2012 Second Installment Property Tax Bill

Started by Evil T, July 02, 2013, 01:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Quote from: B o n s t e r on July 06, 2013, 01:16:40 PM
My taxes went down, no appeal, to $3070.  :)

DAMN!  That's pretty good. Get down on your knees and thank the D98 board for that.

Ted

Quote from: watcher on July 06, 2013, 08:46:46 AM

For me the most frustrating aspect of our education situation is that very well paid people in education completely FAIL to educate the public about what's being done and why. If they can't explain it, how can they possibly be taken seriously as educators? It's called PUBLIC education. That doesn't stop at the school walls.

I actually think D98 is in a better position to go before the public and ask for a tax rate increase than D100.

Both districts have had to deal to flat property tax revenue and declining revenue from the state.  Yet D98 seems to have been able to handle the situation much better than D100.

The D98 board can go before the public, point to the balanced budgets and paying off the debt, point to flat property taxes and declining state revenue and ask the public for a tax rate increase that would go toward education rather than paying off the debt.

D98 would have much more credibilty that D100 has at this point.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Evil T on July 02, 2013, 01:17:37 PM
Today, I received my property taxes that are now more than $8,100.00 a year. So my home value is declining or flat lining but my taxes are heading into the stratosphere! When I moved to Berwyn in 2000 my taxes were about $3,400.00 a year. As a comparison my brother's property taxes in Chicago were about $3,300.00 in 2000 and are about $4200 today while mine in Berwyn have more than doubled and I have to pay for garbage pick up!

The assessor had submitted my request for an appeal, however, my appeal was denied.
Is there an end in sight as to how high these taxes will go?

Regards,
Evil T
I just talked to a friend of mine today who lives in a very nice area of Chicago in a house that's worth significantly more than mine - her assessor valuation is $304,000 compared to my valuation of $191,000.  Her taxes are just over $5000 while mine are almot $5800 on that lot plus I pay another $800 for the extra lot we own next to the house.  Anyways, the difference is the tax rate.  Chicago has a tax rate of 6.396 while we in South Berwyn have one of 12.337.  Go figure that one out.

Even if your appeal was denied you can still appeal to the Board of Review.  Check the dates to appeal to the Board of Review and file one.  I did last year, went downtown in December, presented my case which consisted of comparable sales in the area and they did reduce it somewhat which is the only reason my taxes went down $200 instead of up at least $300 in my estimation.  A little aggravation and time did save me some money although I feel like I'm constantly beating a dead horse with these appeals.  When we're reassessed they'll just go up again. 

Evil T

Thank you Mrs. Northsider. I will be going before the Board of Review.

Bonster

How much is your homeowner's exemption?  I cannot believe it's $8100 after your exemption!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"