News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

"Courtesy Ford"

Started by berwynson, May 18, 2009, 08:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

Hey, does anybody remember Jim Moran, the Courtesy Man? Or anything about the show he sponsored? This goes WAAAAY back; I'm betting Patsy remembers................

buzz

Yep, his original dealership was in Chicago on Ashland Av. between Roscoe and Cornelia, west side of the street.  He sponsored a lot of stuff on early TV.  Him and 2 Ton Baker and Mad Man Muntz, they were all over like manure.
I think he was murdered a couple of years after they killed off Charlie Weber.  They had the same mob ties.  The press tried to say it was a disgruntled customer.
Remember Kids' Day at Riverview ? That was Charlie Weber.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

buzz

Also, 2 Ton Baker was the man who made "Lonely Little Petunia in an Onion Patch" forever famous.

Crunchie

Quote from: buzz on May 18, 2009, 09:54:03 PM
Also, 2 Ton Baker was the man who made "Lonely Little Petunia in an Onion Patch" forever famous.
What is that?

Berwyn Patsy

Sure do remember Jim Moran the courtesy man!! Two Ton Baker
I forgot about until Buzz mentioned him.  "The Lonely Little
Petunia in the the Onion Patch", is vaguely familiar??

Bear

Linn Burton?...BP would look snappy
in that orange Pinto....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQIW4nokmGI
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

buzz

Quote from: Crunchie on May 19, 2009, 01:59:56 AM
Quote from: buzz on May 18, 2009, 09:54:03 PM
What is that?
One of the most godawful songs ever written.  2 Ton performed regularly at the Catacombs, downstairs at the old Ivanhoe Restaurant. 

mustang54

Jim Moran moved to Florida and became the U.S distributor for either Honda or Toyota. I think the murdered dealer one of you mentioned was Foreman Motors not Jim Moran.

berwynson

I recall 2-ton Baker as a kid watching him on perhaps a show of his own for kids. He could pound the keyboard accurately while raising his arms up and down, kind of like "The Killer" did years later.

I wonder how Mad Man Muntz fit in with 2 things: the Muntz brand T-V, and there was also a Muntz automobile, I think.

Regarding Jim Moran, he was always very suave, soft-spoken, and convincing, not at all like a car salesman. We liked his style, but, alas, never bought from him. My Dad's last Chicago car purchase was from Litsinger Motors (sp. ?), a '35 Ford, bought BRAND NEW for $635! That car I grew up in, the War Years kept it in our household, the Old Man always wanted a Mercury, but at war's end, new cars were in very short supply, so a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in Cicero talked him into a '49 Lincoln in 1948, $3200, lots for a car then. That dealers name eludes me, but it was on the south side of Cermak maybe 2 or 3 blocks west of Laramie. Coud it have been Emil Denemark, or was he Cadillac?

Edit: (I just KNEW I could bring Patsy back out of retirement with a bit of nostalgia........)

buzz

Quote from: mustang54 on May 19, 2009, 11:08:47 AM
  Jim Moran moved to Florida and became the U.S distributor for either Honda or Toyota. I think the murdered dealer one of you mentioned was Foreman Motors not Jim Moran.
You're right !
Talked to my sister earlier and she corrected me too.  But neither of us could remember where Fohrman? or Foreman? motors was.  She says their advertising always contained a 4-leafed clover.

Berwyn Patsy

Jim Moran was located at the inter section of Grand, Division and
Central Park.  Fohrman Bros, might have been on Western?
Originally Jim Moran sold Hudson's, then switched to Fords. He was
the biggest Ford dealer in the U.S.

mustang54

Quote from: buzz on May 19, 2009, 04:04:09 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on May 19, 2009, 11:08:47 AM
You're right !
Talked to my sister earlier and she corrected me too.  But neither of us could remember where Fohrman? or Foreman? motors was.  She says their advertising always contained a 4-leafed clover.
Yes they had a four leaf clover. Buzz,they also used a dalmation in alot of commercials. The dog would lay on the floor in front of a car or on the hood. Ask your sis if she remembers the dog.

buzz

Quote from: mustang54 on May 20, 2009, 10:25:17 AM
Buzz,they also used a dalmation in alot of commercials. Ask your sis if she remembers the dog.
[/quote]
Damn, she remembers the dog.  But, she doesn't know a Dalmation from a Pomeranian.  She was describing the RCA Victor dog (with the grammaphone) only more spots.