News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

City Council meeting

Started by Berwyn Patsy, April 25, 2005, 06:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Face Reality

I tried to access the chatroom.  I get a Security Warning....................

T-Stan RPCV

Don't know why? I got in no problems.  Technology and I don't play well together, it either works or it doesnt

markberwyn

Quote from: pkd50 on April 30, 2005, 10:07:14 PM
No....don't go to the chat room.   We all need to hear both sides.     Mike Adams?  Section 8..... God help us all!!!

Oh, criminy. Are we back to Shandra the Scary Black Berwynite again?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

OakParkSpartan

Jim,

Since it is late, and the www.lenovo.com launch seems to be going off well..just what country is "ws"?  I am too tired to look it up now, but am curious?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bru67

Quote from: Face Reality on April 30, 2005, 12:23:25 AM
Our wonderful city is in for alot of trouble.  Just wait and see.  In 4 years, all the lemmings who put their Messiah on the throne of Mayor will be sorry.  Too bad he didn't really 'earn' his votes.  All the votes for O'Connor were merely anit-current administration votes.  We already have an overcrowding problem (residences as well as parking) so why would The Purple One want to flood South Berwyn with Condo's?  

T-Stan-  You must have no clue how the political game is played.  You don't think that the over-inflated Purple One didn't make job promises? Remember that house on Oak Park Ave by the viaduct that had the huge O'Connor sign?  The owner is a printer by trade but O'Connor has promised him a job.  I can't wait to find out what.  Remember Debi Suchy who ran for 2nd Ward Alderman under Bojovic?  After she lost to Marzullo she went to support O'Connor (originally was an independent, went to the New Democratic Party, and then back to the IVB......what loyalty!) and she was promised a job at City Hall.  Anything to get herself and kid a job. Either Mary Drenth's job (Mayor's secretary or Alba Lovero's job as City Collector.  Mary is supposed to retire in September and Shaughnessy asked The Purple One to let Mary stay on.  O'Connor agreed.  A gentlemen's agreement.  Then he re-nigs and says "his people" says it's not a compatible match.  Who are his people?  That position is totally up to O'Connor.  He can't wait until September to replace her after she retires? No, let's screw up a womans life and have her lose her retirement pension and get Suchy in there.  Suchy has no morals or values either.  Some people will do whatever it takes to get what they want and could care less who they hurt or run over in the process.  How many other jobs has O'Connor promised?  What kind of transition will we have?  Not a good one.  This town will be in turmoil.  Do you know that it is a felony to offer a candidate a position?  O'Connor offered Castro a job, offered !!!!!!!!!! a job.  You want to talk about honesty?  O'Connor and his lemmings sure ain't it!

And renters don't create a parking problem?  You've a lot to learn young grasshopper.  Paying attention to the type of person renting our apartments lately by chance?  A little ghetto that my fiance and I have taken to snidely calling "North Central" is starting to spring up right under our noses.  If that trash spreads anywhere close to us, we're taking our dual income to Downers Grove.  The sooner we can bring in condo owners who have an ownership interest in the community, lower the apartment supply, and raise rents the better.  If you want to control the parking, pass an overnight parking ban.  What did you guys do about parking btw?  A whole lot of nothing by the looks of it.

And while we're at it, why are YOU whining about the "The Purple One" handing out favors???  Good lord.  You guys took the definition of "favor" to a new level -- jobs, money, and even a whole new set of laws.  How nice.  You know, a lot of people would define "heaven" as a $165k salary, full pension and benefits, and the option of beating people to smithereens at will.  So long as you don't piss off the boss and end up in the trunk of a Cadillac, that's not a bad gig at all.  But it looks like that's ended now that not even Madigan had the clout to save your boy's sorry a$$ this time.  Sorry about that.  The one good thing I'll say about your party is that you finally managed to piss the citizens off enough to start paying attention.  So even if Mike O. is a "blatant liar and con artist" (as you accuse) he's not going to have near the same latitude you guys did.  For this we thank you, I guess.

OakParkSpartan

What area are you referring to as North Central?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bru67

Just north of what everyone wants to be the crown jewel of Berwyn economic redevelopment -- the Superblock.  Just drive around there and you'll see what I'm talking about.  I'd like to see that area become like Logan Square but instead it's starting to resemble Cabrini Green back in the day.  We need to put an end to that.  Perhaps the development of that area will be just the ticket, as you suggested in another thread .     

OakParkSpartan

Hey Bru,

Where do you live?  I'm on the 1900 block of Kenilworth.

My wife and I walked to the Halal store a block over and commented on the state of many of the yards.  I am going to be optimistic and guess we are going to have a giant vat of dandelion wine later this summer, or else people just don't give a shit about their yards. There are a couple of buildings on this block that have questionable tenants in them.  We went through this last summer with one family who eventually moved out, but they have returned on the opposite side of the street.  They were evicted...do landlords NOT do back ground checks?  sigh...

