News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

D100 referenda summary

Started by Ted, March 02, 2014, 07:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

D100 REFERENDA SUMMARY

Since early voting starts tomorrow, I thought I would post a summary information sheet about the referenda.

On March 18, 2014, voters in south Berwyn School District 100 will go to the polls to vote on two referenda that are on the ballot. One referenda will increase the base tax rate (the limited, non-debt rate)  by $1.40, increasing the rate of $2.90  to $4.30.

The second referendum asks the voters to approve a capital bond in the amount of $51.5 million dollars for building improvements on the 6 elementary school buildings. This second referendum will increase the debt tax rate by $0.93 (93 cents) from $0.74 (74 cents) to $1.67.

Voters can either vote YES on both referenda OR they can vote NO on both referenda OR they can vote YES on one referendum and NO on the other referendum.

The two referenda together will increase the total rate in District 100 from $3.64 to $5.97.  Here is how the tax rate would compare to surrounding districts.

D100 - $5.97 (if referenda passes)
Lyons - $4.86
Riverside - $4.60.
Cicero - $4.30
Oak Park - $4.02
D100 - $3.64 (current)
LaGrange - $3.62
D98 - $3.34

Here is how District 100 would compare to other cities in the property taxes paid into the elementary school district for a median valued home:

Riverside - $3513
Oak Park - $3252
D100 - $2345 (if referenda passes)
Brookfield - $1967
Lyons - $1816
D100 - $1432 (current)
D98 - $1314
Cicero - $1086

For tax payers, this will increase their total property tax bill by approximately 20% and the property taxes they pay into District 100 by 64%.
40% of that increase would go toward paying off the $51.5 million dollar building bond and 60% would go toward the increased property tax revenue resulting from the tax rate referendum.

For example,a tax payer who is paying $5,000 in property taxes would see a $1,000 increase in their taxes - $400 due to the building bond referendum and $600 due to the tax rate referendum. Here is a chart of what a person's tax increase would be if both referenda pass.  The first column represents what a tax payer is currently paying in property taxes in the most recent tax year (both first and second installments):

$3,000 - $600 increase ($240 for buildings; $360 for education)
$3,500 - $700 increase ($280 for buildings; $420 for education)
$4,000 - $800 increase ($320 for buildings; $480 for education)
$4,500 - $900 increase ($360 for buildings; $540 for education)
$5,000 - $1000 increase ($400 for buildings; $600 for education)
$5,500 - $1100 increase ($440 for buildings; $660 for education)
$6,000 - $1200 increase ($480 for buildings; $720 for education)
$6,500 - $1300 increase ($520 for buildings; $780 for education)
$7,000 - $1400 increase ($560 for buildings; $840 for education)
$7,500 - $1500 increase ($600 for buildings; $900 for education)
$8,000 - $1600 increase ($640 for buildings; $960 for education)

The tax rate referendum will bring in an additional $6.2 million dollars per year in revenue in the first year and will increase each year by either the cost of living index  or 5%, which ever is lower.  Proponents of the tax rate increase claim that the $6.2 million dollars per year in additional revenue will be used to hire approximately 100 to 120 new teachers. The new teachers will be used to hire pre-kindergarten teachers for 3- and 4- year olds, for two teachers in a classroom and for reading interventionists. Proponents expect the instructional spending per pupil to increase by approximately $1500, to a level of $7,000 per pupil.

Below is a comparison of instructional spending per pupil to surrounding districts (rounded down to the nearest hundred):

Oak Park - $7700
Riverside - $7500
LaGrange - $7300
D100 - $7,000 (if referenda passes)
Lyons - $6500
D100 - $6200 (current)
Brookfield - $6000
D98 - $5800
D100 - $5700 (current without budget deficit)
Cicero - $5200

The District 100 website alleges that the building bond of $51.5 million dollars will be used to add extensions of 3 to 6 rooms to each of the elementary schools as well as be used to fix heating, electricity and plumbing. The building bond, if passed, will increase the total long term debt of District 100 by approximately $80 million dollars (principle and interest) from around $50 million to $130 million.

