News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Rules We lived By

Started by berwyn senator, December 02, 2013, 10:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

Never did we step on any ones grass as we walked down the street,we were quite and did not yell or holler,paper or ice dream sticks were held until there was a garbage can found,never were they dropped on the ground and left.If the neighbors allowed us to play ball in the alley behind their garage we tried not to hit their garage doors.If the ball went into a yard we kept off the grass as much as possible,stayed away from the vegetable garden and closed the gate when we exited the yard.When we road our bikes around the block we stayed off the grass,even when going around corners.Certain houses we had to be real quite when we road by or the wrath of the old  women would rain upon us.There was no cutting through yards when playing tag,witch,or kick the can. Lunch time all kids went home returning about an hour later to a friends house or yard,mom always knew where we were and if it was ok with our friends mom. If one of the kids on the block was caught doing something wrong he was punished and the other kids could not play with him.As we walked in the neighborhood we always said hello to the neighbors that were out,Hello Mr. or Mrs.There was no foul language period! No matter what type of a project we were working on or at what house we always put everything away and cleaned up!!Every neighbor new each other in the neighborhood and all the children!!!!

dukesdad

Sounds like fucking paradise! I just wish I hadn't sold my "way back" machine.

markberwyn

And nobody could spell or punctuate for shit, apparently. Guess all that concentration on values got in the way.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Guy_on_Clinton

I wish they still made vhs tapes... 
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

~LL~

Quote from: dukesdad on December 02, 2013, 11:04:45 AM

;)  seriously LOL
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

markberwyn

A little story about the rules Berwyn lived by two decades years ago. Maybe it was better before then?

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=1787.msg25636#msg25636
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwynson

Much earlier, and much, much worse. Technically, worst part happened on the Cicero side of Lombard, at 19th. St. But, the "strip" there provided area for brawls, cops, and, final, National Guard troops!    berwynson

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=7bec066e5f35be9c1e54265b9789ae51&topic=2664.0

~LL~

Quote from: markberwyn on December 02, 2013, 03:45:32 PM
A little story about the rules Berwyn lived by two decades years ago. Maybe it was better before then?

Thanks for posting this.  Let us not forget..
Sidenote:  the author wrote a really good book about Chicago's neighborhoods - "Never A City So Real".  Highly recommend.

markberwyn

Quote from: ~LL~ on December 02, 2013, 05:17:26 PM

Sidenote:  the author wrote a really good book about Chicago's neighborhoods - "Never A City So Real".  Highly recommend.

And another very good book, "There Are No Children Here."

~LL~

Quote from: markberwyn on December 02, 2013, 06:34:24 PM
Quote from: ~LL~ on December 02, 2013, 05:17:26 PM

And another very good book, "There Are No Children Here."

Oh, my goodness!  Yes - excellent Book.  He is also an excellent speaker - hear him last year in Brookfield when several local libraries used his "Never A City So Real" for a community-read program.

berwyn senator

The foul language I would say is not necessary to get a point across,or maybe it is for lack of  another adjective.For everyones information compared to today and the amount of people who lack respect its was almost paradise.The dysfunctional of today would not have survived,way to strict. Guns were in most homes,children did not take them to shoot other children,or to rob stores,there was respect.We sat on our front porch during hot summer evenings ,surprise no drive by shootings!We played in actual school yards no drive by shootings. I almost forgot there were no gangs as we have today,I sure we all know who they are the ones that supply all dope to the kids with no jobs living off daddy trying to supposedly get an education. Off the subject,I was at a military affair several years ago,the question of the draft came up,should we bring it back? Direct answer from the officers,we don't want people we can't educate nor train which is the part of the population that would be drafted!!!

markberwyn

You seem very concerned about drive-by shootings. Do these happen often in Berwyn?

markberwyn

When I search Google for "'drive by shooting' +Berwyn" I get no relevant results. Why is that?

Good Time Charlie

Unless you were a minority. Then probably not so much!

Good Time Charlie

Quote from: markberwyn on December 03, 2013, 12:49:58 PM
When I search Google for "'drive by shooting' +Berwyn" I get no relevant results. Why is that?

Everyone knows the government doesn't report it. It's because of the liberals.

markberwyn

I wonder if berwyn senator will respond to any of these points. Is that what people did in the "good old days"? Refuse to respond when somebody pointed out that their ideas are full of holes?

seebee

Quote from: Charlie Slater on December 03, 2013, 05:07:55 PM

Unless you were a minority. Then probably not so much!

LOL.
When I was around 12 yrs old, I rode my bike from N Oak Park down to Berwyn with a buddy of mine once. I thought we must have crossed into Mississippi or something from the words the kids (who looked like they were quite a few years younger than I) were yelling at me. We promptly turned around and headed back to civilization after the second round of taunting from a different group of people got us to thinking that we might be the next couple of people who wound up "missing."

berwyn senator

Lets start by an answer to those who came from N Oak Park to Berwyn,on bikes and were scared back,what year was that?When I was a kid the only ones who were scared back by ghosts were the drunks from Oak Park who crossed Roosevelt Rd. to indulge at Berwyns finest bars,Oak Park was dry.Next time try walking!!! Just joking! Drive-bys happen most go unreported by residents,the others are a question.I am not just talking about Berwyn,society is very hostile today. If google doesn't work try Facebook. My post was not pointed at racism,some just took the subject their way.My point was how different people raised  children years ago compared to today,could have been any town.By what I read most on BTF were not in Berwyn from the 40's to present,maybe not even on this earth.The Senator will discuss any kind of a hole no matter what,size, or shape,or whose it may be.

markberwyn

How many unreported drive by shootings happen in Berwyn each week, do you figure?

seebee

Quote from: berwyn senator on December 03, 2013, 11:30:34 AM
...I sure we all know who they are the ones that supply all dope to the kids with no jobs living off daddy trying to supposedly get an education.

I literally know 6 guys who did EXACTLY that. Suburban caucasion kids from VERY wealthy families.