News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

FOOD4LESS

Started by Crunchie, October 26, 2010, 04:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diona

Yeah sad, but very true berwynguy.  It's not only Tony's that I noticed customer service going in the toilet.  It's sad, but it's the state of things these days.

Robert Pauly

Quality, service and price.  You can have two, but not all three.  Three is an impossibility.

So choose your poison.  If you want great product and service, expect to pay a higher price.  If you want great service and prices, expect to compromise on quality.  But you can't have all three.

And in this ecopnomy, in this community, if you were a retailer, which of the three would you attempt to provide?

seebee

Quote from: pkd50 on October 27, 2010, 12:03:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up.  I guess I won't be driving back to Tony's anytime soon.

I'd suggest judging by your own experience before writing them off. I won't say that others' experiences are not exactly as they describe them, but
I've had more good than bad experiences at Tony's. I have also walked out after being less than impressed by the deli wait a few times, but more often than not, it's not so bad (at the times I go.) As for asking for help, I can't comment. I do Tony's at least once a week, and I kinda know where everything is, so I check the ad, make my plan of attack, and I usually can do it in/out pretty quick.

A suggestion:
When they have the E. Wedel choc bars on sale for 69c each, grab a few Milk Choc ones. Eat them at room temp. You'll have a fuzzy, warm, feeling about Tony's after that.

Bonster

Quote from: seebee on October 28, 2010, 08:23:11 AM
A suggestion:
When they have the E. Wedel choc bars on sale for 69c each, grab a few Milk Choc ones. Eat them at room temp. You'll have a fuzzy, warm, feeling about Tony's after that.

Reaction to the dairy?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

seebee

Quote from: All Blocked Up on October 28, 2010, 12:03:39 PM
Quote from: seebee on October 28, 2010, 08:23:11 AM
A suggestion:

Reaction to the dairy?

LOL, no  :D
Might be the best 69c milk choc bar I've come across. They go 69c pretty regularly too.

pkd50

You're right Seebee.  I won't write them off yet, but you seem to be the only one who hasn't blasted Tony's.  Thanks for the tip on the chocolate bar.  Is it found in the candy aisle or at the check out?

Tuttles

I think customer service is an issue many places nowadays.  I lived in Chicago and shopped primarily at the Jewel located at the intersection of Kedzie, Addison, & Elston for about 8 or 9 years, with the occasional trip to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Dominick's, and Stanleys.  The store was always clean.  Staff were always friendly & helpful.  What a shock, when I moved to Berwyn in 2005, I continued to have one bad experience after another at the Jewel in North Riverside.  The store was dirty.  Really dirty.  Worse than I remember the Wicker Park Jewel in 1995 dirty!!!  There were never any carts available, & the guy who was supposed to be collecting them in the parking lot was outside on his cell phone. I almost completely stopped  shopping at NR Jewel after I waited in a HUGE line one evening, only to get up to the cashier to discover that she was sending text messages while ringing up the groceries!!!!  Finally, 2 years ago, my health insurance changed, & I no longer had to use the Osco Pharmacy (and they were often out of the medication I needed!)  So now I RARELY set foot in Jewel. Maybe if Tony's is closed or I really need something from Osco. THat's about it.  I will say that Jewel sure is a whole lot cleaner now that Tony's is open & a lot less crowded.  Also, there's never a line at the deli, but their deli prices are at least twice that of Tony's.  Their produce is high too. 

I have had pretty good luck with customer service at Tony's.  I think the place is incredibly busy & considering that, I think they keep it fairly clean & fairly well stocked.  I have figured out the art of taking a deli number, shopping for my produce or other stuff, and making it back on time.  I have no complaints about cashiers having to do the bagging, just that they give out waaaay too many plastic bags. I either bring my own bags or ask for paper.  They must be on strict order to really fill up paper bags though-b/c I never leave with a ton of paper bags.  I am a stay at home mom, though, so that does allow me to shop at times that tend to be less busy.  Would I like to shop somewhere cleaner & nicer all the time, sure-but for now Tony's is where I do the bulk of my shopping.  I would be thrilled to have another good grocery shopping option.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I have to agree with Tuttles that the Jewel in NR is dirty.  I shop mainly at the Jewel in Stickney and the difference between the two in terms of cleanliness is night and day.  My only beef with the Jewel in Stickney is that they seem to be having fewer and fewer lanes open with cashiers - it's almost like they're trying to push everyone to use the self-checkout lanes which is aggravating me too.  If I want to bag my own groceries I'll head to Aldi's.  I'm paying somewhat of a premium to shop at Jewel (even though I'm a big sale shopper) and want them to have lanes open with a cashier and bagger.  These are the things that lose businesses customers.

Berwyn Patsy

The self check out lines are just another way to save a buck.  Less employees,
but is that savings being passed on to the customer?
    I notice the same in stores like Lowe's, and etc. I rarely use this kind of checkout
service.  I miss the friendly helpful employee!   Things just aren't the same anymore!

seebee

Quote from: pkd50 on October 28, 2010, 05:45:18 PM
You're right Seebee.  I won't write them off yet, but you seem to be the only one who hasn't blasted Tony's.  Thanks for the tip on the chocolate bar.  Is it found in the candy aisle or at the check out?

