News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Signs & Palm Cards

Started by Ted, November 03, 2010, 05:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

When I went to vote yesterday, there were signs put right outside the polling place door (rather than 50 feet from the door, per law). The election judges did nothing.  There seem to be a new set of election judges now who don't know the rules or are lax in enforcing them.

Another story in the Life:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/topstories/x360234266/Lovero-Democratic-fliers-found-inside-polling-place 

Lovero Democratic fliers found inside polling place

By Staff reports
Suburban Life Publications
Posted Nov 02, 2010 @ 05:29 PM

Berwyn, IL — Democratic fliers with Berwyn Mayor "Robert J. Lovero Democratic Committeeman of Berwyn" picks for candidates were found inside a Berwyn polling place, right next to election judges.

Illinois law prohibits any solicitation of votes inside polling places, or within 100 feet of polling places.

The fliers were found at the 2nd precinct polling place, located at the Liberty Center.

People who identified themselves as poll watchers sat next to the election judges at the 2nd precinct, with the stack of pro-Democratic campaign fliers on the table in front of them.

There also appeared to be a problem with one of the machines, as an election judge was replacing a roll of printer paper on it.

About 180 out of 980 registered voters had voted by 4:15 p.m. at the polling place.

Men stood outside the various polling locations throughout the day handing out the same fliers found on the 2nd precinct poll watchers' table. The flier reads "Robert J. Lovero Democratic Committeeman of Berwyn" across the top of one side. Another side of the flier lists the names of recommended candidates.

At the city's first precinct on the second floor of the Citizens United Bank, only 197 out of 873 registered voters turned out by 4:30 p.m.

There also appeared to be a problem with one of the machines at that polling station.

Voter Barbara Michalek left the polling place disgruntled.

"Well, I am not happy about that," she said, unsure of whether her vote went through. She said she was reviewing her vote when a screen popped up that read "printer malfunction."

An election judge had to make a telephone call to get the machine rebooted.

"I don't know (if the vote counted) because it didn't go through the whole thing," Michalek said.

Bonster

I would have grabbed them and handed them to my alderman standing outside our polling place. 

Truthfully, any locations where this happened those judges should either trained or barred from working elections any more. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

We had a machine in 8-3 for which the touch screen was broken.  With the many pages of judges to click No for it took quite a while for just two of us to complete our votes.  Unsure if that was ever repaired before the end of the day.

NYWREB

I voted at Liberty Center and palm cards were being handed out VERY close to the front door.  Someone refrenced 50 feet  - I thought the rule was 100 feet, and if so, they were WAY too close at Liberty - and our Alderperson was there taking it all in....  but not saying a word.

Berwyn Patsy

Did you say anything to your Alderperson?     Or Ted did you question the election judges about
what you saw?     Maybe it's just me, but I would have had to know why things just didn't seem
right at the polling places.   

berwynguy

Quote from: Bonster on November 03, 2010, 12:46:35 PM
We had a machine in 8-3 for which the touch screen was broken.  With the many pages of judges to click No for it took quite a while for just two of us to complete our votes. Unsure if that was ever repaired before the end of the day.

LOL! ;D  Sounds familiar.
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 03, 2010, 01:27:00 PM
  Did you say anything to your Alderperson?     Or Ted did you question the election judges about
what you saw?   ...   

Why should I say anything to my alderman?  It's the election judge's jobs, not the alderman's.

The election judges should be doing their job.

There used to be a curmudgeony old man in previous years who would come out and yell at the palm card distributors and who would pull up the signs but they replaced all the old judges with new ones.

LOL

My polling place (Moose Lodge) was full of new people who didn't have the first clue about what was going on. They weren't going to let me take a pen five feet away to do the paper ballot! And they kept talking about how confused they were about everything. Do they not train these folks? It seemed really unprofessional. Somebody was passing out palm cards in the parking lot. I politely showed them my home made cheat sheet for the judges and said I was okay.
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

OakParkSpartan

The state's attorney's office should have been called to have these violations addressed.

Did anyone take photos?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Thor

Quote from: Ted on November 03, 2010, 09:06:08 PM
Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 03, 2010, 01:27:00 PM
what you saw?   ...   

Why should I say anything to my alderman?  It's the election judge's jobs, not the alderman's.

The election judges should be doing their job.

There used to be a curmudgeony old man in previous years who would come out and yell at the palm card distributors and who would pull up the signs but they replaced all the old judges with new ones.
This is just BP's way of saying its your fault something wrong/bad is happening in Berwyn because you did not talk to someone first before posting it on here.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

Berwyn Patsy

Why do you want to start with me today Thor?    Got a bug up your rear end??

BRoWN

You're being stalked. He doesn't seem very stable and he's carrying a hammer.  Everyone be on the lookout for this guy....

Berwyn Patsy

lol!!  Some how, I can't imagine the Thor on this board would even resemble
that one.  The BTF Thor is much smaller and less threatening.  Can't scare me.

Bonster

I want to say that's more like BP, but she doesn't need a hammer.  
offtopic

BRoWN

Ok. We're looking for this guy....

Berwyn Patsy

Really LOL!  That's him all right.  Spoiled, angry whining little guy!  If
you see him lately, call his momma, looks like he needs a good old fashion crack on
his behind.