Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

City Council meeting

Started by Berwyn Patsy, April 25, 2005, 06:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Face Reality

I just hope it doesn't get out of hand

markberwyn

Why would it? Will Berwynites Against Tackiness (BAT) be in attendance?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Face Reality

I hoped and thought this board was open to all opinions.  I guess when a few people have a different take on things the sarcasim starts flying.

markberwyn

You haven't defended your argument that going to O'Connor's inauguration is unsafe. If you're just going to produce empty bluster, you set yourself up for mockery. Sorry.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Face Reality

I believe you are the one that brought up the National Guard scenario.  I was just stating an opinion.  I am not a lawyer who needs to defend my argument.

markberwyn

So you just wanted to leave the suggestion out there that attending the inauguration is dangerous without bothering to explain why -- just because you don't like O'Connor. Boo to you, bub.

jqpublic

City hall is under a federal corruption investigation. Ditto for the police department and the park district.

The folks that brought us these investigations have been flushed right out of city hall due to the tenacity of of the IVB.

I would say that's cause for celebration. Whatever Mr. O'Connor has in mind, I'm sure, isn't on a scale large enough to equal his party's accomplishments.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Face Reality

You are as arrogant as The Purple One.  I said I THINK it would be safer inside as opposed to on the streets.  My statement has nothing to do with my like or dislike for O'Connor.  I never heard of any other town celebrating on the streets.  I THINK that when many people congregrate in an outside environment that the POSSIBILITY for mayhem is there.  Excuse me for my opinions, bub.

Face Reality

City hall has been under investigation long before the new administartion was voted in.  Sorry but the IVB doesn't get credit for that one.  It's a continuation of what Bojovic started.

OakParkSpartan

Face Reality,

What reality would you have preferred on April 5?  There was no viable alternative.  My experience with the people in the IVB has been good.  I've never been asked if I wanted a job, and have never met anyone that did ask for a job. 

I guess a town where there is no fiscal accountability (except to the police chief/Dem Committeeman), doesn't seem to have progressed beyone 1993, and has their City Hall, Rec Dept and Police department under federal investigation, and is fraught with nepotism (see the Stillo's)  is a better place to live than one where the government is open and works for the citizens?

Quite frankly, you sound like one of the stiffs who (hopefully) will lose their political appointee jobs.  Is it sad that someone might be laid off before they can collect their entire pension? Yep.  But welcome to the real world.  Things aren't done so that one person may benefit on the shoulders of others.  Ask the employee's at Sears or the thousands laid off by Lucent/Fanny May etc.  As a tax payer, I feel that if you get you job through "who you know" you damn well better be ready to accept the consequences when you don't know the person in power any more.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Face Reality

Now I am a stiff?  Thank you.  I am not affiliated with City Hall (past, present or future) in any way, shape, or form.

Face Reality

I guess folks are only welcome to post here when they agree with everyone else.  :(

Berwyn Patsy

Did  O'conner and his group not celebrate on election day??  The majority of people are happy
we have a new administration, but really do we need closed streets, tents, closed circuit T.V.,and
extra police protection???? Who will be paying for this is my question? 

Face Reality

Yep, had their celebration at Skylite West (inside) and spilled over onto Ogden Ave. (outside)

markberwyn

Quote from: Face Reality on April 30, 2005, 10:28:42 AM
You are as arrogant as The Purple One.  I said I THINK it would be safer inside as opposed to on the streets.  My statement has nothing to do with my like or dislike for O'Connor.  I never heard of any other town celebrating on the streets.  I THINK that when many people congregrate in an outside environment that the POSSIBILITY for mayhem is there.  Excuse me for my opinions, bub.

So we ought to cancel the Fourth of July parade, then?

