News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Fridge

Started by MindoverMatter, April 19, 2012, 02:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MindoverMatter

Looking to purchase a Fridge nothing fancy...something basic doesnt matter the color.  Please let me know.

watcher

Quote from: MindoverMatter on April 19, 2012, 02:15:54 PM
Looking to purchase a Fridge nothing fancy...something basic doesnt matter the color.  Please let me know.

How big (or little) ?
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

berwynson

How's about let's find out which (if any) fridge today is BUILT HERE, or contains components made here, or both. I would jump to buy that one, even if it suffered bad "derog". After all, lots of stuff made in China is shitty, at best, anyhow.

berwynson

PamF

dukesdad

See if you can get a dented one at the Sears outlet. A used one (unless it's almost new) will kill you on electric usage. It will cost you more to run it for a year than you pay for it.

watcher

Quote from: PamF on April 20, 2012, 12:38:50 PM
New? Used?

Why would someone looking for a "new" fridge post here?
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

MindoverMatter

Looking for a used fridge for a concession stand for a local organization.

seebee

Herb's Refrigeration on North avenue 5000 west -ish?
I also see a listing for El Milagro Used Refrigeration 3000 Cermak-ish.
Craigslist?
Freecycle?
Sears Outlet would be a good place to check as well. They do have used stuff.

watcher

Quote from: MindoverMatter on April 20, 2012, 05:51:55 PM
Looking for a used fridge for a concession stand for a local organization.

Contact the local HH Gregg, Sears, Best Buy, Goodwill, Salvation Army. Tell them your need.
They may be willing to accommodate.
Couldn't hurt?

PamF

Quote from: watcher on April 20, 2012, 03:52:46 PM
New? Used?

Looking for info on good deals on new ones....like the suggestions of Sears Outlet, Mr. Wiseguy.

berwynson

Quote from: PamF on April 24, 2012, 03:46:10 PM
Quote from: watcher on April 20, 2012, 03:52:46 PM
New? Used?

Looking for info on good deals on new ones....like the suggestions of Sears Outlet, Mr. Wiseguy.

I've heard it said that only Amana has remained virtually American-made. I wonder if anyone knows about that?

berwynson

berwynson

Thank you for that, Pam! It's certain I guess that foreign-owned companies which bought into traditional American-name-sake products, then built plants here, or continued using plants already here, may only assemble the product here using foreign-made component parts. Surely, the profits for sales do not remain here.

I have an Internet friend in Mississippi, Van Robinson, young family-man, very courteous and gracious, who works as an Electrician in a Nissan-owned plant down there. He was good enough to meet my wife & I for lunch, when we drove down seeking possibilities for permanent residence there. He explained a lot to me regarding the ways and means the foreign-owned company uses realistic philosophies to maintain good relations between Management and Rank and File in the plant. This mode of production seems to have become a way of life in America now.

I personally miss the traditional family-owned, or at least family-originated manufacturing operation like the one I started out with, Victor Manufacturing and Gasket Co., on Roosevelt Rd. Everyone working there knew almost everyone else, supervisors were adept in their Departments requirements, we had softball teams, bowling, picnics, etc.

But, so it goes.   berwynson

berwyn senator

Remember Crown Stove Company in Cicero.they used to manufacture one of the finest stoves on the market.The best part they supported the product,parts availability,if a problem existed you could go to the plant and actually speak to a knowledgeable person.Today there is no one available to speak to that is capable of understanding what  your talking about,example.Bought a patio set from Sears six chairs two swivel recliners all aluminum.A part holding the base to the chair cracked,the piece of shit was 2x4 inches 1/4 inch thick with four 3/8 inch holes,the best part the piece was hollow and was filled with a type of epoxy,no wonder it cracked.Forget the company they were out of business,Sears didn't have any parts,so I went Sears and on the floor was a similar set different co. exactly the same part on the swivel recliners,same color.Sears could not order the part from the different co.nor did this co. have any parts.So what good is a five year warranty? A friend of mine works in a small job shop and made replacements which were far superior than the originals.Wonder why Sears is in trouble with all the crap from China they are selling.