News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Berwyn Building Codes

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, December 14, 2005, 02:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

Anyone have a link to the building codes.. the ones i found dont really give any information....  I'm looking for the one that tells you how big a gargage can be..or how far a pool needs to be from the building...etc...
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

ruffian

Guy, go here:

http://www.amlegal.com/berwyn_il/

Choose "Frames"

Then choose the Tab "HTML".  I think it defaults to HTML so may not have to do that last step.

You should be able to find your codes here.

Paul Fuentes

A pool in Berwyn is as big a waste as a chastity belt in Sin City. 

franklin train

OH YEAH!!! Finally making your garage big enough to put a muscle car in it? Make it three car if you could so i could store one of mine in there pal. ha haa!   ;D

Paul Fuentes

Franklin:

How do you know so much about my garage??  Insurgent......................

franklin train

Paul, I havent checked yours out yet... Your into muscle cars?

Franklin train

hvychev

Oh, how I miss my old Plainfield garage which was spilling out with muscle cars..... :'(

hvychev

Can't do much of that in Berwyn with out constantly worrying....

franklin train

deng! them sum nice ve-hicles...   :o impressive! yee haw hvychevy.  ;D

Guy_on_Clinton

Chev,

"Can't do much of that in Berwyn with out constantly worrying"

Breakins? or bangin up the cars squeezin in the Berwyn Size garages?

hvychev

Their was more where that came from Franklin. Just can't post the darn pictures cause of the size.

Paul SHOULD get a Muscle car so I can have someone to race down Ogden with into Cicero just they did in the old days! For $hits and grins we can even go to Ogden & Kostner where my father used to race when he grew up in Little Village!

Hey our own Ruffian was a street racer in her younger days when she used to race her 1970 442 all over the streets of Berwyn!

Attached is a vintage pic of Ruffs 442 that used to terrorize the streets of Berwyn. Pic circa 1970! 8)

hvychev

Ruff, did you ever see pops cruising in his 55 Chevy "back in the day"?  ;D

Pops 55 circa 10/68

hvychev

Guy,

It is hard to own a nice car around here. You have to worry about someone stealing it, hitting it, etc, etc. Most of the skells that drive around here aren't even insured. When I moved here I got rid of 2 of my three muscle cars because you HAVE to park in a garage if you want to live here. My daily drivers used to sit outside in Plainfield for years. Here (at least by my building) if you want your car in one piece and don't want to have to worry about finding parking or worry about street sweeping or plowing the daily drivers need to be in a garage. That means no storage for the toys unless you want to spend 100+ per month for EACH stall space in a safe storage facility. I drive the one car that I have left about 80% less than I did when I lived in Plainfield. Hell I used to leave the house with the garage door wide open for HOURS and NOTHING ever happened.

Guy_on_Clinton

Question:

I've got one of those 1 car brick garages... hardly holds 3 bikes and a lawnmower... 

Someone whose been thru it... please tell me the following:

#1. About how much $$ is a new Frame 2 & half car gargage run?
#2. Can I have a 3 car garage if my lot is 30ft wide?
#3. How hard is berwyn with permits?
#4. Does the builder deal with the city?
#5. How long does the process usally take from start to finish?
#6. Any recomendations on builders?

thanks......

franklin train

Anyone have an answer for guy? I want him to get that garage project going so i could store some of my stuff in it.  Ha!

delbowz

Guy -

I just had a new garage built by Danley last year - they are great.  Mine was 2 1/2 car - but we had a cement patio attached too and electricity put in - so it was a bit pricier - it was about $18,000.

It's all weather dependent.  once the cement is poured and dries - the entire garage only takes like 3 days - but they can't pour the cement  until it's consistantly above 50 degrees or something like that. 

If you go with a company like Danley - they will deal with the city and the permits and scheduling the inspections.  We had no problems once the work started.

The contractor should know the city codes - I'm not sure about the 3 car on a 30 ft. lot - but they can propose it and if the city denies teh permit, they can resubmit with the 2 1/2 car.

Again, my recommendation is Danley.  They are a bit pricier than other companies out there, but they do a lot of work in Berwyn (which makes inspection day easier), I have been more than happy with the amount of Service and the quality of my garage.

Good luck.

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

Guy_on_Clinton

thanks Denise...

Q: did you have a garage there that had to be removed? was that extra?

delbowz

I'm sorry - I've been offline for a few days!

No, I did not have an existing garage - I'm sure that would be extra - but conversely, I needed all new cement poured - and if you already have a cement base, they may be able to add to that.  The cement pour was costly.
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

T-Stan RPCV

I had a garage put in a couple years back.  Very simple no-frills 18'x20'.  Total cost was about $8,000 Included tear-down but not electric (the main electric was in place from the previous structure.

Used Steele & Loeber - very happy with the work they did.  They took care of all the permits and dealings with the city.  Tear down and rebuilt in about 2 days (1 day for tear down and pouring the slap - slap cured for a couple weeks and 1 day to build).

I also looked at Danley but they were about 2K more expensive and the design they provided appeared to be very similar (if not identical) to Steele & Loeber.