Face Reality, nobody's stopping you from posting, and nobody is saying your posting here is unwelcome. But I'm not going to feel particularly bad about pointing out the name-calling and lack of logic in your statements. If you don't like the idea of an inauguration party on the streets of Berwyn...don't go. If you don't like the idea of city resources being used at the event, lobby the appropriate authorities and tell them you feel it's a misuse of your tax dollars. (If tax dollars are in fact being used.) If you feel that this event will prove dangerous, call the principals of local schools and tell them to please have all children stay inside and safe from harm while this event is taking place. 

T-Stan RPCV

I believe the official IVB line is that the tents are for TVs. Apparently city hall will not be able to accommodate all those who wish to view the ceremony so they wanted a place for those who arent family or on the guest list to be able to watch.

I don't buy it.  It's an excuse to promote their party although it is not going to be a huge safety risk (unless people get liquored up before hand).

Hopefully some other good may come out of it such as increased public awareness/interest in local politics.  Even with all the media attention and signs, voter turn out was pathetic.  I'm not opptomistic that this is going to happen,  likely a bunch of IVB supporters (AKA: BRDO detractors) having their day in the spotlight.

I think its great that we're starting to see more diverse opinions on this board.  The new administration has 4 years, we need both supporters and critics to evaluate the new city hall and keep them in line.

jqpublic

Quote from: Face Reality on April 30, 2005, 10:31:13 AM
City hall has been under investigation long before the new administartion was voted in.  Sorry but the IVB doesn't get credit for that one.  It's a continuation of what Bojovic started.

But the federal subpoenas in the corruption investigation of the police department and park district just came down earlier this month. I think the six felony indictments against Mr. Marzullo for his alleged participation in the brutal beating of Wayne Pesek are soon going to be the least of his worries.

I can't believe that any sane person could sit here and slam O'Connor before he's even been sworn in.

It's going to take a little time to unf*** what Shaughnessy and his gang of thieves f***d up in the first place.

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

pkd50

Where to begin.....   TStan I'm with you.  I like some diverse opinions.  This board was starting to sound like the IVP love fest.

Face Reality.   Some of O'C's people also had a party the following Sat. at Garv's on Windsor & East. 

Oak Park Spartan you said you didn't know anybody who asked for a job.  I do.  He asked for it one year ago and was given it immediately after the election.  Is this wrong?  I personally don't think so, but if you ever read or heard O'C talk about City Hall personel you'd think it was a mortal sin.   The shoe is on the other foot now, and it doesn't seem so bad to him anymore.  Finally,  are you guys kidding about closing the street and putting up tents?  God, what is this Mayberry?

Face Reality

QuoteSo we ought to cancel the Fourth of July parade, then?
That's totally different.  That's like comparing apples and oranges.
QuoteIf you don't like the idea of city resources being used at the event, lobby the appropriate authorities and tell them you feel it's a misuse of your tax dollars.
I never said anything about tax dollars, that was someone else.
Quotecall the principals of local schools and tell them to please have all children stay inside and safe from harm while this event is taking place.  
This event isn't during school hours.  The street is scheduled  to be closed somewhere around 4:30pm thru 11:30pm. (In my OPINION, starting too early and ending too late.)  The swearing-in takes place during the regular City Council meeting.  The out-going alderman have their meeting as usual wrapping up any old business, then the swearing-in and then a meeting with the new administration.

QuoteI can't believe that any sane person could sit here and slam O'Connor before he's even been sworn in.
I wasn't slamming O'Connor either.  I merely stated that I don't think a 'party' on the streets is wise.

and I won't be attending as it is my right. Just as it my right to post my views whether you IVB supporters agree with them or not.

Face Reality

My point about the jobs was that O'Connor promised alot of jobs during his campaign in exchange for support.  (Suchy and the printer guy.....I know this for sure).  He also offered Castro & Kacirek jobs while they were candidates.  That is a felony because it is considered tampering with electoral process.  He is not the saintly Messiah that everyone thinks he is.  We will have to see what happens after the swearing in and who gets appointed to what.  I hope that he will not let his true supporters down.