News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Berwyn aldermen face critics for hiring non-union work

Started by Bonster, September 29, 2010, 05:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Berwyn aldermen face critics for hiring non-union work

By Nick Vogel, nvogel@mysuburbanlife.com
Berwyn Life

Berwyn, IL —

The Berwyn City Council cast a rare non-unanimous vote and faced criticism from some residents for its plans to hire a non-union contractor to do concrete sidewalk work.

Aldermen voted 7-6, Sept. 28, to pay Robert R. Andreas and Sons Inc., of Cicero, $136,425 to do some of the city's sidewalk, curb and gutter repair work.

Cement Workers Union Local 76 President Al Naimoli accused Andreas of not paying prevailing wages and criticized the city for not hiring Berwyn workers. Berwyn Mayor Robert Lovero called on Naimoli to speak after he saw him shaking his head as the mayor spoke.

"It's impossible for me to believe that these people are being paid $60 an hour for doing the work of prevailing rate," Naimoli said.

The mayor said Andreas was the lowest bidder.

"We understand that there's many people that live in Berwyn and they're out of work. And we understand that to be true of not only union members but non-union people," Lovero said.

Lovero reminded the union workers that the city does not have an ordinance dictating that they hire only union workers.

"If we could legally state that nobody could be employed on any job that's bid here, unless you live in Berwyn, I'm sure we'd be happy to do that. Legally, as far as I know, we can't do that," Lovero said.

The mayor was also quick to defend himself when Naimoli questioned his concern for the city's unemployed.

"If you had a heart for the people of this town that are unemployed," Naimoli began to say.

"Well, I would take offense to you questioning my heart for the people of this town," Lovero said.

Ald. Michele Skryd voted against awarding the contract, noting that the company's apprenticeship certification was granted after the bid was made. Skryd also acknowledged that the city is not legally obligated to hire union contractors.

Money for the project comes from the motor fuel tax.
Copyright 2010 Berwyn Life. Some rights reserved
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

How did the aldermen vote 7-6?  Did some precinct captains vote?  :P

Sandy

It's time that the unions started to take responsibility for some of the problems in this economy. While I do believe people should not be forced to work for starvation wages, the high wages that unions demand make everything more expensive than it needs to be. Unions served a purpose 100 years ago, now they are just out for themselves.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Diona

Quote from: Sandy on September 29, 2010, 07:12:47 AM
It's time that the unions started to take responsibility for some of the problems in this economy. While I do believe people should not be forced to work for starvation wages, the high wages that unions demand make everything more expensive than it needs to be. Unions served a purpose 100 years ago, now they are just out for themselves.

I have to agree Sandy.  Unions aren't for the workers anymore, they seem to screw around with the workers while getting really high wages, it's sad.  Unions weren't put together so many years ago with THEIR best interest at heart, it WAS for the workers.

OakParkSpartan

Am I missing something?  Aren't the people who are NOT in unions in need of jobs as well?

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Homebody

"It's impossible for me to believe that these people are being paid $60 an hour for doing the work of prevailing rate," Naimoli said.

I understand that the "prevailing rate" of pay for cement workers is $35.20/hr in the State of Illinois. That is a lot of money to pay someone to fix a sidewalk. I didn't understand where the $60.00/hr came from when the gentleman spoke at CC last night. Marge

gizmodog

For better or worse, Illinois law requires that the prevailing wage gets paid for public improvements.  Is the prevailing wage union scale?  If the City is contracting for the work it must be a public works project, ergo ...

MindoverMatter

There are many people in need of employment right now.  Cost is a factor no matter where the money is coming from.  If the job is done right what is the issue?

dukesdad

Quotewhat is the issue?

That the city is required to pay "prevailing wage" union or non-union, doesn't matter.

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on September 29, 2010, 08:04:44 AM
Am I missing something?  Aren't the people who are NOT in unions in need of jobs as well?

No, you're actually in lockstep with the Mayor on this one.  :D

dukesdad

QuoteI understand that the "prevailing rate" of pay for cement workers is $35.20/hr in the State of Illinois. That is a lot of money to pay someone to fix a sidewalk. I didn't understand where the $60.00/hr came from when the gentleman spoke at CC last night. Marge

the $60/hr includes fringe benefits. $35/hr wage easily becomes $60 when you tack on all the fringes.

Sandy

And people like me earn between $8 - $15 per hour for RAISING YOUR CHILDREN!
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

dukesdad

Bonster

dukesdad paid no more than $6.50

Hey Homebody, was that a typo on the 7-6 vote?  If so, what was the actual tally?

Sandy

Either his children weren't in daycare up to 11 1/2 hours each day or he has no idea what the teachers in preschools make.
John F. Kennedy

dukesdad

My kids weren't in daycare. They were raised back in the good old days when you could just lock them in the basement.

Homebody

The vote was 7 to 1 in favor of awarding the contract. Ald. Skryd voted Nay after giving an explanation for her vote. Aldermen Santoy, Polashek and Avila voted to award the contract. They also felt compelled to explain their vote. Marge

J'sMom

Quote from: Sandy on September 29, 2010, 01:52:14 PM
Either his children weren't in daycare up to 11 1/2 hours each day or he has no idea what the teachers in preschools make.
Thank you for "raising my son", who attends your daycare. I don't know how to feel about your comments.

bigolo

Boy, I just wonder what the "critics"would say if the contract was awarded to the highest union bidder! Lol, as a union member myself it would be obvious that I'm pro union. But in these trying economic times, I think it is the responsibility of local government to get the best bang for our buck! While we all know this only happens on occasion, I think these clowns made a good decision in awarding the contract to Andrea's! They do exceptional work at reasonable prices!

Sandy

Hey Roach, I really do love my job and all the kids. It just gets annoying whenever I hear how much people make and how many of them don't realize what we do for such a little. See my line at the bottom of my posts - this has always been an underapreciated profession. Most of us are not in this profession to get rich.

As for unions, I get tired of hearing how they "deserve" to make such outrageous sums and that they should be considered the only people to hire.
John F. Kennedy