News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Building renovation

Started by dukesdad, May 29, 2012, 04:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukesdad

Not exactly bungalow love, but a love of mine nonetheless. This is a building in the West Loop I have been renovating for the last year. The building was built in 1872 and had been vacant for about 10 years. Our offices are in the top 3 floors, the first floor will be retail. If there is any interest, I'll post more before and after pictures. 

dukesdad

Sorry, forgot the before.

pkd50

What a beautiful building.  Sad to think how many like it have been lost.

Bonster

Great job saving all the architectural detail!

Was the fire escaped moved to the back, or something else inside changed to meet code?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Guy_on_Clinton

SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

dukesdad

We completely gutted the inside. Built 2 new stair towers inside to satisfy the fire code.
Holden built the building here is an excerpt from the historical report I had done:

He was a City of Chicago alderman from 1862 to 1872. During his tenure, he was closely involved with the expansion of the City's drinking water supply, including the construction of the first water-supply tunnel under Lake Michigan. From 1870 to 1872, Holden served as City Council President. Due to his office, he was a prominent public official during the Chicago Fire of 1872, taking charge of the City's re- lief efforts and later writing a historically-significant account of the Fire and its aftermath. Serv- ing from 1869 to 1878, Holden was also a member of the West Parks Commission, which built and operated parks on Chicago's West Side. He was elected to the Board of the Cook County Board of Commissioners in 1874 and became its president in 1876.

buzz

Quote from: dukesdad on May 29, 2012, 08:45:56 PM
he was a prominent public official during the Chicago Fire of 1872
Nope, it was  1871
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

dukesdad

Typo.

Couple more before and after.

dukesdad

dukesdad

dukesdad

Bonster

great floors, dig the dropped ceiling over the cubicles, and most of all that throwback bar to the right of "reception"   
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

dukesdad

The bar is a 1905 Brunswick "San Domingo" that came out of a bar in Central Indiana. Got it from a guy in Joliet that deals in antique bars. The back bar is mostly original, the rest new, built to match.

Guy_on_Clinton

do numbers make sense?
what was the cost of building? cost of renovation?....  and new appraised value... hope its a happy ending for the investors...  great photos.
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

berwynguy

Dukesdad, the building turned out absolutely off the charts cool.  Rehabbing a building like this is the ultimate "green" act.  Reuse something so beautiful and historic instead of tearing it down and replacing it with a crappy cinderblock modern monstrosity.  Reusing such a historic old building like this is becoming more and more rare.  There are relatively few buildings remaining in Chicago these days that survive from the immediate post fire days.  Again, well done.  Absolutely amazing.

P.S. I LOVE that you decorated the building with some old signs.  I noticed the old yellow Chicago street signs from S. State & Paulina Streets.  Are there more?  (I actually have a couple yellow W. Berwyn Ave. signs.)  Also, is there another place online where you have these pictures that I can direct some people to check them out? 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

dukesdad

Thanks Berwynguy, you can see more about it at www.sccadv.com There is  a series of 5 videos, with 5 different perspectives on the project. And yes Guy, the numbers make sense.

Diona

Very nice indeed, you have done a great job on the building.

littlealexa

WOW, that is absolutely amazing work that went into your project.  Loving it all, the exposed brick, curb appeal, the bar, the reception area, LOVE IT!!!  Great work!

PamF

B60402

I work in the West Loop and on days where I actually can take a lunch, walk west just to get some fresh air.  I have been watching the transformation since last summer and was amazed in the difference taking place.  I cannot believe how amazing it has turned out to be.  The top that you added to the building in green against the graystone facade couldn't look better. Awesome work.