District 100 has been running a deficit in its budget for the last 3 years and expects the budget deficit to increase next year. The previous two years, the budget deficit has been around $1 million dollars. This year's approved budget has a deficit of $2.8 million and District 100 board member have stated publicly that they expect the budget deficit next year to be around $4.2 million dollars.

District 100 has around only $12 million dollars in its reserve fund. If this year's deficit holds at $2.8 million and next year's budget has a $4.2 million dollar deficit, then District 100 would go on the Illinois State Board of Education's Financial Warning list and the district will be required by law to present a Deficit Reduction Plan to the Illinois State Board of Education.

rabblerabble

Thank you for summarizing this. I hope residents are aware of what they will be voting for.

Ted

Article in the Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/oak_park_river_forest_forest_park/ct-referendum-berwyn-tl-0227-20140306,0,1216053.story

South Berwyn schools seek tax hike for improvements

By Ken Manson

Special to the Tribune

12:52 p.m. CST, March 6, 2014
Voters living south of Cermak Road in Berwyn will decide March 18 whether to increase their taxes to renovate and expand District 100 schools.

Two questions are asking for a $1.40 tax rate increase, up to $4.30 from $2.90, which would raise almost $6.2 million, and to approve selling $51.5 million in bonds for improvements. That would raise taxes another 93 cents.

The two increases would cost $491 annually for the owner of a $100,000 home, $817 for a $150,000 home and $1,145 for a $200,000 building. Figures are for bonds lasting 20 years, the limit under the Illinois school code. If the Illinois General Assembly changes the limits under a bill the Senate is considering, the 93-cent tax rate increase would change to 73 cents if the limit becomes 25 years or 59 cents if it becomes 30 years.

Stan Fields, District 100 superintendent, said the added tax revenue would help the South Berwyn schools deal with 516 more students in the last six years - with no new space added - and less state funding. Bonds will add 19 classrooms; improve electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems; and provide a multipurpose room in each school where students can eat, rather than be in the gymnasium where they are limited to seven minutes for lunch.

Facebook groups such as Building a Better Berwyn are supporting both measures.

But others, such as Anthony Harris, a District 100 board member from 2007 to 2011, and Jim Tobin, founder of Taxpayers United of America, say the increases will overtax home and business owners.

District 100 is a high-minority, high-poverty district of six elementary schools and two middle schools that brings greater needs, not less, according to Fields: "We have necessary resources for two of three students," he said. Some 85 percent of students are minorities and 74 percent come from low-income families.

Per-pupil spending is 20 percent lower than in some of the neighboring schools districts and state funding was cut 7 percent, according to the district. South Berwyn has the 26th lowest school tax rate of 27 Cook County communities with similar demographics and property values, officials said, and a tax increase has not been sought in more than 20 years.

Five of the six elementary schools - all but Emerson - are beyond capacity, with Pershing at 112 percent. Total enrollment last year was 4,107, compared to 3,388 in 2003. The projected enrollment in 10 years is 4,491.

None of the schools has central air conditioning and all get heat from boilers that are old and hard to find parts for, Fields said. The bond money will allow the district to "effectively rebuild the infrastructure - mechanical, electrical and plumbing. The life of these improvements should be 45 to 50 years."

Harris said he was a member of the board's Buildings and Grounds committee, which was informed of required repairs and necessary maintenance, "but nothing on the order of magnitude that is being proposed. Unquestionably repairs must be made, but the cost of $51.5 million at this time is prohibitive."

By adding classrooms that may not be needed in 10 years, the district will be burdened with debt for 20 to 30 years depending on the life of the bond, he said. "The upgrade of six of the buildings is popular with parents; however, it is likely to be more costly compared to consolidation of schools and the construction of new buildings with greater capacity."

