News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

New tax increase for 20111

Started by Homebody, November 20, 2010, 05:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

Bonster,

Your idea of fiscal prudence is to ADD long term debt? Or are you excusing THIS added "fat" and saying no more?

IMO, once you say "I can't cut cops, firemen, etc...." you're entering a vicious cycle.

Bonster

No.  You read (into) that wrong.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

Well then read it to me the right way.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster - on December 02, 2010, 12:35:35 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 02, 2010, 12:15:12 PM
Quote from: Bonster - on December 02, 2010, 11:48:21 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on December 02, 2010, 08:02:22 AM
Quote from: buzz on December 02, 2010, 06:23:15 AM
Quote from: Ted on December 02, 2010, 05:55:27 AM

The measure wouldn't take effect until 2015, however, which would give the city four years to negotiate higher contributions from employees or seek benefit cuts. That would lower the amount of additional tax money needed. The city could also cut city services to pay the bill, rather than increase taxes.

Berwyn needs both higher contributions and benefit cuts!

We also need a reduction in headcount which will stop increased obligations immediately.

No.  Having been there before and always faced with being a victim of "reduction in headcount" I don't like to see people losing their jobs due to mismanagement of funds.  To me the problem is with increasing headcount.  We still haven't seen the study proving bringing bambulance services in-house will save us $$ in the long run.  If we're going to increase headcount I'd rather spend that money on more cops (sorry Felix lol).

We're spending more than we take in.  We make up that deficit by issuing bonds to be paid off over the next decade for current expenses.

The largest item is personnel.  You cannot say with a straight face that there is NO employee that can be laid off.  Sorry, but I cannot believe for a second that this city runs efficiently given what I have seen over the last 7 years.

Look around.  Other cities are laying people off...we are hiring.  We just borrowed $10 MILLION dollars.  What is wrong with that picture?

What is wrong with that picture?  Your 3rd to last sentence.  I am differentiating between existing personnel and adding new fat.  And yes, I can say cops should be laid off with a straight face. 

Just because "other cities are laying people off" is no justification for me.  Those are obviously not good examples of fiscal prudence.  That's like stating "xxx just filed bankruptcy and no longer has debt.  He must know what he's doing and I should follow suit."  I think the cities laying off cops are making a big mistake in this economy.

I didn't say cops.  You did.

But bringing all the ambulance stuff in house, without an independent analysis is just flat out stupid.

Justification?  Maybe they are behaving in a more fiscally responsible manner.  That is justification for me.

Again, read what I said about issuing $10 MILLION in debt to finance our spending.  The budget is out of whack and we are paying for short term expenses with long term debt.  That makes zero sense.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: Bonster - on December 02, 2010, 11:48:21 AM
...  To me the problem is with increasing headcount.  We still haven't seen the study proving bringing bambulance services in-house will save us $$ in the long run.... 

It's not just increasing headcount.  It's increasing salaries by 5% rather than freezing salaries.

The 15% tax increase would have been more palatable if there had been a salary freeze or even salary reductions.

Rizzo

Quote from: Mike Phelan on November 20, 2010, 07:29:05 PM
Your city is a sinking ship.  You should rename it Titanic.  Your county and state are a disaster as well.

As an Alderman what did you do to plug any leaks?

Mike Phelan

What did I do?  I only tried over and over again to cut unnecessary spending.  I voted against all four budgets that were passed because there was lots of fat to cut out.  I was outvoted.  I tried to eliminate O'Connor's patronage hires over and over again.  The city is surviving fine without them.  I voted against the Anderson Ford loan.  That's right, the loan that was two risky for Citizens Bank unless the city guaranteed the loan but the majority of your city council, including your current mayor thought was okay to place your tax dollars at risk.  If it was too risky for the bank, anyone with half a brain had to know it was probably not a good deal.  How did that work out for you?  I voted against Drain Street.  How much money has been wasted to date?  I thought Dario was going to revitalize Cermak Road.  You have a bunch of bufoons running your city who don't know a thing about business.  I could go on but I don't think I need to.

Rizzo

Quote from: Mike Phelan on December 07, 2010, 06:37:32 PM
What did I do?  I only tried over and over again to cut unnecessary spending.  I voted against all four budgets that were passed because there was lots of fat to cut out.  I was outvoted.  I tried to eliminate O'Connor's patronage hires over and over again.  The city is surviving fine without them.  I voted against the Anderson Ford loan.  That's right, the loan that was two risky for Citizens Bank unless the city guaranteed the loan but the majority of your city council, including your current mayor thought was okay to place your tax dollars at risk.  If it was too risky for the bank, anyone with half a brain had to know it was probably not a good deal.  How did that work out for you?  I voted against Drain Street.  How much money has been wasted to date?  I thought Dario was going to revitalize Cermak Road.  You have a bunch of bufoons running your city who don't know a thing about business.  I could go on but I don't think I need to.

Wow, you were a real change master.  Why did you not win reelection?  A business expert like youself certainly deserved another term.  Too bad that your persuasive oratory skills were unable to sway a few more Aldermen to vote your way. 
I note that you use the term "your city" so, have you left the city?
Please reveal some examples of "lots of fat to cut".  "Drain street", that's funny.  Hey, how's that property on 16th and Ridgeland  doing?   
Hey, did O' Connor serve on the board of Citizens Bank?

Homebody

Please remember to attend the public hearing on the 2010 tax increase. The hearing is this Tuesday at 5:45 p.m. at City Hall. City Clerk Tom Pavlik asks that if your wish to speak at the hearing, then please call his office (708) 788-2660 to sign up. This is to allocate time. Your attendance at public hearings and City Council meetings does make a difference. Please come out and voice your opinion. Marge Paul

Mike Phelan

Rizzo,

What do you mean by a real change master?  Why did I not win re-election?  I'm not sure but part of it was I really didn't have it in me anymore.  Also, I was outspent by both the dems and IVB by at least 10 to 1.  But at the end of the day it really doesn't matter because it's ancient history.  What really amazes me is how stupid the Berwyn voters are as a whole.  Berwyn residents deserve exactly what they get.  Do any of you realize that you all talk about the same silly crap that you did four years ago.  Nothing changes and it never will.
I have left Berwyn.  I'm living in Amarillo, Texas.  Texas has no state income tax and Amarillo's cost of living is about 25% less than Chicago.  Home's are much more affordable and property taxes are ridiculously low compared to cook county.  Unemployment is only about 5% here, there are no taxes on groceries and the sales tax on other items is only 8%.  I just wish I didn't own any property in Berwyn or Cook County anymore.
I really don't want to get into what I thought should have been cut from the budget because like I say, it's ancient history.
How's the property on 16th and Ridgeland?  Last I heard it was still foreclosed on and the bank was asking $450,000.  I'm not sure about O'Connor and Citizen's Bank although I can tell you he is one of the dirtiest pieces of garbage I have yet to meet in my 41 years on this planet.  I don't give much thought to him though.  He will get what he deserves in the end.  Call it what you want, karma or whatever.  I know God has a way of sorting it all out.

baron von berwyn

so we all show up to the meeting.... we all piss and moan about the tax increase.....and at the end of the day we will still be ignored and the tax increase will go through despite what the people want.... because it's all about lovero and what lovero and his cronies want....you voted for these creeps..... and now you are screwed.

Berwyn Patsy

Regardless of the out come at the "end of the day", wouldn't you feel better actually
getting it off your chest in person to that guy you refer to as "it's all about Lovero" opposed
to pissing and moaning about it here?

baron von berwyn

why??  so i can "get it off my chest" and then feel lousy knowing it will probably do no good?.... no thanks- you can go waste your time for both of us. what i have to say to lovero i can say anytime i see him.  - I know what bar he hangs out in....

buzz

Quote from: Mike Phelan on December 09, 2010, 10:16:56 PM
  But at the end of the day it really doesn't matter because it's ancient history.
Yes it is but, people are still fighting the last war.
Instead of focusing on the future everyone's moaning about the past.  I'll show up at council.  Will it do any good ?
I think the baron's last few posts correctly reflects the sentiment of most voters.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: baron von berwyn on December 10, 2010, 07:33:55 AM
why??  so i can "get it off my chest" and then feel lousy knowing it will probably do no good?.... no thanks- you can go waste your time for both of us. what i have to say to lovero i can say anytime i see him.  - I know what bar he hangs out in....

Do you think voters are tired of this?

Do you think they would WORK to get a good candidate elected mayor?

Do you know anyone willing to step up and run for mayor? (and not the same old tired castro/bojo alternatives)
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on December 10, 2010, 07:28:35 AM
     Regardless of the out come at the "end of the day", wouldn't you feel better actually
getting it off your chest in person to that guy you refer to as "it's all about Lovero" opposed
to pissing and moaning about it here?

Where would that get him?  I think we know the answer to that.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Rizzo

Mike Phelan:

Thanks for the update.  First off, best wishes and success in your new community. (Amarillo Texas)  Took the liberty of looking at some Amarillo homes.  They seem very nice and some are quite upscale.  Do you own a horse? How about a pickup truck?  Are you wearing cowboy boots?

Take a minute from your busy day and google "Change Masters" you will discover what it means.  The term is not at all snarky.  

You have left all the old history behind?  Why be bitter?  Eventually you will sell off you properties in Illinois, right.  The economy will improve and all the while you will be enjoying your new digs in Texas.

Let's not downgrade Illinois and Berwyn too much, you did after all make a part of your wealth here, right?

buzz

Quote from: Homebody on December 09, 2010, 04:20:31 PM
Please remember to attend the public hearing on the 2010 tax increase. The hearing is this Tuesday at 5:45 p.m. at City Hall.
I'd bet a quarter they're going to spring another big (more than 4.9%) increase on homeowners.
Has anyone contacted their alderman and voiced disapproval ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

baron von berwyn

correct me if i am wrong (not sure where i heard this) but isn't a rule that if the increase is 5% or under they are not required by law to call a public hearing but if it's more than than that, then they do ?..... If this is true, brace yourself for a big one....if they are having a hearing it must be because they have more than 4.9% in store for us.

Ted

Quote from: baron von berwyn on December 10, 2010, 10:38:32 PM
... isn't a rule that if the increase is 5% or under they are not required by law to call a public hearing but if it's more than than that, then they do ?..... /quote]

That is a true statement.  If a proposed increase in the tax levy is less than 5%, then a public hearing is not needed.

That's why you see so many taxing bodies (e.g. the school districts or the township) always proposing increases in the tax levy of 4.9%.