News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

PARCC

Started by Mustang84, November 27, 2014, 01:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang84

I heard that the superintendent of Morton has been speaking about the new test that the state is mandating.it seems that he is not the only one who thinks it is a bad idea. I did a search and found this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/11/25/a-damning-account-of-one-states-common-core-testing-initiative/

markberwyn

Quote from: Mustang84 on November 27, 2014, 01:53:57 PM
I heard that the superintendent of Morton has been speaking about the new test that the state is mandating.it seems that he is not the only one who thinks it is a bad idea. I did a search and found this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/11/25/a-damning-account-of-one-states-common-core-testing-initiative/

I have to imagine that, given the abysmal state of Morton's academics, the superintendent would think any kind of standardized testing is a bad idea. What could it possibly do but reveal the derelict condition that decades of neglect has produced?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Mustang84

Regardless of your disdain for Morton, perhaps you could at least look to acknowledge that there have been drastic improvements made to the schools in 201. Perhaps as you say "decades of neglect", but it seems to me they are now moving forward. they will never be Stevenson or Highland Park, but it is apparent to me and to others that they have taken bold steps to make change. The whole issue about testing was that I heard the Superintendent was advocating against the new test because it has no motivation for students to do well, is not valid nor reliable and because there is increased testing for students with no purpose. here is a link to another article:

http://chicagosuntimes.com/news/putting-parcc-the-new-standardized-exam-to-the-test/

LetsGoThrow

It's probably also worth noting that of the original 26 states and the District of Columbia that originally signed on in 2010 to administer the test (mostly because federal dollars were attached to them doing so) only 12 states and D.C. are still on board - and the test has never even been given yet.

The test itself is going to cost the district $29 per student or about $225,000 and up to 9 instructional days to give.

markberwyn

Quote from: Mustang84 on December 01, 2014, 11:03:52 AM
Regardless of your disdain for Morton, perhaps you could at least look to acknowledge that there have been drastic improvements made to the schools in 201. Perhaps as you say "decades of neglect", but it seems to me they are now moving forward. they will never be Stevenson or Highland Park, but it is apparent to me and to others that they have taken bold steps to make change. The whole issue about testing was that I heard the Superintendent was advocating against the new test because it has no motivation for students to do well, is not valid nor reliable and because there is increased testing for students with no purpose. here is a link to another article:

http://chicagosuntimes.com/news/putting-parcc-the-new-standardized-exam-to-the-test/

I suppose it's easy to talk about "drastic improvements" and "moving forward" and "bold steps" if you feel no need to present evidence backing these claims of improvement.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on December 01, 2014, 07:21:16 PM
Quote from: Mustang84 on December 01, 2014, 11:03:52 AM

I suppose it's easy to talk about "drastic improvements" and "moving forward" and "bold steps" if you feel no need to present evidence backing these claims of improvement.
I really wonder if you ever look at other districts with similar demographics as District 201 such as minority students and low income students and compare them to our district in terms of test scores.  But, oh no, we should compare our district to districts that in no way, shape or form compare to our district.  Actually, I do acknowledge positive changes that have been made, whether or not they result in higher test scores.  If these changes result in the students being proud of the area they come from I consider that to be a big step forward for the district.

markberwyn

Ah yes, I remember this one. "The academics aren't great, but the students have lots of school spirit." How does that get those students a job or admission into college?

I imagine a lot of Berwyn property owners agree with your "Morton is pretty good for a school full of minorities" argument, which it why they've never been particularly motivated to invest in the district.

watcher

Quote from: markberwyn on December 03, 2014, 07:57:21 AM
Ah yes, I remember this one. "The academics aren't great, but the students have lots of school spirit." How does that get those students a job or admission into college?

I imagine a lot of Berwyn property owners agree with your "Morton is pretty good for a school full of minorities" argument, which it why they've never been particularly motivated to invest in the district.

High school used to be where you began to figure out what to do when you grew up; what your talents and interests were. There were jobs, careers, occupations available for just about anyone willing to work. It was possible to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to transition into the workforce after HS graduation. Things are very different today. Opportunities are still out there, but a college degree, we're told is now the minimum baseline to compete. If you don't/can't meet it, whether for academic or economic reasons, regardless of talent, ability or potential, it's accepted that your life will be a struggle. In short, you have to buy your way in. You or your parents are expected to mortgage your future to even have a chance. You can join the military?

PARCC and Common Core are just the latest tools in this sorting/limiting/conforming process because nobody's sure how to break this cycle. Thank you for playing our game.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

markberwyn

Public education has always had a "conforming" element to it---government has supported it under the sensible argument that it's more efficient to have an intelligent and skilled society than a stupid and unskilled one. I understand the complaints against standardized testing and Common Core, but a lot of people voice those complaints not because they're so very concerned about quality education but because they'll look for any excuse to rationalize not paying into the system.

watcher

Quote from: markberwyn on December 05, 2014, 11:37:07 AM
Public education has always had a "conforming" element to it---government has supported it under the sensible argument that it's more efficient to have an intelligent and skilled society than a stupid and unskilled one. I understand the complaints against standardized testing and Common Core, but a lot of people voice those complaints not because they're so very concerned about quality education but because they'll look for any excuse to rationalize not paying into the system.

I've heard the de-funding theses, but they don't jibe with the current trajectory. Education represents huge profit potential to be mined. In fact, most of our current difficulties track back to money pools, real or perceived, being tapped and diverted under the guise of market efficiencies. Using shills to sow fear, discontent, distrust and uncertainty, distractions to prevent people from questioning what's going down and the illusion that we can't slow down, take stock and make better choices, we are being driven along toward the abyss. It's Stephen King's "Langoliers". Meanwhile the takings and lootings continue.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

markberwyn

The "We Need Thoroughgoing Systemic Change Now!" hectoring doesn't do a lot for me. I'd sooner see the taxpaying community in the district recognize that education is a social good. Pay for the schools, or pay for policing and social services; either way, you wind up paying. Which would you rather pay for?

watcher

Quote from: markberwyn on December 05, 2014, 06:51:07 PM
The "We Need Thoroughgoing Systemic Change Now!" hectoring doesn't do a lot for me. I'd sooner see the taxpaying community in the district recognize that education is a social good. Pay for the schools, or pay for policing and social services; either way, you wind up paying. Which would you rather pay for?

No contest, but a false choice. The Grace Report started this tail-chasing demonization of public education. To what end?
I would contend it was to provide cover for the national pillaging and looting of our national equity and implementation of a caste system against the will and best interests of the people.
Schools have been swimming against the current ever since. No matter what they do, it's never enough. The cures have been worse than the alleged disease. Systemic change? I'm advocating a serious re-evaluation of the wholesale systemic changes that have already been implemented. We aren't educating a national workforce. We're creating checkpoints and barriers to access. The outcasts of this selection process demand ever-increasing policing and social services.

There is a tipping point. We are constantly at or near it these days. To me, that's pure insanity.

markberwyn

Quote from: watcher on December 06, 2014, 09:28:59 AM
Quote from: markberwyn on December 05, 2014, 06:51:07 PM

No contest, but a false choice. The Grace Report started this tail-chasing demonization of public education. To what end?
I would contend it was to provide cover for the national pillaging and looting of our national equity and implementation of a caste system against the will and best interests of the people.
Schools have been swimming against the current ever since. No matter what they do, it's never enough. The cures have been worse than the alleged disease. Systemic change? I'm advocating a serious re-evaluation of the wholesale systemic changes that have already been implemented. We aren't educating a national workforce. We're creating checkpoints and barriers to access. The outcasts of this selection process demand ever-increasing policing and social services.

There is a tipping point. We are constantly at or near it these days. To me, that's pure insanity.

I suspect we hope for the same results, but I can't read your post as anything but ideological blithering. What is this "national equity" you speak of? Who is doing this looting and pillaging? What does public education have to do with it? Since you don't (can't?) name names, this reads like liberal-buzzword stew.

This isn't hard: Berwyn-Cicero taxpayers are a community that's contented itself with what George W. Bush once called the soft bigotry of low expectations. Fixing that would require that community to feel more responsible for itself. Maybe the robber barons stole their brains or something, as you suggest, the I think the problem still gets fixed locally, not by storming the Wall Street barricades.

watcher

Quote from: markberwyn on December 06, 2014, 10:54:17 AM
I suspect we hope for the same results, but I can't read your post as anything but ideological blithering. What is this "national equity" you speak of? Who is doing this looting and pillaging? What does public education have to do with it? Since you don't (can't?) name names, this reads like liberal-buzzword stew.

This isn't hard: Berwyn-Cicero taxpayers are a community that's contented itself with what George W. Bush once called the soft bigotry of low expectations. Fixing that would require that community to feel more responsible for itself. Maybe the robber barons stole their brains or something, as you suggest, the I think the problem still gets fixed locally, not by storming the Wall Street barricades.

Well, call me Niemöller.  What does public education have to do with it? What's taught in school has to dovetail with what takes place once schooling is finished. Do you honestly believe the area's low expectations were self-imposed?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." ― Albert Einstein

How long ago was this area an economic engine? Who or what caused its demise? Where did those rainy day funds go?
What was the plan?

I can't help but sound like I'm speaking some sort of gibberish. We've detoured so far, so fast, so untethered, that there's no longer a frame of reference to sanity. We've so skewed the concepts of value and worth, to an externally imposed template, that there isn't a vocabulary to convey the inanity of what's been done.

markberwyn

If you don't have the vocabulary to explain what's going on, perhaps you should stop trying to use words. I think you mean well, but you're talking nonsense.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: markberwyn on December 03, 2014, 07:57:21 AM

I disagree with that last paragraph Mark.

I think there are a bunch of cheap fuckers here that say "I did ok with Morton, and I don't have kids there...why should I pay?".

What frustrates me is that no one seems to want to aim higher.  It is always the same old cop out about look who goes to school there.

At the end of the day, they are all kids, able to learn.  They need to be given the best shot possible.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato