News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Resident Parking Only

Started by MindoverMatter, October 19, 2010, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MindoverMatter

The Berwyn City Council voted to place "resident parking only" signs on the 1300 block of Oak Park Avenue.

The change, recommended by Ald. Nora Laureto, 8th Ward, stems from staff and parents from nearby Prairie Oak School who were parking on the street, causing residents to have trouble finding spots.

~ If parents are parking there its for a short time period during pick up and drop off.  Teachers are parked from 7:30a - 4:30p when school is in session.  Is there really a need for Resident Parking Only??  Why can't my block get resident parking only between 10p - 6am???

I Gare-rawntee

There will be dedicated pick up and drop off zones at every (at least public) school.

RockabillyMillie

Yeah?... Can you guarantee that? :P

I Gare-rawntee

Quote from: RockabillyMillie on October 22, 2010, 03:12:48 PM
Yeah?... Can you guarantee that? :P

it is being added into an ordinance so yeah

i attend those (now less loud) meetings of the city council

Bonster

Quote from: I Gare-rawntee on October 26, 2010, 06:13:30 PM
i attend those (now less loud) meetings of the city council

To further lower the collective IQ in the room? 

There are already pick up and drop off zones at Prairie Oak.  The problem for some (not me) is less with the parents of students than the teachers who park there all day (not that I would expect someone who supposedly attends council meetings to get that).

Me, I like seeing the young hot mothers parking and picking their kids up. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Sandy

So where are teachers supposed to park?

What guarantees you the ability to park on a public street, in front of your house or not?

Until I get the money to replace my garage, I realize that parking anywhere on my block is not guaranteed. There are nights when I can park within 3 - 4 houses, and other nights when I have to park a block away. I just deal with it. Why can't others?
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Bonster

Quote from: Sandy on October 27, 2010, 01:33:23 PM
What guarantees you the ability to park on a public street, in front of your house or not?

The fact that my block has more single family properties than multi-flats pretty much guarantees that. ;)

Bonster

Can't remember.  Alderman has told me but it always flies over my head as it's a non-issue to me.

Terri

Quote from: All Blocked Up on October 27, 2010, 01:46:23 PM

Can't remember.  Alderman has told me but it always flies over my head as it's a non-issue to me.
I believe the angled parking spaces north of SMC is teacher parking, unless something has changed. 

MindoverMatter

[/quote]
I believe the angled parking spaces north of SMC is teacher parking, unless something has changed. 
[/quote]

There are about 10-15 parking spaces, which are not enough.

Bonster

Quote from: MindoverMatter on October 19, 2010, 11:50:57 AM
~ If parents are parking there its for a short time period during pick up and drop off. 
Quote from: I Like-warmpee on October 22, 2010, 12:41:03 PM
There will be dedicated pick up and drop off zones at every (at least public) school.

To clarify, this does not prohibit parents from parking there to pick up their kids.  Residents only means all Berwyn residents, not just those who live on the block.

billyjean

Quote from: All Blocked Up on October 28, 2010, 12:10:43 PM
Quote from: MindoverMatter on October 19, 2010, 11:50:57 AM
~ If parents are parking there its for a short time period during pick up and drop off. 
Quote from: I Like-warmpee on October 22, 2010, 12:41:03 PM

To clarify, this does not prohibit parents from parking there to pick up their kids.  Residents only means all Berwyn residents, not just those who live on the block.

Good clarification there Bon.  It is a bit deceiving, cause you just might think to yourself ... well, this parking is for ppl that live in this exact area.

Vic0218

This is one of the more confusing threads I've read here.

So, they are putting up signs to limit parking to Berwyn residents only for a single block. Because residents living on the block are having issues with other Berwyn residents taking up spaces during drop-off/pick-up time? So the residents complaining must be the ones living across the street from the school, right?

So a handful of residents are having an issue finding parking during a very small window of time in the morning and afternoon. And this is a significant enough problem to take up city time & resources? Especially when the proposed solution (Resident Parking Only signs) does nothing to address the problem, as stated earlier in the thread.

What am I missing?

"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong

Bonster

Quote from: Vic0218 on October 28, 2010, 02:26:03 PM
Because residents living on the block are having issues with other Berwyn residents taking up spaces during drop-off/pick-up time?

No.

Quote from: Vic0218 on October 28, 2010, 02:26:03 PM
What am I missing?
The residents are fine.  It's the NON-residents who aren't.

And the window is not small, it's 9+ hours.

Bonster

It's also not limited to those using the school (think: Blue line, Green line, Metra).

Vic0218

But just for the 1300 block? Isn't the bigger issue a whole stretch of blocks in that area?

I'm just jumping on the earlier post that pulled in parents picking up their kids  :)
"Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened" - Cora Harvey Armstrong