News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Bungalow Scallop Shades Dilemna Poll

Started by Bungalocity, December 07, 2007, 01:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

Better that then butting drywall up against them and losing a half inch!
I just did it so when you're ready let me know.

Hint:
(Dad's are the best) there is a particular order in which they went in, and the reverse is how they come out.
Look for pigeon-toeing, it should stick through the paint...

But a taping knife under the prybar is key to preserving your wall, unless you want to do a bunch of patching later...
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

Bonster

Quote from: Bungalocity on January 21, 2008, 11:32:05 PM

LOL!  Believe me, I thought of that!
One option (which I used on my basement walls) was ¼" drywall, since the somone before me wasn't too precise in their painting of the ceiling, pretty much striping the last ¼" angle that runs to the ceiling.  But . . . if I pull it down I know I'll be able to "make it right."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Nazerac

Quote from: Bonster on January 21, 2008, 11:50:47 PM

One option (which I used on my basement walls) was ¼" drywall, since the somone before me wasn't too precise in their painting of the ceiling, pretty much striping the last ¼" angle that runs to the ceiling.  But . . . if I pull it down I know I'll be able to "make it right."

I have some type of canvas on my LR ceiling, and it is showing some cracks (actually wrinkles) and sagged at a couple of corners.  I reglued it and it looks fine for now.  I am afraid that eventually, I too, will have to take it down and that the plaster would fall right behind it!

Terri

Quote from: Nazerac on January 25, 2008, 10:34:18 AM

I have some type of canvas on my LR ceiling, and it is showing some cracks (actually wrinkles) and sagged at a couple of corners.  I reglued it and it looks fine for now.  I am afraid that eventually, I too, will have to take it down and that the plaster would fall right behind it!

Don't remove the canvas!  Our front and dining room has canvas, you are right to re-glue and paint over, paint makes it stronger.  My husband replaced portions of the canvas but it wasn't fun.   

Bonster

Quote from: Nazerac on January 25, 2008, 10:34:18 AM

Evil-T was telling me about some system of syringes you poke through your ceiling and lath work, inject some kind of epoxy which flows overs and recreates the overflow through the lath which originally held your plaster.  Problem is, it supposedly doesn't work if you have insulation!  >:(

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: Bungalocity on December 07, 2007, 01:53:18 PM
Been moved in for a week and trying to develop design ideas and would like some feedback.
I was thinking of doing something slightly unorthodox.  I'm toying of the idea of placing shades
at the half-way point of the window by the sash-lock.  This would allow me to have some privacy
at night while keeping the leaded glass exposed, rather than the more traditional method of hanging
them from the top of the window and then drawing them down when needed, but that would cover
the art-glass.

This is what I was talking about (not necessarily this shade, but this idea, bottom up):

Nazerac

What did you end up doing with the shades.  We've been shadeless for about a year now, I like it, the girl doesn't!  The tree is front of the house give us enough privacy, and we get a good amount of light, and we always know what's going on in the neighborhood. 

Bungalocity

Nothing!!!  lol.
I still can't decide. But the apartment I came from was second floor, and I never once worried about what people
would see (and believe me there was plenty to see).  so I'm used to that freedom.  The people before me were at
that 'older' point in their lives that all they wanted to do was shut off the world in ever way.

But eventually I will get the scallops.
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain