News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

D100 referenda

Started by Ted, January 19, 2014, 07:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

Ted you are correct! if they did not have the relief many would not be in their homes today.Taxes are just a part of their living expenses one they feel if they vote they  may be able to exercise some control. I always supported education this time I will think hard how I will vote.

buzz

Quote from: Good Time Charlie on January 22, 2014, 10:50:12 AM
Can they afford the decreased property values that come with crappy schools?
Any turn around, if it happened, could take 10 yrs. and we're not thinking long term.
Besides, money for a new building is no guarantee of improved test results.   
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I think the only way it has a chance in passing is if they really get District 100 parents out to vote for it.  I know that in all the times I've been out to vote I see a lot of the same demographic and they don't look like they have any kids in school.  The district is smart to put it on the ballot in the spring.  If it was on the fall ballot it would really have no chance given the fact that is when people get their second installment tax bill with the increase.

berwyn senator

I cannot believe money is the answer!Our tax dollars are just pissed away,this is just my opinion and I am sure many others feel the same way.I also don't believe teaching and results can be measured by dollars.Some schools spend plenty on education but the money did  not obtain the results the results were there first.If our schools were a business they would have been long gone!!! Berwyn"s success is based on a good school system.Get the dead wood and politics out,do I need to say more? Repeating the same over and over again  expecting different results! Insanity! 

Shelley

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 23, 2014, 10:48:46 AM
I cannot believe money is the answer!

If money is not the answer, what should we use to pay for the much needed new boilers and roofs?  OK!  I'll put you down on the list of volunteer work crews for all of the roofing projects.  I assume you have pulled some favors from your connections at Home Depot to supply the materials and the new HVAC systems. 

Ted

Quote from: Shelley on January 24, 2014, 08:54:30 AM
If money is not the answer, what should we use to pay for the much needed new boilers and roofs?  OK!  I'll put you down on the list of volunteer work crews for all of the roofing projects.  I assume you have pulled some favors from your connections at Home Depot to supply the materials and the new HVAC systems.

Shelley,

The increase in the two referenda combined is pretty steep (a 70% increase in what people pay into District 100).  The average single family home will see their taxes increase by between $800 to $1300. 

That's a lot of money.

What is the tax payer and Berwyn resident getting for that $1000 increase?

That's what I think needs to be explained to people, especially people like the Senator and others who do not have children currently going through the school systems.

What are we getting for that extra $1000 per year?

Thanks
Ted

mustang54

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 23, 2014, 10:48:46 AM
I cannot believe money is the answer!

With all due respect Shelley they are asking for a hell of a lot of money. I believe one of the referendums is for repairs and building expansion. But what is the other money going towards? How will it improve education? Just throwing money at schools doesn't do anything except give more money to the adults. How will more money help those who should count the most, the kids. When people see how much their taxes will increase I don't care if they have kids in school or not most people will vote no. Way too big an increase at one time for these times. It has no chance of passing. Also remember bricks,mortar,boilers, and money don't make schools successful,people do. Without a good administration and good teachers you are throwing tax dollars down the toilet.

berwyn senator

Both of you are right on the money!

Ted

Shelley, another question that I have never understood.

People keep talking about the boilers at Hiawatha needing to be fixed (which I get).

How much money would it take to fix or buy new boilers for Hiawatha?   Certainly not $50 million dollars.

One problem I have had with the referenda is the amount of money being asked for has increased dramatically over just the last 12 months.

At the school board meeting in January of 2013, the board was talking about $20 million dollars for Hiawatha and a 30 cent increase in the tax rate.

Over the last 12 months, the amount for the building bond has increased from $20 million to $50 million and the amount of the tax rate increase has gone from 30 cents to $1.40.

Why the dramatic increase in just 12 months?  What made the price jump from $20 million to $50 million?

Why is $1.40 tax rate increase needed versus the 30 cent increase that was talked about just 12 months ago?

Shelley

Quote from: Ted on January 24, 2014, 10:53:31 AM

Shelley, another question that I have never understood.

People keep talking about the boilers at Hiawatha needing to be fixed (which I get).

How much money would it take to fix or buy new boilers for Hiawatha?   Certainly not $50 million dollars.

Here is the break down of the $50 million dollar building bond referendum:

http://www.bsd100.org/site_res_view_template.aspx?id=091e3e02-4ada-4d52-a170-7640c7286947

The extra classrooms in some of those buildings are badly needed to relieve overcrowding and stop the need for forced transfers.  (A handful of kids from each school just simply do not fit in the building and the "forced transfer" has them go to another neighborhood school that has room.  I believe that 5 of 6 elementary schools are operating above capacity...more kids than they have room for).  The boilers in several buildings need replacing.  I know that Emerson is working with 2 out of the 3 boilers in working condition.  The maintenance folks borrow parts from the non-working boilder because the parts are hard to find.  It is ineffecient and rooms are sometimes freezing and the blowers are blowing out cold air.  Our "lunch room" doubles as the gym so that our kids are rushed to finish eating, sometimes in less than 10 minutes,  and get out so that gym classes can start.  The electrical systems in the buildings are not able to handle the 21st century needs...never mind window unit airconditioners running on 90 degree days in August and September.  From what I understand, Emerson is one of the less needy buildings, but I can tell you that if the improvements listed are done, the environment will be much more conducive to learning.  Also, if the referendum doesn't pass, we are going to need to make most of the improvements sooner or later...boilers and roofs just don't last forever.   Those will get paid for by taking on a bigger defecit, I guess, and the "extras" of a proper lunchroom and adequate classroom space and electrical updates will have to be tabled and our kids will continue to have little time to eat often going hungry in the afternoons, hold classroom in stairwells and hallways, endure "forced transfers" and unreliable electricity effecting air conditioners, lights and computers.  That is my best guess, anyway. 

Ted

Quote from: Shelley on January 24, 2014, 11:23:21 AM
Here is the break down of the $50 million dollar building bond referendum:

http://www.bsd100.org/site_res_view_template.aspx?id=091e3e02-4ada-4d52-a170-7640c7286947

Thanks for the link.  I see the last update date on the page is today (1/24/2014). 

So, it looks like Hiawatha is NOT going to be re-built from the ground up.  It looks like the $50 million dollars is going to be spread out over the 6 elementary schools in the district.

justme

About the overcrowded classrooms:

Do you think if the city came down on the overcrowding , it would help the schools? I have seen it myself: kids all of a sudden "living" in a home for the school year and then during the summer they live in Chicago. Or the fact that there are 5 families living illegally in one home , not paying taxes yet sending the kids to our schools-which WE pay for?

What do they require for proof of residency ? Maybe they need to start cracking down on this. Maybe their system should send an alert if more than 2 kids are registered to the same address. This way the city can check if these are apartment buildings, condos,  large families or illegal living conditions and take proper action.

Lastly, with the overcrowding doesn't that mean the schools are going against fire codes because they are over capacity?

From what I have heard, the schools have outdated books and in some cases not enough books. Is this ever addressed ? They keep talking about building and repairs but what about the important things like good educational materials? How can the kids learn if not given the proper tools?

berwyn senator

Why post such a dumb article directed at my self? Every time a tax increase is being requested its a roof,boiler,etc.How about the truth? 50million is needed wow!! how much is being directed to other bowls hit? or are we replacing with Gold? Poor kids going hungry if the lunchroom isn't fixed how about brown bags? why must  the tax payer pay? Where do Berwyn schools rate? last time I looked the high school was at the bottom,and we need more money. If I were to supervise the repairs of boilers and roofs,the work would be properly completed with journeymen workers not scabs.The cost would be competitive the materials wouldn't be from Home Depot cheap crap,they would come from a commercial manufacturer.The other thing, how come there is no cost cutting? Are schools immune? Cut salaries,cut all the dead wood collecting a pay check. Cut all political connections grow some balls
When is a children's education going to come first? OVERCROWDING they don't care because the school gets paid per student!!! more money to waste.

berwyn senator

Books most are not returned,lost or stolen,never paid for.How about all the fees the little children are to pay? Lots and lots of money lost,I don't think there is anything done to collect the money.

Rob A.

Here is the link to the facility evaluation.  I haven't had time to read it completely but it looks pretty thorough.  Whatever your thoughts are regarding education in Dist. 100 the schools are an asset/liability of the residents.  If they are neglected then they become a growing liability.  Governments have chosen to neglect facility (i.e. CHA) in the past and it typically doesn't end well.  I'm not making an argument for or nay but I would be concerned about allowing the schools to deteriorate to a point where the use is significantly compromised. 

http://www.bsd100.org/www/ud00/d/d4d1709b8073469b9d1ae1cb36b1f94e/Personal_Documents/South%20Berwyn%20100_103013_Final.pdf

