News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

City Council 11/9

Started by NYWREB, November 08, 2010, 10:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Regarding the placement of the new commercial zone where medical clinics may be located I found it coincidental that my pediatrician which is located in the building where they were going to put in the methadone clinic on Grove before just sent me a notice that they are moving to North Riverside on Cermak.  I'm sure it's been in the works for awhile but perhaps they heard that the city was going to allow this and decided to move before they heard where the new zone for this would be.  Another vacant spot to fill in the DD.

Terri

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on November 08, 2010, 03:57:20 PM
Regarding the placement of the new commercial zone where medical clinics may be located I found it coincidental that my pediatrician which is located in the building where they were going to put in the methadone clinic on Grove before just sent me a notice that are moving to North Riverside on Cermak.  I'm sure it's been in the works for awhile but perhaps they heard that the city was going to allow this and decided to move before they heard where the new zone for this would be.  Another vacant spot to fill in the DD.
We have the same pediatrician. They're not the only offices in that building relocating.

The Jackal

They sent the notice out last week.

In any event, I'm still puzzled as to why a Berwyn resident would have to make a claim aginst his/her policy for a service that theoretically has already been paid for via property taxes?

I also find the timing quite odd, as the infamous Quarter Pounder increase happened not too long ago? Where are those surplus tax monies going to? Maybe there's a logical explanation for all this, but I find this a tough sell given the current climate...

Berwyn Patsy

Terri and Mrs. N.  FGM pediatrics has been looking to relocate for the last 5 years.
Way before the Methodone Clinic madness came about.  They most definitely are in need
of a larger facility, they have grown considerably in the last few years.  So, I don't think
it's because of a fear of anything.  See how rumors start?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 08, 2010, 04:54:50 PM
     Terri and Mrs. N.  FGM pediatrics has been looking to relocate for the last 5 years.
Way before the Methodone Clinic madness came about.  They most definitely are in need
of a larger facility, they have grown considerably in the last few years.  So, I don't think
it's because of a fear of anything.  See how rumors start?
BP - I'm not trying to start any rumors.  I'm stating fact and the fact that they are relocating when the city has announced plans to have a medical district where methadone clinics can open may be just coincidental.  But don't tell me they haven't been able to find a suitable spot to relocate to in the past 5 years if they've really been intent on moving.  I'm sure the whole methadone clinic incident put their search from perhaps the back burner to the red-hot front burner.  I know I saw my son's pediatrician at the rally opposing the clinic and he spoke openly against its existence in the same building where parents would be bringing their children into.  That's common sense in my book and I would think in your book too.

Berwyn Patsy

The fact is Mrs. N. FGM is not relocating because the city has announced plans
for a medical district.
      I know that practice well and the Doctors who own it well.  Trust me on this one.

Homebody

Here is an interesting article that explains "Crash Taxes". I have not received any information explaining why we must consider Crash Taxes here in Berwyn. I expect that the fees are necessary because the BFD is woefully over budget. You can disregard charging fees to non-residents for fires and water rescues, etc. Berwyn participates in the Mutual Aid plan. The BFD assists Oak Park, Lyons, Riverside, Cicero fire department. They help us. The whole idea of Mutual Aid agreements would go out the door if we started handing out bills for assisting.http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/crash-taxes-add-hefty-fees-for-aid.aspx

Notice in the article that determining who is at fault is a problem. The department discussed in the article decided to bill the driver with insurance. Collection is also a problem as many policies do not pay for the services.

IMHO, the budget problem was aggravated when the 7 Aldermen passed the union plan to bring Emergency Services back in-house after 20 years of hiring EMTs from a service. When the plan is fully implemented, Berwyn will have hired 12 additional employees to staff the ambulances. We are now paying for training, equipment, workers' comp, malpractice insurance, salaries, overtime, pensions, vacations and Kelly Days, etc. at a time when the City and its residents can least afford it.
Marge

The Jackal

Funny how our pediatrician didn't tell US they were looking to move the last 5 years we've been with them.