Cheers,
Brian

Bru67

Near Proksa Park.  We're "sheltered" because here people decidedly care about their properties and the neigborhood is gorgeous.  But yea, you know what I'm talking about re North Central BA.  You may be right on that wine -- though I'm afraid they'll be drinking it out of bottles in paper sacks on the front stoop with no shirts on during the work day.  The rental market is absolute garbage right now so landlords, who must eat too, are taking basically any piece of junk that rustles in the door.  I'm convinced they'd actually shoot each other over Section 8 tenants, what with the guaranteed rent check and all.  Maybe they are by the looks of that place on a Saturday night who knows.  And this isn't just Berwyn either btw so don't think I'm picking on this city we know and love.  We just have too many rentals clustered in one area is all.  The only time rentals are ever going to be a good thing is if you're Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Oak Park, or Bucktown and getting students and artists.  Unfortunately, that's not going to happen in Berwyn unless we run the L back out here like it was pre-1952.   

pkd50

Bru how do you feel about Mayor elect O'C bring Section 8 to South Berwyn....not far from your sheltered beautiful Proksa Park Area?

Bru67

You guys lost so there's no need to keep harping on this.  I've heard this before from others in your party but no one to date has shown me how O'Connor is going to be bringing Section 8 housing to Berwyn.  I'm sure Woody would have circulated a nice glossy flyer on it if there was any kind of evidence at all.  That O'Connor may own a rental property and rented to a person with a Section 8 voucher isn't sufficient.  But what the hell.  I again invite you -- show us the proof. 

Most of the poor people who are now causing trouble in North Central BA came here during your administration.  And to be honest, I'd almost rather have Section 8ers versus other marginally incomed because Section 8 receipients are under a lot of regulations and if they F up, they lose their entitlement.  Oak Park has plenty of them and it hasn't gone down hill.  It's about how you deal with it and spread it out.

Bear

Not to mention, a building that gets section 8 has to be squared away,
similar to properties qualifying for VA loans
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

pkd50

Bru believe me, I'm NOT part of the former administration, and I didn't vote that way.   I'm just worried that things aren't going to be as rosey as we all hope it will be.  If we continue to think that way, O'C and his people will have a free pass.  The IVP isn't going to be the watchdog that we had before, so I think we have to watch closely.  Things should be okay during the honeymoon phase while they are still uncovering the dirt left behind.  We just have to make sure that things that were promised are delivered.   That said...let me say again.   I WANT  O'C to do well, so we all do well.  I'm still hoping he has good people to guide him.  I think he needs it.  We were trying to get rid of the last administration, so we took the IVP because there wasn't much else we had.  Let's hope we did the right thing. 

joe

Quote from: Face Reality on April 30, 2005, 06:55:23 PM
I would hardly classifiy what Gone from City Hall is posting as a rant.
Having someone post on here with factual information from first hand knowledge and experience can only enlighten us all.

actually mr. face these so called "facts" might be even slightly believable if they were stated by a person with a real name, "gone from city hall" says only one thing...I'm a biased opinion!

OakParkSpartan

I personally hope/expect there to be a lot of people inside the iVB that maintain the standards we wanted.  Most of the IVB people I have met do not seem to be people who want to take advantage of the city, but rather people who want to see Berwyn prosper as a whole, and not just for their personal gain.

Cheers,
Brian

Bru67

Quote from: pkd50 on May 02, 2005, 09:29:43 AM
Bru believe me, I'm NOT part of the former administration, and I didn't vote that way.   I'm just worried that things aren't going to be as rosey as we all hope it will be.  If we continue to think that way, O'C and his people will have a free pass.  The IVP isn't going to be the watchdog that we had before, so I think we have to watch closely.  Things should be okay during the honeymoon phase while they are still uncovering the dirt left behind.  We just have to make sure that things that were promised are delivered.   That said...let me say again.   I WANT  O'C to do well, so we all do well.  I'm still hoping he has good people to guide him.  I think he needs it.  We were trying to get rid of the last administration, so we took the IVP because there wasn't much else we had.  Let's hope we did the right thing.  

Ok.  Then I apologize for lumping you in with such a lot.  I just thought you were being a bit hard on O'C by leveling an age-old accusation at him so I got a little annoyed is all.  I don't mind criticism but I'm getting tired of people ripping him with no support.  I do, however, applaud your view that we should keep watch and not just switch on the cruise control now that the old administration is gone.  I'm confident that the citizens will be watching but it's a point worth repeating. 

Oak Park Spartan is right, the IVB is full of people who care and want Berwyn to be better, at least that's my impression thus far.  So we need to both watch them and give them the benefit of the doubt and refrain from leveling unfounded accusations at them.  That is all.  Peace. 

OakParkSpartan

I think one of the keys to Berwyn moving forward is increased citizen participation.  There seem to be more people energized following the election than previously.

That is a good thing IMHO.

Cheers,
Brian