News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Flowers that grew wild!

Started by berwyn senator, May 21, 2015, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

I can remember years ago flowers that we called holly hocks grew behind everyones house.The alley was full of them,step on them cut them down they always returned.The flowers were a reddish pink they were always full of buds and bloomed all year.Today none can seen,they appeared like a weed and would grow anywhere.

berwyn senator

No comments,probably weren't around back then.

OakParkSpartan

I still see them occasionally, but not as much as 10 years ago.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

berwyn senator

Did the town make people remove them?Most were along the back fences in the alley.   

Nancy K.

Thanks for these memories.    I remember morning glories  and holly hocks  growing wild on the  back fences  in the alley.   The little girls picked the holly hocks and made them into dolls:   the blossom was the skirt anad the bud was the head,  put together with toothpicks, and then your mother would come and complain that you had used up all her toothpicks!   

berwyn senator

We used pull of the buds before they would bloom and flip them at each other in the alley.

berwyn senator

Another flower that would grow wild in the alleys and prairies were orange day lilies,we used to call them tiger lilies. I see them at florists and are in different colors and are expensive.The tiger lilies still grow wild around forest preserves along highways.

berwynson

berwyn senator

Completely forgot about snap dragons.