News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Election day

Started by Ted, March 18, 2014, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I voted this morning at around 6:15.  I was the third person to vote.

There are elections signs up for both YES votes on the referenda and NO votes on the referenda.  The NO vote signs were regular, printed signs.  The YES vote signs were hand made and hard to read in the dark.

Good luck to both sides.  I hope the result is what is best for Berwyn.

mustang54

Saw hand made signs yesterday. They look like they were made by children saying help fix our schools. Another perfect example of the adults in education USING the kids to get more money for themselves. Sorry but to me a lot of people in the education business will stop at nothing for what they want and they THINK is right. It's all about the adults.

moose

Ted,

I wasn't that far behind you, I think I was 7.

They asked what ballot I wanted, then gave me the opposite one, was able to change it before voting.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

Terri

Quote from: moose on March 18, 2014, 09:53:44 AM
Ted,

I wasn't that far behind you, I think I was 7.

They asked what ballot I wanted, then gave me the opposite one, was able to change it before voting.

The same happened to me, wrong ballot but I too was able to correct it the error.  I chalked it up to a spacing election judge.   :(

buzz

I voted at 12:30.  I was #133 in 2nd Ward 4th Precinct.  There were 5 or 6 people came in behind me.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I voted around 11:30.  I was #51 in 1st Ward 1st Precinct. 

Ted

Quote from: buzz on March 18, 2014, 01:30:13 PM
I voted at 12:30.  I was #133 in 2nd Ward 4th Precinct.  There were 5 or 6 people came in behind me.

Wow.  That's a pretty big turnout.  But, then, the First Congregational Church (which has now been consolidated into a single precinct - Ward 2 Precinct 4)  on 34th and Gunderson is the precinct with the largest number of registered voters in Berwyn. It encompasses a 20 square block area.

One other comment - today was the first time in my 40 years of voting that I was asked to show an identification.  In all other previous times, I just walked in, signed my name and voted.

Fer

I also vote at the church at 34th & Gunderson.  When I was there tonight around 6 p.m., there were about 3 people ahead of me, and about the same behind me. 

And, I was not asked for any ID.   

"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

buzz

do you remember your number

Fer

Sorry, I don't.   But they ARE supposed to ask everyone for ID, correct? 
"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

buzz

i'm not sure.  I was not asked.

psychomom

I've lived and voted here for 20 years and never been asked.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

buzz

It's a bummer that we can't get any election returns until tomorrow.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: buzz on March 18, 2014, 10:06:46 PM
It's a bummer that we can't get any election returns until tomorrow.
The results were posted on the Cook County Clerk's website when I just checked.  Looks like the No's have it.  Here are the results thus far with 20 of 22 precincts reporting:

District 100 Issue Bonds:  Yes - 965    28.56%
                                        No  - 2389  71.44%

District 100 Increase Limiting Rate:  Yes - 693      20.67%
                                                        No  - 2659    79.33%

buzz

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: buzz on March 18, 2014, 11:08:54 PM
Thank you !
You're welcome.  Based on the numbers posted by the Cook County Clerk's office I thought voter turnout was very low here in South Berwyn with 20.12% of registered voters actually voting.  It turns out it was most likely higher than the 16% posted across Cook County.  I do think the school district referendums vote was what brought people out to vote here in South Berwyn based on the fact that the same exact number of people voted here on both parts of the referendum.  I also have to give kudos to an older gentleman who was waiting outside my precinct with a fact sheet about voting "no" on the referendum.  He was there when I voted with my kids at 11:30, there when I came back from a shopping trip at 2:00pm and there when I passed by around 4:00pm when I was leaving for work.  He had to be in his mid 60's to mid 70's.  I am 55 and I don't think I could have done that.  There was no one out there to counteract for the "yes" vote.

Ted

Quote from: Fer on March 18, 2014, 09:56:00 PM
I also vote at the church at 34th & Gunderson.  When I was there tonight around 6 p.m., there were about 3 people ahead of me, and about the same behind me. 

And, I was not asked for any ID.

That's interesting. I also vote at 34th & Gunderson and I was asked for an ID. 

Ted

Here are the final results with all precincts reporting:

School District 100, Issue Bonds
Registered Voters: 17,021
Ballots Cast: 3,685
22 of 22 Precincts Reported
Turnout: 21.65%
Votes
YES  29.07%  1,047 Votes
NO   70.93%   2,555 Votes

School District 100, Increase Limiting Rate
Registered Voters: 17,021
Ballots Cast: 3,685
22 of 22 Precincts Reported
Turnout: 21.65%
Votes
YES 21.15%     763 Votes
NO  78.85%  2,845  Votes

Ted

Three other referenda of note yesterday - Cicero voted YES on an advisory referendum for building school buildings;

Evanston voted YES on abolishing Evanston Township as a government entity.

McCook has a tie vote (56 Yes and 56 No) on whether to join the PleasantView fire district.

fatladysings

Yay!!!!! All of their walking door to door did not work after all, people know what's up in Berwyn!