News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Finally, Tomatoes

Started by Peridot 16, July 30, 2012, 05:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peridot 16

Our hierloom tomatoes, finally enjoying them. Did medley of lemon boy, cherokee purple and mortage lifter over frezelle. Yum. Bought some buffalo mozzarella from Costco on Sat. Sunday I made some caprese salad with the above toms, fresh basil, oregano from the herb garden, drizzle of olive oil. Of course, a couple grinds of pink himalya salt and fresh peppercorns.  So good!

~LL~

Quote from: Peridot 16 on July 30, 2012, 05:03:45 PM
Our hierloom tomatoes, finally enjoying them. Did medley of lemon boy, cherokee purple and mortage lifter over frezelle. Yum. Bought some buffalo mozzarella from Costco on Sat. Sunday I made some caprese salad with the above toms, fresh basil, oregano from the herb garden, drizzle of olive oil. Of course, a couple grinds of pink himalya salt and fresh peppercorns.  So good!

Wow.  What lucious sounding ideas!  Must try.  My fav is very simple:  Just picked sliced tomato on fresh sourdough bread - lil salt and pepper.  My idea of a good treat!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

pkd50

Tomato in one hand..salt shaker in the other

~LL~

Quote from: pkd50 on July 30, 2012, 08:04:00 PM

..outside--in the garden!  perfection!!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: pkd50 on July 30, 2012, 08:04:00 PM
The way I grew up.  My father always bit into a tomato the way most people bite into an apple.  Is it a vegetable or a fruit?  You'll find out when he's done with it.

scottymac

Neighbor just turned me on to some of his homegrown (ha!ha!) this weekend and they're gone already.

Peridot, greta minds think alike, but I made sadwiches with the fresh buffalo. Nice slice of the tomato, good slab of the mozz and a little Italian seasoning on a french roll. On boy!!!

Now I have to score some more.

LOL

Try the mozz, tom, basil sandwich on grilled eggplant (marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar). Put it back on the grill after building, and let the cheese get melty. A toothpick helps hold it together. :oink:
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

SimplyBerwyn

Has anybody ever eaten green tomatoes?  If so, how do you prepare them? My barber told me to fry them-any suggestions?

I planted my tomatoes late this year and while some of them have turned red, I'm afraid I will be stuck with tons of green ones.
Hope will never be silent. --Harvey Milk

moose

Put the green ones in a brown paper bag, seal it up and in a few days they'll be red!
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

psychomom

Quote from: SimplyBerwyn on September 28, 2012, 07:25:24 AM
Has anybody ever eaten green tomatoes?  If so, how do you prepare them? My barber told me to fry them-any suggestions?

I planted my tomatoes late this year and while some of them have turned red, I'm afraid I will be stuck with tons of green ones.

My sister's fiance sliced them, dipped them in beaten egg mixture I think, and dredged them in corn meal and fried them...they were really good!
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

Bonster

Quote from: SimplyBerwyn on September 28, 2012, 07:25:24 AM
Has anybody ever eaten green tomatoes? 

The ones that come with Super Dawg dogs, yes. :)

Also tried the fried green tomatoes from the short-lived Garlic Clove and they were excellent.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

SimplyBerwyn

Quote from: moose on September 28, 2012, 07:57:58 AM
Put the green ones in a brown paper bag, seal it up and in a few days they'll be red!

Thanks.  I'm gonna have to buy alot of brown bags.
Hope will never be silent. --Harvey Milk

buzz

Quote from: psychomom on September 28, 2012, 04:01:49 PM
My sister's fiance sliced them, dipped them in beaten egg mixture I think, and dredged them in corn meal and fried them...they were really good!
That's my favorite recipe but you can also "pretend" they're an eggplant.  Mrs. Scaletti would slice them, seed them, dry/drain them, dredge them, bake them with olive oil & cheeses like a casserole.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

psychomom

Quote from: buzz on September 28, 2012, 11:13:37 PM
Quote from: psychomom on September 28, 2012, 04:01:49 PM
That's my favorite recipe but you can also "pretend" they're an eggplant.  Mrs. Scaletti would slice them, seed them, dry/drain them, dredge them, bake them with olive oil & cheeses like a casserole.

Sounds good! may have to try that...still have a lot of green ones!
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo