News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Electronic Parts store?

Started by scungili, November 18, 2010, 07:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scungili

Anybody know a place around here to buy switches - pots - resistors - etc etc ?

Radio Shack carries more phone & gadget stock than electronic parts these days and I know there's Fry's in Downers, but I'm wondering if there's still a small Electronic Repair/Supply shop in this Berwyn-Cicero-OP-Stickney area where I could buy a few things.

Thanks!

HKay

Start calling: http://bit.ly/b6U2Gr If Newark has it local you can do a will call. PM Me with what you are looking for. I might have some of it on hand.

Phil

Anyone remember BB&W Electronics? I think they were around Cermak and Oak Park?  They were a great electronics part store. My favorite was Spectronics in Oak Park. It was a Ham Radio/ Shortwave Radio Shop. I would spend hours in there. Sadly both closed in the mid 80's.  :'( :'( :'(

You might want to also try this place. http://www.mdmradio.com. They had a shop on Roosevelt Rd around Harlem  a few years ago.

dualref

Yes, I remember BB&W electronics. I think they were on Euclid, one/quarter block north of Cermak.  I don't know how they crammed in all the stuff they had in that little building. I used to buy radio parts there and when my parents got their first color TV we bought a Winegard antenna from BB&W.

I looked the place up on Google maps earlier and it looks like the building it was in is gone. They now have parking behind the shops on Cermak like they do in Cicero. It looks like a few apt buildings were demolished while creating this parking strip.  What year was that done?

OakParkSpartan

That strip (the Vacin Fairway) is where the old El used to run.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dualref

The CTA "L" train stopped at 54th in Cicero. I don't believe it ever went as far as Berwyn.

dualref

The CTA "L" train stopped at 54th in Cicero. I don't believe it ever went as far as Berwyn.

dukesdad

berwyn senator

When I was a kid the tracks remained along with the brick streets,I don't believe they removed anything just paved over the brick and tracks. That area became very controversial maybe 60's when I believe the government was looking for land to build low income housing in Berwyn and Cicero.The Towns purchased the properties  resulting in what is there today,I really don't recall all the specifics.

berwynson

Quote from: dukesdad on February 13, 2013, 02:07:11 PM
The "el" ran to Oak Park Ave.

This is true. When I was very small, our street (Harvey), had a shack at the El track crossing, and an old guy watched over the pedestrians.  I don't recall gates, but there surely had to be some there. A station stop was still located on Lombard then. This was maybe when I was 4 or 5; within a few years, the route was terminated at, I think, Laramie. We had to take a bus there to get on the El to go downtown.

The "third rail" was obviously visible at all the crossings, it stopped perhaps 30 or 40 feet short of the crossing sidewalk. I never heard of any kid or adult injured or killed by the third rail, though I knew for sure it was a lethal encounter for living things to touch it! Some had seen dogs killed by it. Our neighbor, Mrs. Conrad, had a brother who lived with them, worked for the El, conductor, I think, was killed when he fell off a platfporm, or car, onto the third rail. I believe they used 600 Volts D.C. In winter, icy or wet conditions caused lots of brilliant sparks as the contact "shoes" ran over them, a display certain to get a kid's attention!   berwynson

berwyn senator

Which were the tracks that ran into Riverside along Desplains Ave. to Woodside?