News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Cicero President Accused In Sex Harassment Suit

Started by Robert Pauly, June 08, 2009, 09:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony la

Quote from: bonster on June 09, 2009, 11:55:14 AM
mustang, I'm not talking about Larry.  He's fine with me, but no one should be surprised.  In that previous thread, even you didn't really defend the guy other than saying something to the effect that others have done worse.

But Tony is the LAST one that should be stepping up.  He's got a history here.

Quote from: tony la on April 01, 2009, 01:39:58 PM
It really bothers me that our present administration is not on good terms with some of the other representatives in the area.

Like it or not, Cicero ...

but, he said that was BADDD...
Quote from: tony la on January 16, 2009, 11:24:50 AM
The last administration was definitely not in it for the money they made as officials.  It was for all the money and power they could get outside the city that was pertaining to the city.  Let's not be shortsighted here. 

Yeah, let's not be shortsighted here.

Quote from: tony la on May 13, 2009, 11:23:49 AM
I will tell you exactly where I stand.  I am not a politician.  I absolutely hate politics.  ...
And I hate the thieves that were here.  If I thought for one minute that they were still here, I would say something. 

I have had many conversations with our new mayor.  Way before he was elected.  I have known him for 15 years. 

Well, gee...you throw fact in his face, he doesn't respond. 
So much for loving Berwyn and hating politics. 

Bon,  where you going with this.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

tony la

Bon, 

I guess I should have said I hate the game.  You have to talk to the people.  What is wrong with that. 

And when did I rain on your parade?
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Terri

Quote from: tony la on June 09, 2009, 09:16:31 AM
Is it not kind of strange that a few have a relationship with El Dia.  Would this be the first time that someone tried to slam someone for political gain, and possibly monetary gain.  If it is in fact true,  then he will have to pay for what he did, and we all will suffer for it.  If it is not true and is politically motivated by El Dia and their cohorts then apologies should have to be made.

Brian, I really would love to have you meet Larry.  If you could look past prejudged opinions I think you would be surprised what you would see.

We have recently seen how dirty politics can be.     
Are you saying the accusers have relationships with people at the El Dia newspaper?  I suppose I'm a bit confused since the story posted was written by a Tribune writer. 

While watching the Fox story it occurred to me I've never heard Dominick speak in public. Neither good nor bad, just an observation.     

tony la

The one on Fox this morning was the Publishers daughter.  They showed four women.  They did not name all of them.  Let us see what happens. 
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Snoopy

Larry Dominick is a very good speaker.  I have had the opportunity to see in speak in public many times.  He has always come across as a very dynamic and caring person.  The following is in the Cicero News.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, June 09, 2009

847-239-4477
elio@thetownofcicero.com

Town Responds to Anne Kavanagh, Fox News Chicago's "Duke Lacrosse" Journalism

Cicero, Illinois... In response to the Fox News Chicago "story" on the Town of Cicero, Cicero Town Spokesman Elio Montenegro released this statement today,
In hysterical hit piece on Larry Dominick and the Town of Cicero, replete with exaggerations, inaccuracies and downright falsehoods, Fox News Chicago and Anne Kavanagh slung a myriad of salacious allegations at Cicero President Larry Dominick.

Just as with the infamous Duke Lacrosse case, Ms. Kavanagh and Fox News Chicago assumed the role of judge, jury and executioner, moving to ruin a man's reputation solely on the basis of sensationalized allegations without ever stopping to critically examine the veracity of the allegations or the credibility of the accusers. As long as the allegations are juicy enough, the motivations of the accusers or the lack of evidence serve as no impediments to Ms. Kavanagh.

Kavanagh excused her lack of due diligence by repeatedly stating that Larry Dominick would not come on camera to discuss the matter even though Ms. Kavanagh was repeatedly told that, as a policy, Dominick does not discuss pending ! litigati on involving the Town of Cicero with the media, regardless of the topic.

Three of the accusers referenced in the Fox News Chicago report have filed frivolous and politically motivated suits against the Town after they proved unable to defeat Larry Dominick at the ballot box.

Ana Maria Montes de Oca
Ana Maria Montes de Oca, who was interviewed in Ms. Kavanagh's piece, served as the spokesman for Larry Dominick's opponent, Robert Garcia, in the last election.

Further, as everyone in Cicero knows but Ms. Kavanagh failed to learn, Ms. Montes de Oca's family owns the El Dia newspaper in Cicero; a shoddy, incoherent rag that has routinely lied about and viciously attacked Larry Dominick and everyone associated with him continually and without interruption for the past four years. In fact, Ms. Kavanagh's brand of "journalism" would fit in quite well with El Dia. Perhaps if things at Fox don't work out for her...

Janidet Lujano
In the Fox News Chicago report, Ms. Kavanagh incorrectly identifies Ms. Lujano as a Cicero police officer. Ms. Lujano served only as an auxiliary officer. Ms. Lujano sought to have Dominick bend the rules and make her a full-time police officer without her having to go through the requisite testing process. It was only when Dominick refused to do so that Lujano concocted her tale of harassment.

Incidentally, if Ms. Kavanagh had been interested in gathering any facts, she might have spoken with Rhonda Gross, an actual Cicero police officer who was harassed by Ms. Lujano's boyfriend at the time, Jerry Rodish, a former Cicero police officer terminated by the Dominick administration.

In a sworn deposition--one of the videos Ms. Kavanagh chose not to air--Officer Gross, who was Lujano's training officer, said that she knows what sexual harassment is because she suffered it at the hands of Ms. Lujano's boyfriend and that Ms. Lujano was not sexually harassed during her employ with the Town of Cicero.
!
Iro nically, Ms. Lujano had called Officer Gross as a witness for the plaintiff but Officer Gross' testimony under oath was completely at odds with Ms. Lujano's allegations.

Athina Solomos
Athina Solomos' allegations of sexual harassment are directed at former town employee Jose Del Angel, not Larry Dominick. Dominick is named in the suit only as the result of his position as Town President but is not accused of sexual harassment. In handling this allegation of sexual harassment when it was first brought forward more than a year ago, the Town followed its policies and procedures by the book. Mr. Del Angel was disciplined, suspended and sent to sensitivity training.

Of course, none of these inconvenient facts were included in Ms. Kavanagh's witch hunt.

Sharon Starzyk
For the past five years, Sharon Starzyk regularly praised Larry Dominick for his opening of and constant support of the Town's Waggin' Tails Animal Shelter, a shelter that Dominick created and appointed Starzyk to head up. The idea that Sharon Starzyk was ever in fear for her job is preposterous.

She was routinely praised by Larry at Town Board meetings, at events at the shelter and other public events. Ms. Starzyk was an enthusiastic employee and an enthusiastic supporter for Larry Dominick for five years. Now she remembers she was sexually harassed three years ago?

If Ms. Kavanagh had bothered to speak with volunteers on Dominick's campaign or other town employees that knew Ms. Starzyk, she could have obtained this background. But, again, Ms. Kavanagh is not interested in such background or context or facts.

Here's some more facts: Ms. Starzyk's own words. In her column in the Town's monthly publication, the Cicero Town News, Starzyk consistently heaped praise on Dominick:

"I would also like to thank President Dominick and the Town Board for allowing for the purchase of a new Animal Welfare Van. We are much in need of one and if ! it wasn' t for them working hard to make it possible, we wouldn't have been able to obtain one."
(Cicero Town News, October 2007)

"President Dominick is moving forward building the 'New Cicero', which as director of the shelter I am proud to be a part of.

"One family told us that they have lived in Cicero for over 50 years and there has NEVER been a Cicero President that gave one thought of having a Cicero Animal Shelter until President Dominick came along.

"President Dominick gave Cicero residents his word two years ago that they will have an Animal Shelter in Cicero-and he delivered on his word. There were some hold-ups but the "New Cicero" now has the Cicero Waggin' Tails Shelter in addition to the town's Animal Welfare Department.

"As a pet owner, President Dominick understands how important pets are to their owners. He also understands that microchips are costly and that many pet owners cannot afford to have one inserted in their pet. That is why President Dominick had the shelter offer Cicero residents the chance to have their pet microchiped at no charge-so that pet owners can be assured the ability to locate their pet if it were ever to be lost."
(Cicero Town News, January 2008)

"Recently, President Dominick presented a new animal welfare van to the shelter to that we could better respond to all of the calls we receive. The van has custom manufactured cages, among other amenities that will better help our animal control officers do their jobs in a safe and humane way.

