News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

"Official" trick or treat day and time?

Started by dyta93, October 22, 2010, 08:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyta93

Does anyone know when the 'official' trick or treat day and time is for South Berwyn? 

NYWREB

dukesdad

RockabillyMillie

Wow, that's crazy early. When I was a kid we didn't go out until it was dark.

chandasz

I know. Way early. Don't get to see the lights when it's still daytime.

Sigh....

We usually get kids until 9. That's when I usually shut down to get the kids to bed....

LOL

I usually "stay open" for trick or treaters as long as we have candy and they are ringing our bell.
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Peridot 16

Thanks for the info.
I'm amazed at the money spent on Halloween decorations, I'm not talking about candy. My friend is always telling me how hard it is for her son and his family to make ends meet, but, he had money to deck out his front yard with Halloween decorations from Menards. Then, he asked her to buy costumes for "her" grandkids as a Halloween gift. Seriously, when did Halloween become a holiday? I, too, remember, when we went trick or treating after dark, no holiday, just an evening.

berwynguy

We had TONS of kids this year.  We bought only six bags thinking that would be enough for the couple of hours we were home.  They were gone in like 30-45 minutes.  We went to my mother in laws house in Brookfield which was the same.  She bought 10 bags and we ran out there as well.  Interestingly in Brookfield there were an awful lot of "trick or treaters" that were obviously to old to be out asking for candy.  A few of them weren't even in costumes and had Jewel bags full of candy.  I was going to be an asshole until I thought of my friend Larry David.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p4fMI6tvFQ
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Bonster

"We don't consider you part of the bald community, with all due respect."

LOL

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Suzy Q

Usually we have 5-20.  Tonight is was 70.  My question is,  how old is too old?  I had moms come to the house with their own bag! 

Bonster

Quote from: Suzy Q on October 31, 2010, 09:59:34 PM
Usually we have 5-20.  Tonight is was 70.  My question is,  how old is too old?  I had moms come to the house with their own bag! 

Don't give 'em anything.  I've given it to them when their kids have been too scared to come to the door, but that's about it. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

chandasz

Seriously - you refuse to give out candy to people you deem too old? Why. Who cares? Seriously. Be a good person and just hand out the f-ing candy. Yeah- it's weird when parent are trick or treating for their 3 month old-- but so what. What are you going to do with the candy you don't hand out-- return it? Just be a good hearted human- and give out the stupid candy

Sandy

We only had a few kids and no teens this year. I have a lot of candy left over. But we were at the Moose running a kids party until after 3.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Ted

I got a lot of teens and tweens who weren't even dressed up.  They were just going around collecting candy wearing jeans and a hoodie.  I would ask them what they were supposed to be dressed up as and they had no answer.

One (who was wearing a t-shirt saying she was on a high school volley ball team) said sarcastically"  "Uhhmmm... a volley ball player??"

Halloween should be for little kids, not 16 or 17 year olds.  If a teen is going to go out, at least put a costume on.

~LL~

Quote from: chandasz on November 01, 2010, 05:19:04 AM
Seriously - you refuse to give out candy to people you deem too old? Why. Who cares? Seriously. Be a good person and just hand out the f-ing candy. Yeah- it's weird when parent are trick or treating for their 3 month old-- but so what. What are you going to do with the candy you don't hand out-- return it? Just be a good hearted human- and give out the stupid candy

I also do not hand out candy to adults or the older teens who appear with a bag and no costume. Just can't bring myself to enable the all too prevalent attitude of entitlement.  No one gave me a problem about it either.  Besides, if they came with little kids- I knew they'd likely be helping themselves from the kids' bags anyway.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

tgoddess

My rule is, "If you're old enough to get a job and buy your own damned candy...you don't need to go out trick or treating.  Go out to a party with your friends and sneak beer like *I* used to do!"

:)
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

chandasz

Ahh. Civic spirit seems to be alive and well....

berwynguy

Quote from: chandasz on November 01, 2010, 05:19:04 AM

I will not be intimidated.  Even on Halloween. -Larry David

;D (see above youtube clip I linked)
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.