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 24, 2014, 04:29:38 PM
Books most are not returned,lost or stolen,never paid for.How about all the fees the little children are to pay? Lots and lots of money lost,I don't think there is anything done to collect the money.
I don't think they are using very many textbooks in the district anymore - most of the kids have some kind of Apple software for use at school and at home.  My 7th grade daughter has a Macbook and that's what she uses in her classes and to do her homework.  I can't remember the last time I saw a textbook.  I too think the district is looking for an awful lot of money that they will be hard pressed to get given the tax increase people will see.  I would honestly be more inclined to vote for the building referendum.  The kids need to have schools that are in safe working order and the overcrowding issue needs to be addressed.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Rob A. on January 24, 2014, 04:57:40 PM
Here is the link to the facility evaluation.  I haven't had time to read it completely but it looks pretty thorough.  Whatever your thoughts are regarding education in Dist. 100 the schools are an asset/liability of the residents.  If they are neglected then they become a growing liability.  Governments have chosen to neglect facility (i.e. CHA) in the past and it typically doesn't end well.  I'm not making an argument for or nay but I would be concerned about allowing the schools to deteriorate to a point where the use is significantly compromised. 

http://www.bsd100.org/www/ud00/d/d4d1709b8073469b9d1ae1cb36b1f94e/Personal_Documents/South%20Berwyn%20100_103013_Final.pdf
I went through it briefly but when it came to Heritage Middle School I looked a little more thoroughly since that school is pretty new.  The evaluation recommended improvements in food service and they recommended that the school should have stainless steel counters, an additional 4 well portable steam table, convection oven, upgrades to the existing steam table to replace wood siding with stainless steel, replacing the existing tiled floor with seamless poured floor and the purchase of additional milk barrels.  The cost for those improvements $1,500,000.00.  Yes, 1.5 million.  I think that is exorbitant.  I am willing to pay for new boilers, new roofs and the such.  I've had to replace those on my home.  But I still have the kitchen that had a major renovation in 1991 with some minor stuff since then.  Where are they getting estimates from for the new items and I don't see the need to replace the floor.  These are the things that will turn people away from any type of yes vote in the referendum.

berwyn senator

I had understood they started with Mac's instead of books excellent.Are all the fees being paid? infrastructure,lets cut the big salaries and benefits starting at the top, remove all extra supervisors,all patronage possessions then go to out of district students that are not paying.Remove all other waste,when done go over again.No matter how crying no cuts no money period.Screw these terror tactics of telling people their home values will be reduced if not passed,the schools are at the bottom can't go much lower the same with housing,only way to is up.

Shelley

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on January 24, 2014, 06:34:04 PM
Quote from: Rob A. on January 24, 2014, 04:57:40 PM

I went through it briefly but when it came to Heritage Middle School I looked a little more thoroughly since that school is pretty new.  The evaluation recommended improvements in food service and they recommended that the school should have stainless steel counters, an additional 4 well portable steam table, convection oven, upgrades to the existing steam table to replace wood siding with stainless steel, replacing the existing tiled floor with seamless poured floor and the purchase of additional milk barrels.  The cost for those improvements $1,500,000.00.  Yes, 1.5 million.  I think that is exorbitant.  I am willing to pay for new boilers, new roofs and the such.  I've had to replace those on my home.  But I still have the kitchen that had a major renovation in 1991 with some minor stuff since then.  Where are they getting estimates from for the new items and I don't see the need to replace the floor.  These are the things that will turn people away from any type of yes vote in the referendum.

Improvements at Heritage are not part of the referendum.  I think our Board of Education agreed with you and voted on a more conservative plan that basically only included the most essential building improvements.  Heritage and Freedom, being newer buildings, are not included in the building bond referendum.  See the link I posted above at the bsd100 website for the breakdown of what is planned for the referendum funding if passed. 

Ted

Shelley,  is there a price tag for each of the items?  How much is the cost of adding on a classroom to a building?  How much is the cost to fix or replace heating or air conditioning or electrical stuff?

One thing that puzzled me was that there are more classrooms being added on to Irving and Pershing and Komensky than to Hiawatha?

I was expecting Hiawatha to have added to it 6 classrooms - one per grade level. Yet, it is Pershing which is getting 6 additional classrooms, not Hiawatha.  That surprised me.

Also, is it expected that these new classrooms will be used for pre-school classes for 3 year olds and 4 year olds?  Is that why they are adding on 3 to 6 classrooms to each building - to accomodate public pre-school for 3 and 4 year olds?