"Cicero residents should be proud that of our shelter and animal welfare department. We have one of the most active, professionally-staffed, and well-equipped in the State of Illinois, thanks to President Dominick's commitment to protect animals and the volunteer efforts of so many caring Cicero residents."
(Cicero Town News, April 2008)

"I decided the theme of our celebration should be 'A Wonderful World' because, thanks to Cicero To! wn Presi dent Larry Dominick, our animals have get a second chance in life giving them the "wonderful world" of a loving home they deserve.

"When President Dominick took office almost four years ago he said to me, "Sharon, one of my first goals as President is to make our dream of a 'no-kill' animal shelter a reality."

"I remember we were at an event and out of the blue Larry turned to me and said, "Cicero's Waggin' Tails." I looked at him confused and he said, "That's the name for your shelter!"
(Cicero Town News, December 2008)

A PDF document containing all of Ms. Starzyk's columns can be downloaded by clicking here.
In all of these cases, no one was fired, no one was demoted, and no one was punished. No one was ever honestly in fear for their job, health insurance or benefits.

What these individuals could not achieve at the ballot box, they now want to achieve with frivolous, politically-motivated lawsuits. They want to play slot-machine justice in Cicero: make outrageous allegations, impugn people's reputations, and perhaps the town will offer a handsome settlement to make us go away.

Well, guess what, that's not going to happen. The days of slot-machine justice in Cicero ended with Larry Dominick's election. These frivolous, politically-motivated lawsuits will be fought and will be won.

Ms. Kavanagh and Fox News Chicago may not understand this but allegations, no matter how tawdry, do not substitute for evidence. Fortunately for Cicero taxpayers, the town's attorneys do a much better job of due diligence and actual evidence gathering than does Ms. Kavanagh.

We will make sure to inform Ms. Kavanagh when these cases are found in the town's favor so they can do a follow-up story to rehabilitate the reputation of Larry Do! minick t hat they have so carelessly damaged. But we won't hold our breath that Ms. Kavanagh and Fox News Chicago will be as interested in the actual outcomes as they were in the salacious allegations.

It's just too bad that reporters cannot lose their licenses to practice when they are purposely reckless the way attorneys like Mike Nifong in the Duke Lacrosse case did.

OakParkSpartan

That well written, factual response sure put me at ease.  Cicero is in good hands.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Cathy

Brian, I know you don't like Larry, but I just have to say, I wish you could meet the man that I know.  In the course of my job I have met with Larry quite a few times.  I have never met a more caring man.  His kindness has always astonished me.  I have seen this man with many children who have disabilities and some extremely severe, he is tender and very caring.  I have known this man to walk up to a gentleman with Down syndrome in a restaurant, strike up a conversation and then reach in his pocket and give this stranger two tickets to a ball game.  He has treated all three of my children with nothing but respect and generosity.  At an Autism Support Group he has walked in a passed out passes for the children to go to the fair and ride all day for free.  He has made a huge difference in Cicero for families raising children with disabilities.  He declares the month of March Disability Awareness Month which includes weekly events for the families of children with disabilities. He has programs at the libraries for children w/disabilities including Lekotek toys available for them. He has brought the Special Olympics back to Cicero, including forming teams.  He has transportation available for these families.  The list can go on and on.   I have often wished that Berwyn can offer just half of what Cicero has for their families.  

I just find this whole story hard to believe.  The man that I know, would not have done that. 

I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 09, 2009, 04:52:11 PM
That well written, factual response sure put me at ease.  Cicero is in good hands.
I'm equally at ease.  Snoopy, how do you spell the word "spin"?  I'm happy to wait for a jury of his (Dominick's) peers to say not guilty but until then I will reserve my judgment on the outcome until it's settled.  Until then, let's just say Im cautiously pessimistic.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Cathy on June 09, 2009, 04:56:54 PM
Brian, I know you don't like Larry, but I just have to say, I wish you could meet the man that I know.  In the course of my job I have met with Larry quite a few times.  I have never met a more caring man.  His kindness has always astonished me.  I have seen this man with many children who have disabilities and some extremely severe, he is tender and very caring.  I have known this man to walk up to a gentleman with Down syndrome in a restaurant, strike up a conversation and then reach in his pocket and give this stranger two tickets to a ball game.  He has treated all three of my children with nothing but respect and generosity.  At an Autism Support Group he has walked in a passed out passes for the children to go to the fair and ride all day for free.  He has made a huge difference in Cicero for families raising children with disabilities.  He declares the month of March Disability Awareness Month which includes weekly events for the families of children with disabilities. He has programs at the libraries for children w/disabilities including Lekotek toys available for them. He has brought the Special Olympics back to Cicero, including forming teams.  He has transportation available for these families.  The list can go on and on.   I have often wished that Berwyn can offer just half of what Cicero has for their families.  

I just find this whole story hard to believe.  The man that I know, would not have done that. 

I don't know the guy and really don't care if I met him or not.  I don't know the elected in other nearby communities, and I have no desire to go out of my way to know them either.  I'm sure he does some good things.  It also appears he does some not so good things, based upon newspaper articles.

What I don't like is that Berwyn is continually associated with a community that has more than its share of bad press.  I posted the a list of articles from the Trib and Sun Times that made my point.  I'll welcome the day when that type of behavior (and the articles) stop. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ana

When I was living in Cicero, I didn't care what Betty did as long as my neighborhood was crime free, clean and I received what I needed when I needed it.  She had my vote, she did her job.  If I lived in Cicero and my neighborhood was clean and crime free and my needs where met when asked and problems solved when reported, then I wouldn't care what Larry did or didn't do, but I don't live in Cicero any longer, I live in Berwyn and I don't want my Mayor involved in Cicero politics, I don't want Cicero's Mayor at my Mayor's inauguration, I want nothing to do with Cicero unless Cicero is a cut above Berwyn, and it's not.

Once again, tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

n01_important

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on June 09, 2009, 10:35:09 PM
Birdie - thank you so much for giving us some insight into the tawdry goings on in Cicero.  Whatever the case, the visuals will probably give me nightmares for quite some time.  I never imagined Mayor Dominick as quite the hottie - OMG!!

I once heard that power/money has the same effect on women's view of a man like a man sees a woman after 12 drinks.   :P
Stupid fuck

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: n01_important on June 09, 2009, 10:43:31 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on June 09, 2009, 10:35:09 PM
Birdie - thank you so much for giving us some insight into the tawdry goings on in Cicero.  Whatever the case, the visuals will probably give me nightmares for quite some time.  I never imagined Mayor Dominick as quite the hottie - OMG!!

I once heard that power/money has the same effect on women's view of a man like a man sees a woman after 12 drinks.   :P
And Im absolutely, positively sure you heard that from a man.  Most likely one with an over-inflated image of himself - even before 12 drinks.

Crunchie

The credibility of the information in this thread makes some of our Bobby/OC threads seem realistic now.

OakParkSpartan

No more of that crap birdie, or I will release a kitty cat to find you.

Birdie

Sorry, just asking questions.   Can't hurt to ask.  Also, a Kitty Kat would have problems.  I'm an Eagle.

Ana

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Ana on June 09, 2009, 11:29:11 PM
Darn it!  Did I miss something again?   ???
Yes, Ana you did.  An obnoxious person (Birdie) made several crude and rude remarks about women (and Cicero) that no longer show up online. 

Guess what Brian - we can handle it. 

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on June 09, 2009, 11:43:47 PM
Quote from: Ana on June 09, 2009, 11:29:11 PM
Darn it!  Did I miss something again?   ???
Yes, Ana you did.  An obnoxious person (Birdie) made several crude and rude remarks about women (and Cicero) that no longer show up online. 

Guess what Brian - we can handle it. 

I'm sure you can.

But I don't want random people coming on here writing nasty crap (and that was pretty mild compared to what was out here yesterday).  It served no purpose other than to attack two people we don't even know (or care about).

Bonster

But, you shouldn't be deleting anti-DCoB or anti-Cicero stuff!
This is an IVB board... (at least, according to some jackoffs)
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"