News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

First Baptist Church

Started by Sandy, November 17, 2010, 07:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Meet our new Intrim Pastor and come Join us for Thanksgiving Service on this Sunday, November 21, 2010.
First Baptist Church of Berwyn 6916 W. 34th Street Berwyn, IL 60402
Pastor Jones' Sermon: "Thanking God for All"
1 Thessalonians 5:18 "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Sandy

NEWS FROM ABCMC CONGREGATIONS
Interim Pastor of FBC of Berwyn in Faculty/Mentor Spotlight, United Theological Seminary
Damon R. Jones, D.Min. '08
Pastor, First Baptist Church of Berwyn, Berwyn, IL; Rehabilitation Counselor, State of Illinois Department of Human Services, Joliet, IL; Adjunct Professor, College of Arts and Sciences, Aurora University, Aurora, IL; Adjunct Professor, Moraine Valley Community College, Palos Hill, IL; Faculty Mentor United Theological Seminary
What is your ministry context?
Currently, my ministry context is all that I do. I pastor a multi-ethnic/multi-cultural intergenerational congregation in Berwyn, IL a western suburb of Chicago. The church was birthed in 1894 and is 110 years old and was formed 16 years prior to the founding of Berwyn. We are mission oriented and provide many opportunities to countries around the globe through Heifer International and locally through the Night Ministry—a homeless ministry.
I also consider my ministry context the work I do as a Rehabilitation Counselor through the State of Illinois Dept. of Human Services, Division of Rehabilitation providing much needed services to medically disabled, mentally ill, and/or elderly individuals through the Home Services Program. Illinois is one of four states that have been providing this service since 1980.
Furthermore, my work as an educator at Aurora University teaching Ethics and Problems of Philosophy, Moraine Valley Community College teaching Humanities, and as a faculty mentor at United are considered ministry areas as well. I consider myself to be following in the footsteps of Jesus and many others who had a tri-vocational ministry that encompassed the church, community, and academy.
For the entire article go to http://www.united.edu/United-Spotlight/Faculty-Spotlight/menu-id-274.html.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy