News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Property tax increase

Started by Ted, December 15, 2010, 05:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarter Pounder

Do our alderman still get health insurance? That was quite the discussion here in the past.
If so, which aldermen take this benefit? Are they also allowed to place additional insured
on this policy? What is the actual cost to the taxpayers?

Bonster

If the last increase was a Quarter Pounder with a medium Coke, what's this one - large fries?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Bonster

Bonster

found it
Quote from: Tèéd on December 15, 2010, 06:39:17 AM
+ One next woman who spoke said said she had moved to Berwyn in 1982 and her taxes had increased from $500 to $4,000. She said she had not had a salary increase in 2 years and that "enough is enough"

+ The next gentleman who spoke said that the mayor, aldermen and city employees should "key in mind" that they work for the tax payers, not the other way around. He also complained about the fact that the city did not do salary freezes or considered layoffs. He said raising taxes should be a last resort. He also spoke about the new Illinois law on pensions and asked if the city had considered the affect of the new law.  No one responded to his question about the new Illinois law on pension funding. He ended by saying most of the aldermen were a "rubber stamp" for the mayor.

+ One woman who moved here in 1963 stated that the monthly amount of the tax increase was about the cost of a large fry at McDonald's.  She then ranted about The OC, stating it never should have been taken off the air.  Lovero responded that one administration could not be blamed and Nona Chapman stated during the city council portion of the meeting that they have been canceling popular shows for 20 years.

+ The next speaker complained about  a lack of communication about the tax levy and the budget. He said that there was too little information and that the process was broken. He said the city should use its home rule power to make the budget and tax levy process a 60 to 90 day process so that people are better informed.

Ted

mustang54

Quote from: Ted on December 15, 2010, 06:06:52 PM
Quote from: Fer on December 15, 2010, 02:56:10 PM
...  As an employee of UIC (essentially, the State of Illinois), I had no raise of any kind for at least two years, and everyone there had to take furlough days.  It wasn't pretty, and morale was (and is) low, but everyone who is not working in the private sector has to make sacrifices of some kind.   Why not City of Berwyn employees?  The answer is to raise my taxes?  I think not...

Just my two cents...

Even people in the private sector are suffering from what happened to the economy - layoffs, salary freezes and salary reductions. It isn't something specific to the public sector.

The private sector has suffered the most. By far.

Homebody

Quote from: Quarter Pounder on December 15, 2010, 06:43:17 PM
Do our alderman still get health insurance? That was quite the discussion here in the past.
If so, which aldermen take this benefit? Are they also allowed to place additional insured

I recently asked to be enrolled in the group insurance offered to Aldermen by the City. My partner was permanently laid off in November. I was on her insurance as her domestic partner for at least 10+ years. She can take COBRA. However, I am not allowed to be included in on that program. Our relationship is not recognized under COBRA.

Neither is it recognized by the City of Berwyn. Aldermen are allowed to have family coverage. However, when I asked to have my partner placed on the the policy, I was told there was no domestic partner coverage. Seems the City never thought it important to include it for employees(eventhough I was told that other employees had requested coverage for their partners).

I have been told that domestic partner coverage will be considered for Berwyn employees by spring when the insuramce contract is renewed. My partner and I are hoping that our employment situations will improve and we won't need it by then. All the union contracts say that the City will not discriminate due to sexual orientation. Guess no one ever went to the union steward to complain about the unequal treatment.

To my knowledge, there are other Aldermen receiving the benefit. I don't know the actual cost to the tax payer. How ever, once the budget is relased tht information will be precisely available due to the new accounting software system the City is using to track that line item. Marge Paul

Berwyn Patsy

Offering Health Insurance to part time Alderpeople, was a controversial subject
awhile back, and I would think should still be.
     The actual cost to the taxpayer, I believe used to be all of the cost of that
benefit, as it was with every other city employee that received free Health Ins.  This
"perk", in my opinion was wrong then, and definitely should be considered a financially
irresponsible act now.   There should be no cost to the taxpayer to pay for anyones
free health ins.  Just my humble opinion.

Berwyn Patsy

After reading your post Marge, I was wondering, because I don't like to
assume anything,  do you support health Insurance coverage for the part-time
Alderpeople regardless of the cost to the tax payers?
Actually and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought some where in your posts right
here on this board, you had said if elected Alderwoman you would not accept the health
Insurance? Sorry, I guess I am just a little surprised.

Homebody

I am surprised too. I am grateful to be able to have the insurance at this time. I did make statements that I would not take the insurance. Don't know if I made them on BTF or at ABC or at someone's door. Don't know if I made any statements advocating for eliminating the benefit all together.

After being sworn in I did not elect to take the insurance. I didn't need it. I had to eat my words. It has really been hard.

It was easier for me to make the statement back then, I had coverage and thought that would not change while I was Alderman. I have been unemployed for a while. Now we both are. The scramble is on to find employment like so many of my neighbors.

We pay 10% for the coverage. I would pay a lot more to be able to enroll in some health insurance plan with a lot less coverage and a higher deductable. Do I support health insurance for Aldemen regardless of the cost to the tax payer? No. Marge

Bonster

Not sure about anywhere else, but you certainly made them here.  You are lucky to have access to this benefit.

I am surprised we don't have provisions for domestic partners.

OakParkSpartan

Does the city have an open enrollment period or can you just decide to take city insurance at any time as an employee?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Boris

I wouldn't mind benefits such as insurance for aldermen, if the city were working properly and to the benefit of its residents. I don't think we need to get hung up on insurance for 8 people here...there are much much much bigger issues.

I remember back when I first moved here, it was just before the 05 election. I was talking with a friend who owns a business in Berwyn, but lives in Oak Park. That person (who is very connected, influential and knowledgeable concerning politics in this town) had this to say:

"If I lived here, I'd be voting for O'Connor. If I was allowed to vote as a business owner who didn't live here, I'd vote for Woodward".

I hear similar things from business owners today, who seem very pleased with Lovero and how easy and fast things move on licensing, TIF money and such, and the BDC as well. But of course, as we hear here, the residents seem to be getting screwed.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

The Jackal

SEEM???? to be getting screwed?

They're getting the high, hard one....sans KY!!!!

Boris

Quote from: The Jackal on December 16, 2010, 05:37:15 PM

I was being generous and gentle...I know, unexpected behavior. But it's the holidaze.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Up until the past 5 to 10 years I wouldn't have had a problem with the alderman's insurance but given the state of the economy and the city of Berwyn and what I know the cost of insurance to be I do have a problem now.  It's a part-time job and the city is obviously hurting in terms of revenue.  Given that the alderpeople live in the city and know all too well the state of finances I would think they would voluntarily give up this perk for the benefit of their constituents. 

Considering most of the alderpeople consider this insurance their right for serving the people I really don't resent Marge Paul for getting it when she needed it most.  Also, I'll look on the bright side of things in terms of this.  The city is forced to do something in terms of domestic partner coverage which they should have been doing all along.  I certainly hope the union reps will make sure of this.

However, bottom line is I will never vote for any candidate in my ward (1st) who says they will not try to veto insurance for this part-time job.

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on December 16, 2010, 05:37:15 PM

Guess it's a good thing you don't live here!  LOL

The Jackal

Brother, I feel your pain.....been there done that.....!!!!!

Quarter Pounder

Quote from: Homebody on December 15, 2010, 10:42:08 PM
Quote from: Quarter Pounder on December 15, 2010, 06:43:17 PM

I recently asked to be enrolled in the group insurance offered to Aldermen by the City. My partner was permanently laid off in November. I was on her insurance as her domestic partner for at least 10+ years. She can take COBRA. However, I am not allowed to be included in on that program. Our relationship is not recognized under COBRA.

Neither is it recognized by the City of Berwyn. Aldermen are allowed to have family coverage. However, when I asked to have my partner placed on the the policy, I was told there was no domestic partner coverage. Seems the City never thought it important to include it for employees(eventhough I was told that other employees had requested coverage for their partners).

I have been told that domestic partner coverage will be considered for Berwyn employees by spring when the insuramce contract is renewed. My partner and I are hoping that our employment situations will improve and we won't need it by then. All the union contracts say that the City will not discriminate due to sexual orientation. Guess no one ever went to the union steward to complain about the unequal treatment.

To my knowledge, there are other Aldermen receiving the benefit. I don't know the actual cost to the tax payer. How ever, once the budget is relased tht information will be precisely available due to the new accounting software system the City is using to track that line item. Marge Paul

Alderman Paul is truly Blessed to have the taxpayers of Berwyn at her beck and call to solve both her, and her domestic partners health care issues in one fell swoop, even though she is completely against it. If only the other unemployed taxpayers of the 3rd ward were so fortunate.