The E. Wedel selection is in one of the International Aisles near the north side of the aisle (lol I KNOW Tony's!) If I remember correctly,
it's the same aisle as the Mexican soda, but on the other side on the far end, across from all of the international cookies.
One more thing I'm digging on about Tony's - their international stuff. Shan masalas, Walkerswood Jerk Paste (2 bux less than at Ultra, BTW,) multiple basmati brands, 3 kinds of fish sauce, paratha, Chinese buns, and their frozen organic selection grows almost every time I'm there.

I usually go on Tuesdays or Thursdays after work (5 pm-ish) I know the lines at the deli can be challenging sometimes, but grab the number, go shop, and come back. I won't say that I've never left without gettin a deli item that I would have liked because the wait was too long, but that has only happened a few times. I really like Tony's, but I do shop at the Jewel in Stickney, Berwyn Fruit Market, Justice, Tonini's, and Familia as well. Hell, I get out to the Shop & Save on Archer once in a while too. Petes Produce too. My usual suspects I find at great prices at each:
Tony's:
Lunch meats, although really only Sara Lee Turkey, Tony's housemade Roast Beef, once in a while mortadell, or prozhoot
italian bread
Polish Rye
B/s chicken thighs
steaks / beef (gotta be careful of grades, but hopefully u know that
frozen ravioli
those E. Wedel Milk choc bars have me hooked
Walkerswood Jerk paste
pasta
olive oil
PRODUCE!!!
======
Jewel:
cereal

Justice:
produce, and SOME meats
Roasted Chickens
LOVE their chicken fajita mix in the deli

Familia:
Produce and some meats (usually only chicken leg quarters)

BFM:
Roasted Chickens
carnitas
Produce
lunch meats
Milk

Crunchie

Quote from: Tuttles on October 28, 2010, 11:22:32 PM
I have no complaints about cashiers having to do the bagging, just that they give out waaaay too many plastic bags.
I have noticed that also. If you buy ten item, you will get at least eight bags. ::)

Tuttles

That's really no exaggeration about 8 bags for 10 items @ Tony's.  I try to remember to bring my own or ask for paper (which I then reuse & recycle) - but perhaps I will try to remember to bring the issue to a Tony's manager.  It's really RIDICULOUS how many bags they use.

Peridot 16

I do like the bakery @ Tony's. $4.99 for a pound of cookies is an excellent price. When they have the fresh baked foccacia for $.99, I use it to make my version of a muffaleta. The deli is a pain, but, I will wait in line for the Tony's turkey breast, especially the cajun, is very good, and when the roast beef is on sale with a pint of au jus, although I do add more seasoning when I'm heating it up. Lately, I've been going to the Shop & Save on Archer & Central. Very clean store, nice and fast deli, very good produce,love the fresh baked breads, especially the rye.
Now, I'm a true blue Costco person. Yea, I pay to be a member, but, I use the monthly coupons, knowing prices, and the savings add up. Plus, today, I filled up at the gas pump for $2.75 a gallon.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Peridot 16 on November 02, 2010, 05:23:52 PM
I do like the bakery @ Tony's. $4.99 for a pound of cookies is an excellent price. When they have the fresh baked foccacia for $.99, I use it to make my version of a muffaleta. The deli is a pain, but, I will wait in line for the Tony's turkey breast, especially the cajun, is very good, and when the roast beef is on sale with a pint of au jus, although I do add more seasoning when I'm heating it up. Lately, I've been going to the Shop & Save on Archer & Central. Very clean store, nice and fast deli, very good produce,love the fresh baked breads, especially the rye.
Now, I'm a true blue Costco person. Yea, I pay to be a member, but, I use the monthly coupons, knowing prices, and the savings add up. Plus, today, I filled up at the gas pump for $2.75 a gallon.
I just received a large sale flyer from Costco today with tons of coupons in conjunction with their new store opening in Melrose Park at the old Kiddieland location.  It's opening November 17th.  Maybe I'll give it a try.

Fer

Quote from: Peridot 16 on November 02, 2010, 05:23:52 PM
I do like the bakery @ Tony's. $4.99 for a pound of cookies is an excellent price. When

I like to go to Tony's to stare at the bakery items.  They are so beautiful and drool-worthy.  And just staring at them is way better (for me, at least!) than eating them. 
"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

dukesdad

I like to go to Joe and Frank's and stare at the young Polish girl's behind the deli counter. They are also beautiful and drool-worthy.

Nazerac

Quote from: dukesdad on November 03, 2010, 11:44:44 AM
I like to go to Joe and Frank's and stare at the young Polish girl's behind the deli counter. They are also beautiful and drool-worthy.

Neither of you think that Joe and Frank's sausages are also drool worthy?

Berwyn Patsy

Funny of you to say that Bonster!   Bear used to carry on about those polish
girls and how hot they were!

Crunchie

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 03, 2010, 01:29:58 PM
     Funny of you to say that Bonster!   Bear used to carry on about those polish
girls and how hot they were!
Bonster?

buzz

Quote from: Fer on November 03, 2010, 11:40:01 AM
I like to go to Tony's to stare at the bakery items.  They are so beautiful and drool-worthy.  And just staring at them is way better (for me, at least!) than eating them. 

The Tira Misu sucks.  Looks good though.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?