News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Dirty, Filthy MacNeal

Started by nativeson, August 11, 2010, 09:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkd50

I was a kid.  I never addressed him.  I would say hi when I saw him.  As far as part of the community, he sure was. His shop was on Halsted, and he lived upstairs.  He must have been Catholic, because I'd see him at Mass at St John's.  I'd see him and his wife at different shops in the neighborhood.  I know he drank at McDonald's with my Dad.  I just can't remember his name.  I'm not even sure if I ever knew it. 

Bonster

Quote from: berwynson on February 16, 2013, 09:21:47 PM
Quote from: markberwyn on February 16, 2013, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: pkd50 on February 16, 2013, 03:00:45 PM
I'm telling you.  When I grew up, things weren't as PC.  I never intentionally hurt anybody by calling them names.  The guy who owned the neighborhood laundry was a very nice man, part of our community, and that's what we called him.  Today I wouldn't, but it was not done with malice even back then.

How much a part of your community could he have been if you called him "Chinaman" instead of his name?

Have you ever listened to black guys talk amongst themselves, when your presence was either undetected, or ignored?

berwynson

You're black, berwynson?

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

markberwyn

Quote from: berwynson on February 16, 2013, 09:21:47 PM
Quote from: markberwyn on February 16, 2013, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: pkd50 on February 16, 2013, 03:00:45 PM
I'm telling you.  When I grew up, things weren't as PC.  I never intentionally hurt anybody by calling them names.  The guy who owned the neighborhood laundry was a very nice man, part of our community, and that's what we called him.  Today I wouldn't, but it was not done with malice even back then.

How much a part of your community could he have been if you called him "Chinaman" instead of his name?

Have you ever listened to black guys talk amongst themselves, when your presence was either undetected, or ignored?

What's your point? That because some blacks use the n-word among themselves, you ought to be able to use the word "Chinaman"?

Regardless, I'm sorry you've felt ignored by blacks. Clearly they should have been paying attention to you.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes