 08:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: Prometheus on January 22, 2008, 09:44:55 PM
How about getting our respectable alderman, Mr. Lovero, involved in the discussion? 

If he wants to show a sign of respect and earn a bit, he'll get his nose into this.
But, oh!  That would mean possibly opposing someone he supports, criminally...see above NBPD commissioner Michael Phelan!
Wonder how Mike feels about this?  After all, he wants "to continue to provide the finest recreation facilities to the residents of North Berwyn."

Come on Bobby, what say you?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Crunchie

Quote from: Prometheus on January 22, 2008, 09:44:55 PM
It seems strange to me that we, the taxpayers, actually finance those who do damage to us and our property.  How about getting our respectable alderman, Mr. Lovero, involved in the discussion?  Why do we have multiple park districts within a small Berwyn?  Why are we paying their salaries and benefits?  Could anyone answer, please? 
Because the public elects these bozos into office. Even though they are not accountable to their constituents, they somehow get reelected year after year. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The idea of changing what little green space there is into a parking lot should be so far out of the realm of acceptability that no one should even dare contemplate such an outrageous idea, but here they are anyway. No shame. No accountability. Whose palm is getting greased this time?

Bonster

Linkage! (thanks Cari!)
http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/news/x1295941404

District plans to take on city pools

By Cari Brokamp, cbrokamp@mysuburbanlife.com
Berwyn Life
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 06:28 PM CST

Two Berwyn pools managed by the city may be taken over by the North Berwyn Park District as early as this summer, as part of a long-discussed land swap [<- read: LAND LOSS] that may come to fruition in the coming months.

The plan would provide that in exchange for the pools, the city would receive land the Park District owns in the Berwyn Gardens area, just north of Cermak Road.
That land would be used for still to be determined commercial developments.
Joe Vallez, executive director of the Park District, and Berwyn Mayor Michael O'Connor said the arrangement has been in discussions since the beginning of this administration, nearly three years ago.

Vallez said he plans to seek grant money to improve and eventually replace the decades-old pools, Cuyler Pool in the 1900 block of Cuyler Avenue and the pool at Kriz Park in the 1500 block of Maple Avenue, with more modern facilities. These renovations would allow for outdoor features like a lazy river or water slides, or for the development of a neighboring fitness center, possibly with an indoor pool.

"What the pools are doing now is providing opportunities for residents, but there are new state-of-the-art things out there that these pools could never offer," Vallez said. "What's most important in pools today is that there's areas for each age group to go and recreate in. ... This is something that should happen in Berwyn because this is something that is happening in communities all around the Chicago area, and Berwyn residents should have the same opportunities."

The pools are managed by the Berwyn Recreation Department, and O'Connor said the Park District has greater capabilities to take on the challenges of managing high-maintenance recreational facilities such as pools.

"Most importantly, the Park District is experienced in recreation," O'Connor said. "Our recreation department is pretty much centered at 31st Street and East Avenue so ... it's a location thing. It's also a lot easier for them to manage the pools and it's something they've really aspired to."

O'Connor said the land the city would receive in the swap would likely be used to expand retail space and offer more parking for businesses, developments to be accomplished at an undetermined time in the future.

[KEY!]
The land swap would still be subject to the City Council's approval and the outcome of a public hearing before it could be finalized, O'Connor said.

Vallez said he expects the Park District to assume management of the pool at Kriz Park this summer, and Cuyler Pool in the summer of 2009.

The North Berwyn Park District already manages the majority of the recreational space at Kriz Park, including a skate park and a passive area used for outdoor concerts and movies.

The Park District oversees a spray pool at Pyrce Park at 16th Street and Wesley Avenue, but no swimming pools.

Vallez said acquiring the pools will allow for increased programming within the Park District for residents, including a junior lifeguard program and swim teams and lessons.

###

Again, can a legal eagle or someone in the know explain why responsibility cannot be assumed without a land swap fleecing by the city?
It sounds to me like he's dangling this over the NBPD's head to get some land for undetermined projects at an undertermined time!!!
If it's simply not possible, TFB!

rbain

Quote from: Bonster on January 22, 2008, 10:08:33 PM
The plan would provide that in exchange for the pools, the city would receive land the Park District owns in the Berwyn Gardens area, just north of Cermak Road.
Joe Vallez, executive director of the Park District, and Berwyn Mayor Michael O'Connor said the arrangement has been in discussions since the beginning of this administration, nearly three years ago.

This doesn't say that the city is taking the Berwyn Gardens, it says "land the Park District owns in the Berwyn Gardens area".

-Rob
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Berwyn Patsy

It appears to look like the "heat is on".
Bonster, you might want to think about starting an up rise and leading the troops.

tgoddess

Maybe we need Joni Mitchell to come and stage a sit-in with all the Berwyn tree-huggers.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZgMEPk6fvpg&rel=1

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bonster

Good one, tgoddess!
Although I don't care as much about the vegetation in that long, narrow layout as I do the space, period.  Heck, my idea involves getting rid of it. :D

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on January 23, 2008, 06:29:25 AM
Bonster, you might want to think about starting an up rise and leading the troops.

BP->

Bonster

Quote from: rbain on January 22, 2008, 11:20:48 PM
Quote from: Bonster on January 22, 2008, 10:08:33 PM

This doesn't say that the city is taking the Berwyn Gardens, it says "land the Park District owns in the Berwyn Gardens area".

-Rob

The NBPD-owned land in the Berwyn Gardens area is this:

Click to Enlarge

I never indicated they're taking all of Berwyn Gardens, I'm arguing any loss of public space is bad, considering what we have up North.

Of least impact would be the loss of space between the blocks of Grove and Kenilworth, which presently houses storage facilities.
That would be a fight the immediate neighbors would wage (traffic, etc.). 
Plans for relocation would be made known and hopefully not impacting Berwyn Gardens.
It is fishy, though, how the community meetings regarding redesign were cancelled without notice.

Berwyn Patsy

I like that idea also Maggie!  Can you just see the Aldermens, and Mayors faces as they witnessed a guiter singing sit in. That tune was kinda catchy!
Bonster, your post with the rah,rah cheer leader made me laugh!  

Crunchie

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on January 23, 2008, 08:45:27 AM
Can you just see the Aldermens, and Mayors faces as they witnessed a guiter singing sit in.
That, I would like to see.  :D

Bonster

Question:

Who can better manage parks - the City or the Park District?

scoon

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on January 25, 2008, 10:30:59 AM
Question:

The more interesting question is if they aren't being managed well now, why isn't that problem being addressed?  Oh, wait, the guy in charge of the rec department holds 3 jobs.  But he's dedicated to Berwyn.  righttttttttttt.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Crunchie

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 25, 2008, 10:36:47 AM
Question:

The more interesting question is if they aren't being managed well now, why isn't that problem being addressed? 
A more interesting question. Nobody seems to think the city is being managed well. Why isn't that being addressed?

scoon

Quote from: Crunchie on January 25, 2008, 03:19:04 PM
A more interesting question. Nobody seems to think the city is being managed well. Why isn't that being addressed?

What do you propose?

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 25, 2008, 10:36:47 AM
Question:

The more interesting question is if they aren't being managed well now, why isn't that problem being addressed? 

<..."Steady as can be.  Always has been, always will be.  Ho Hum. "

Crunchie

Quote from: scoon on January 25, 2008, 03:57:07 PM

What do you propose?

Anarchy.

Ted

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/news/business/x1274373660/City-and-park-district-to-swap-land-for-Berwyn-Gateway  

City and park district to swap land for Berwyn Gateway

By Brett Schweinberg,
bschweinberg@mysuburbanlife.com
Berwyn Life
Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Berwyn, IL — Berwyn Mayor Robert Lovero confirmed that a proposed land swap between the North Berwyn Park District and the city would benefit the Berwyn Gateway project at the northeast corner of Harlem Avenue and Cermak Road.

In the proposed agreement, the city would cede two pools in northern Berwyn to the park district in exchange for a portion of the Vacin Fairway stretching roughly from Wenonah Avenue to Maple Avenue. That land would then be sold or leased to developers for the Berwyn Gateway.

An ordinance to finalize the agreement was deferred for two weeks at a City Council meeting Tuesday night. Lovero said the city was still working on a few of the final details in the agreement, but declined to be more specific.

Lovero has previously stated that there is at least one very interesting tenant for the project, but has declined to publicly name the company before the deal is finalized.

OakParkSpartan

So let me see if I understand this.

Two pools already exist.  Our "leaders" have decided that they want to get rid of 40% of the Berwyn Gardens park (including a playground).  Net result is less park land in north Berwyn. 

Don't try and spin it that NBPD is gaining two pools...the pools already exist.

Seems like the winner here is a developer and not the people who vote.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

NYWREB

But they are also getting a new playground - the Bracato one, right?

It may be unrealated to this swap - but they are losing a playground and getting a brand new one, along with two pools - and a nicely developed corner.  Is it ALL bad??