"The request for the $51.5 million bond alone is a staggering sum to ask of a small community and will be a burden for at least two decades. The additional request to increase the limiting rate by 1.4 percent will overtax home and small business owners and has no date of expiration," he said..

The owner of a $200,000 home would pay what amounts to an additional mortgage payment every year, he said.

berwyn senator

Just received a flier with interesting info on the district 100 salaries.Do any of these people live in Berwyn?shop in Berwyn? Fields is over$200,000 the smallest is $96,000.Where did they cut? Then there are pensions,makes me sick.Then they call us a low income!!!! assholes all of them.I have been hearing the same shit for tax increases for many years,that's all they are in the game for large salaries and big pensions!!!!!!!  We are low income because we are supporting all this jerks with our taxes!  VOTE NO NO NO NO NO Wake up!!

markberwyn

What would be an appropriate salary range for a district administrator? What's the most a public-school teacher should be allowed to make?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

markberwyn

Also, I don't know who's feeding you this information via this flier, but I took ten seconds to look up district salaries in the ISBE database and I can assure you there are plenty of employees of the district making much less than $96,000 a year.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

bigolo

Well, it looks like the district is asking me to give up another $100 a month of my net income! Considering that I take home approximately .60 cents on the dollar it looks like ill have to work an extra day a month for this increase! Then next year the county is going to need more money so there go`s another days pay! Listen people, we have yet to feel the impact of Rahm`s water bill increase! Thats coming this year too! Remember that increase? When will this end? Calculate how many days  month you have to work to support all of this waste! I say no to both referendums! The district is going to have to make some serious cuts in their budget! We the people are already stretched to far!  Vote NO!!!!

berwyn senator

VOTE NO! years ago Morton was over crowded they split the classes Morning and Afternoon. What goes on with the property on 34Th.between Gunderson and Ogden?By the time you figure all the taxes paid by the working man,I said working I'll bet the figures over 50%.Everything we own or buy has a tax.VOTE NO! They will do something because they don't want to loose their cushy jobs and pensions.

bigolo

I`ll tell you what, we should have a fundraiser to collect enough money to pass out fliers against this insane tax increase! Now that`ll be money well spent! An extra mortgage payment a year! These assholes are unreal!

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on March 06, 2014, 09:00:07 PMBy the time you figure all the taxes paid by the working man,I said working I'll bet the figures over 50%.

Not even close.

mustang54

Voting no for these referendums is not enough. Voters in Illinois must vote out every incumbent in Springfield and Washington REGARDLESS of their party. ALL OF THEM!!

bigolo

Hey Mark, after you consider all of the taxes that are taken out of your check and every single tax you pay on goods and services what % do you come up with? Include every tax! And yes also include tolls (oh yeah, they doubled) and license plates ( oh yeah, they went up too)!

bigolo

Quote from: mustang54 on March 06, 2014, 09:12:14 PM
  Voting no for these referendums is not enough. Voters in Illinois must vote out every incumbent in Springfield and Washington REGARDLESS of their party. ALL OF THEM!!

+100

berwyn senator

I have already received a flier saying to vote no.

bigolo

I didn't get one yet. If they need help passing them out I will volunteer!!!

markberwyn

Quote from: mustang54 on March 06, 2014, 09:12:14 PM

And replace them with whom?

markberwyn

Quote from: bigolo on March 06, 2014, 09:12:33 PM
Hey Mark, after you consider all of the taxes that are taken out of your check and every single tax you pay on goods and services what % do you come up with?

Nowhere near 50 percent. How about you?

bigolo

Just because its not 50% for you doesn't mean that is not 50% for someone else!

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on March 06, 2014, 09:24:58 PM
www.TaxpayersUnited.org   312-427-5128

Ah, those fun libertarian free-marketeers. Here's what another (effective) libertarian, Paul Ryan, had to say about school-lunch programs today:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/paul_ryan_free_lunch_means_parents_dont_care_for_kids

Sounds good to me. Gotta cut costs somewhere, right?