News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

We're Gonna Be Used as Guinea Pigs Again

Started by billyjean, October 15, 2010, 02:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyjean

Well, I just happened to see this in some old newspapers in the house.  Couldn't find it online, but it was in the September 1st edition of the Chicago Tribune ... it's called

"ComEd to open up "innovation corridor" ... and apparently we're in it. 

I scanned the article here.  Did anyone get this letter they are talking about?  I didn't.  Maybe they know better with me already.

Diona

No haven't recieved a letter about that yet.

Then again I'm in an apartment so maybe the owner of the building will get it.  He don't wany ANYTHING installed on his roof so hopefully he will tell ComEd to go to HELL!!

I have enough issues with their high bills since the Smartmeters to deal with my place being solar powered too, screw that!

time after time

I received that letter.  Twice.  The 2nd one was reminding me time was running out to apply.  I threw both letters in the trash.  They were looking for 100 households within certain towns.  Electric box had to have certain specifications.  Nothing is easy with an older building (at least with my anyway) and I didn't want the hassle of that or dealing with ComEd. I didn't want to be their Guinea Pig...exactly.

billyjean

Quote from: time after time on October 15, 2010, 10:05:03 AM
I received that letter.  Twice.  The 2nd one was reminding me time was running out to apply.  I threw both letters in the trash.  They were looking for 100 households within certain towns.  Electric box had to have certain specifications.  Nothing is easy with an older building (at least with my anyway) and I didn't want the hassle of that or dealing with ComEd. I didn't want to be their Guinea Pig...exactly.

OK, so according to you, they wanted you to APPLY.  If you don't mind, should you get that letter again, block out your personal info and then post here.  So they are asking ppl to apply ... to put in a whole new system into their house that they have no idea how it's gonna work?  Hmmm.  After I made this post, I thought geeee, you would be trusting ComEd to install or whoever they use .. a subcontractor, ontop of what may be a new roof on your house that you paid outta the butt for, then they would gizmo up your entire electrical setup.  Lawsuits are just flying all around in my head.

FYI, there are already are ppl that have solar panels that they paid for themselves.  One of the complaints is that previously, with the OLD TYPE METERS, the owner could caculate to within a very precise figure what ComED owed them back for electricity.  Now, with the Smart Meter, there is no way for them to do that.  I don't know the specifics, because in my mind it should be easier with Smart Meter because it is digital, but apparently, this is NOT the case, and there is something with the Smart Meter that prevents exact calculation of what ComEd owes you back.

rbain

Wait. Are you bitching about a program you need to apply for???

Don't apply.

Keep those coal plants burning!
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

time after time

I hope that's not directed at me.  I'm not bitching.  Like I said, I threw the letters in the garbage because I wasn't interested in applying.

@billyjean....these are the "targeted" areas:   Melrose Park, Bellwood, Maywood, River Forest, Oak Park, Forest Park, Broadview, Hillside, Berwyn and the Humboldt Park section of Chicago

https://www.comed.com/sites/newsroom/News%20Room/newsroomreleases_09012010.aspx

MindoverMatter

I received the letter along with a reminder to apply.  The deadline passed I believe. 

time after time

I think the deadline passed, also.  I can't remember the date.

time after time

Quote from: Diona on October 15, 2010, 07:53:11 AM

Then again I'm in an apartment so maybe the owner of the building will get it.  He don't wany ANYTHING installed on his roof so hopefully he will tell ComEd to go to HELL!!

I have enough issues with their high bills since the Smartmeters to deal with my place being solar powered too, screw that!

As far as I know, it's for single family homes.

billyjean

Quote from: time after time on October 15, 2010, 10:45:40 AM
I hope that's not directed at me.  I'm not bitching.  Like I said, I threw the letters in the garbage because I wasn't interested in applying.