Berwyn Patsy

Just goes to show you Mr. JACK OF ALL TRADES, guess you don't know
everything!

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 08, 2010, 05:38:49 PM
    Just goes to show you Mr. JACK OF ALL TRADES, guess you don't know
everything!
BP - When it comes to former Berwynites meddling in current city affairs, that's the pot calling the kettle black. 

Homebody

Here is another article this time from the Chicago Trib. The dear that crashed into the car must have been deemed a resident because the driver received the bill and the shaft. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-02/business/ct-biz-0302-problem-locklin-20100302_1_billing-ambulance-services-emergency

Berwyn Patsy

Mrs.N., just because I happen to know something that's a fact and you don't, you
resort to the "former berwynites" and call it meddling.  Call it what you want, you won't
stop it.  That's the funny part!

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 08, 2010, 06:55:53 PM
     Mrs.N., just because I happen to know something that's a fact and you don't, you
resort to the "former berwynites" and call it meddling.  Call it what you want, you won't
stop it.  That's the funny part!
BP - call it what YOU want.  Since you don't live here, well that's what I base the "former Berwynite" designation on.  I know you still consider yourself a part of all that is well and good here. 

buzz

Quote from: Homebody on November 08, 2010, 05:14:23 PM
IMHO, the budget problem was aggravated when the 7 Aldermen passed the union plan to bring Emergency Services back in-house after 20 years of hiring EMTs from a service. When the plan is fully implemented, Berwyn will have hired 12 additional employees to staff the ambulances. We are now paying for training, equipment, workers' comp, malpractice insurance, salaries, overtime, pensions, vacations and Kelly Days, etc. at a time when the City and its residents can least afford it.
Marge
Yep.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

buzz

Quote from: The Jackal on November 08, 2010, 04:39:18 PM
Where are those surplus tax monies going to ?  Maybe there's a logical explanation for all this, but I find this a tough sell given the current climate...
Lovero doesn't have to sell it to anyone.  They'll vote as they are told, well except for 1 holdout.
Would be nice if those $$$$$ went to paying off the enormous pension debt.  That won't happen.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

You people need to wake up and put some people into office that are not out to screw you over every chance they get.

Property taxes up 15%, fees increased, charging for emergency services...and no significant cuts made.  Hell, we HIRED people.  Just wait till the workman's comp gravy train starts up with the new paramedics.  Nice way to get an extra 30-40k out of the city.

The BFD is over budget.  Why are they not being held accountable?  This administration is all about rewarding their pals.

Go out to the Better Government Association website http://www.bettergov.org/watchdog/payroll_database.aspx  and start looking at the earnings out there.

Oh, those people are getting more than a 5% salary increase slipped in at the end of 2010 and Jan 1 of 2011.  Are you getting a salary increase?

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: Bonster on November 08, 2010, 02:57:37 PM

That said, we (Berwyn residents) are NOT being billed.  Our taxes are our "dues" for fire and police services.

I was hit by a drunk driver in 2001 on 39th and Ridgeland. My car was on the Stickney side and the drunk's car was on the Berwyn side. The drunk crossed over the yellow line and hit my car in a head on collision, pushing my car back a whole block before he stopped.

I believe it was a Berywn ambulance that took me to MacNeil and I was later charged for it. I received the bill directly from the ambulance company and paid it myself and then submitted the bill to the drunk's insurance company as part of the proof for the settlement.

So, I do think the city has been charging for ambulance services for some time.   I am not sure if I was sent a bill because my car was on the Stickney side but I am (and was) a Berwyn resident and I was still billed for the ambulance.

Ted

psychomom

We have had to use Berwyn's ambulances a couple of times over the years, and we have always been charged.  Fortunately the insurance has covered most of it.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

pkd50

I always paid for my husband's ambulance calls, or I should say BC paid.  Each time he went to MacNeal I would have him transferred to Rush after being stabilized in the ER.  Superior charged twice as much.  BC didn't want to pay them.  The team at Rush wrote BC saying that   this community hospital couldn't treat transplant patients effectively.  They paid.  All of my experiences started in '95, so charging isn't something new.