News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

How Did Frank Marzullo Become Frank Marzullo?

Started by markberwyn, April 29, 2005, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markberwyn

One thing that's lacking in the stories about the Golden Steer incident is some historical perspective about Frank Marzullo. I'm a relative newcomer to Berwyn, so I'm pretty much ignorant about how he came to wield so much power in the police department -- and, allegedly, in local politics.

So can some of the old-timers on the board help me out here? Did he just climb the ladder for years and years? Did he have a mentor of some sort? Did he come out of a family of cops? Basically: what's his backstory?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

pkd50

I heard that he was on the department for 30 years before he become top cop.

OakParkSpartan

I heard he originally was from Chicago, and was mentored by a machine person from over there.  Who knows if that is true.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

pkd50

I don't think that he was related to Vito.  His family couldn't have been a big help if it took him 30 years on the job to get to the top.

markberwyn

I think you're both right. Here's a line from one of Carol Marin's columns in advance of the election:

Marzullo, one of the highest paid law enforcement officials in the nation at $167,000 a year, got his start in politics years ago under the tutelage of the late, legendary 25th Ward Chicago Ald. Vito Marzullo (no relation). He left Chicago for Berwyn 30 years ago.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Bru67

Quote from: pkd50 on April 30, 2005, 07:24:14 AM
I don't think that he was related to Vito.  His family couldn't have been a big help if it took him 30 years on the job to get to the top.

Lol.  You guys are still here?  He didn't jump from humble beat officer to top cop in a year.  That's totally false.  He's had a solid salary and power for many, many years.  I think the next year or so is going to bring many interesting things to light about the BRDO and how this city was run over the years.  Maybe it will have implications which, perhaps, reach into the entire Matrix.  Grab the popcorn and stay tuned!