@billyjean....these are the "targeted" areas:   Melrose Park, Bellwood, Maywood, River Forest, Oak Park, Forest Park, Broadview, Hillside, Berwyn and the Humboldt Park section of Chicago

https://www.comed.com/sites/newsroom/News%20Room/newsroomreleases_09012010.aspx

Thanks, Time for that link.  Looks like you get free everything.  I wonder if they don't reach their goal with volunteers when the forced tactics will appear.  You can't get ComEd to address concerns with your bills and Smart Meter, yet they want you to just jump right in and take a ride on the new roller coaster they've come up with.  You know it would be one thing if you had total confidence in a utility company.  They are just making themselves more of a monopoly than they already are.  I notice they have no FAQ or area where ppl can ask questions.

billyjean

Quote from: rbain on October 15, 2010, 10:33:37 AM

Don't apply.

You go and apply, then report back, ok?

jfrickind

The application process is done.  Within the next week or so they will contact the potential households via email to set up a date for an engineer to come out and look at the house.  At that time they will decide which of the applicants will be given free solar panels.  This is a cooperative effort being ran through the University of Illinois.

They never addressed this in the flyer but I would assume that ComEd will just reap the rewards of the free electricity generated and not used by the homeowner during the day.  The homeowner will see a significant decrease in paying for electricity usage during the day.  The extra electricity generated and not used during the day, instead of being stored in batteries to be used at night, will go on to others and ComEd will charge them for the electricity that your house is generating.  That is what I would assume but has not been stated.  However, they could just plop those bad boys on top of your roof and take ALL of the electricity generated, leaving nothing for you.

I'm sure the winners will be given copious amounts of paperwork that completely outlines the research.

I'll be honest, I hopped on it as soon as I could.  And I'll venture to bet they had thousands of applicants.  Free solar panels.  FREE.  Combined with the U of I.  I know ComEd may not inspire confidence but come on.

JD

Diona

Quote from: time after time on October 15, 2010, 10:53:00 AM
Quote from: Diona on October 15, 2010, 07:53:11 AM

As far as I know, it's for single family homes.

That's what I figured, GOOD!!!

rbain

Quote from: billyjean on October 15, 2010, 11:19:26 AM
Quote from: rbain on October 15, 2010, 10:33:37 AM

Don't apply.

You go and apply, then report back, ok?

Didn't get a letter, but I would have jumped at the opportunity. We need to kick fossil fuels, and solar is a big part of the solution. ComEd might make a profit off it? You think they're non-profit now??? I'd rather they profit from clean energy than coal- the fuel of the 19th century...
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

dukesdad

I would have jumped at it too. I don't know how Edison can be more of a monopoly than it already is, it's a monopoly. They can do a lot of things, but they can't force you to put solar panels on your roof. I personally have no problem with Edison, our smart meter works fine, our bills haven't doubled. I'd be happy to be their "guinea pig" for something that could save me money and reduce the amount of coal they burn.

billyjean

Quote from: dukesdad on October 15, 2010, 01:01:58 PM
I would have jumped at it too. I don't know how Edison can be more of a monopoly than it already is, it's a monopoly. They can do a lot of things, but they can't force you to put solar panels on your roof. I personally have no problem with Edison, our smart meter works fine, our bills haven't doubled. I'd be happy to be their "guinea pig" for something that could save me money and reduce the amount of coal they burn.

Until something goes wrong.  Then your screwed.

OakParkSpartan

Panels will go on the roof.

They generate electricity that will be used by your home.  Excess will be fed back into the grid, essentially making your meter run backwards.  Seems to be a win for all involved.

The technology has been around for a while.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

QuoteUntil something goes wrong.  Then your screwed.

I've chosen not to live my life with that kind of attitude. When things go wrong, and they sometimes do, I work to fix it. My glass is 3/4 full, your glass is fucking broken.

time after time

Quote from: dukesdad on October 15, 2010, 01:33:44 PM

I've chosen not to live my life with that kind of attitude. When things go wrong, and they sometimes do, I work to fix it. My glass is 3/4 full, your glass is fucking broken.

Thanks dukesdad!  That was my healthy dose of laughter for the day!

billyjean

Quote from: time after time on October 15, 2010, 01:58:09 PM
Quote from: dukesdad on October 15, 2010, 01:33:44 PM

Thanks dukesdad!  That was my healthy dose of laughter for the day!

Let me know how working out problems with ComEd goes for ya ... good luck !