News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

DCOB slate

Started by Ted, April 05, 2011, 07:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Well, in going to vote this morning, I confirmed that Bobby Lovero is supporting a slate of candidates for the school boards. According to the person I spoke to outside the polling place, Lovero is supporting Gilbert Pena, Ann-Marie Suter, Andres Avila, Joanne Zaworski and James Swicionis for the D100 board.  

I also heard that Lovero is urging people to vote for the 3 Cicero-supported candidates (Jeff Pesek, Michael Iniquez and Mark Kraft) for the high school board.

The other thing I heard this morning is that  Lovero's brother was recently hired by D100 as a substitute teacher and then became a teacher teaching full time after only a few days on the job.

psychomom

Ted,

I know Lovero's brother was hired as a sub....but then he was put into a long term sub position for a teacher who is on a leave of absence. As far as I know he is still a long term sub.  A pretty choice assignment in any case for a brand new sub.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

Ted

Quote from: psychomom on April 05, 2011, 07:23:02 AM
Ted,

I know Lovero's brother was hired as a sub....but then he was put into a long term sub position for a teacher who is on a leave of absence. As far as I know he is still a long term sub.  A pretty choice assignment in any case for a brand new sub.

Psychomom, thanks for the clarification.  I modified my original post.

Ted

Terri

Quote from: Ted on April 05, 2011, 07:17:27 AM
Well, in going to vote this morning, I confirmed that Bobby Lovero is supporting a slate of candidates for the school boards. According to the person I spoke to outside the polling place, Lovero is supporting Gilbert Pena, Ann-Marie Suter, Andres Avila, Joanne Zaworski and James Swcionis for the D100 board.  

I also heard that Lovero is urging people to vote for the 3 Cicero-supported candidates (Jeff Pesek, Michael Iniquez and Mark Kraft) for the high school board.

The other thing I heard this morning is that  Lovero's brother was recently hired by D100 as a substitute teacher and then promoted to a full time teacher after only a few days on the job.

Glad I saw this before voting. Thanks!

OakParkSpartan

So much for the DCOB believing that politics should stay out of the schools.  That was always a myth anyways, but they seem to not even care to uphold that myth.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

The Jackal

GOOD STUFF....just puzzled why the DCOB would support CICERO 201 candidates? That surely must be a mistake.

moxnix

Received this email this morning confirming what Ted was told.  I find it interesting that as an Alderman she won't get involved with a non-partisan election, but as a "leader of the community" she will. 

To: AldChapmanWard1@AOL.com
Sent: Tue, April 5, 2011 9:03:28 AM
Subject: Today - April 05, 2011 Consolidated General Election - PLEASE GO OUT TO VOTE

Dear 1st Ward residents,

It is very important that you go out and vote today.

As an Alderman I will not get involved with a non-partisan election.

However, as a resident and leader of the community I personally am asking you to support the candidates which share the same interest in moving Berwyn forward and they are...

Board Member, Morton High School Dist 201(4yr term, vote for 3)
Michael Iniquez
Jeffry Pesek
Mark D. Kraft

Commissioner, Berwyn Park Dist(6yr term, vote for 1)
Diego Estrella

Board Member, South Berwyn School Dist 100-UNEXPIRED TERM
(2yr term, vote for 1)
James E. Swicionis

Board Member, South Berwyn School Dist.100 (4yr term, vote for 4)
Gilbert Pena
Ann Marie Suter
Andres Avila
Joanne Zaworski

No matter how you choose to vote today... Please go vote!

Thanks,

Nona 

Bonster

Quote from: Nona on April 05, 2011, 12:00:31 PM
Dear 1st Ward residents,

However, as a resident and leader of the community I personally am asking you to support the candidates which share the same interest in moving Berwyn forward and they are...

Michael Iniquez
Jeffry Pesek
Mark D. Kraft

The inherent problem with this is the election is not about "moving Berwyn forward"; it's about our educational system.  
The "moving forward" part is in reference to Maniotis being against TIFF districts, which are used to help Berwyn move forward on the business front.  I have not seen one example of how Mark Kraft is better suited to help D201 than Ms. Maniotis.  

If you'd like to judge some of the comments on BTF by the other two listed be my guest.  I could care less about the D100 race.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

What's funny about all this angst over Ms. Maniotis is she'd still be out-voted on the board. 

I normally don't care that much about the whole TIFF thing, but the way some of them led the charge and wasted time and money challenging her signatures "just because," I'll vote for her to spite them. 

OakParkSpartan

The TIFs matter...but I'm with you on this.  I want to see the seat won at the election booth, not through some bogus challenges (and the counting a holiday weekend was bogus).
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on April 05, 2011, 10:55:24 AM
GOOD STUFF....just puzzled why the DCOB would support CICERO 201 candidates? That surely must be a mistake.

No, Jackal, no mistake. Based on Nona's email and based on what I heard, it looks like they are supporting the Cicero supported candidates for the District 201 board.  Obviously, they want to make sure that Rita does not win.

Shelley

Well, if you'd like to make up your own mind rather than rely on recommendations from politicians, visit the CARES website and vote for the candidate whose OWN WORDS/PLANS inspire you to believe that their interest is creating excellence in education in Berwyn.  

www.berwyncares.org

I'd also encourage anyone who received recommendations from an alderman or the mayor to respond via e-mail asking what criteria they used to evaluate the candidates before making their endorsements.  Flood their e-mail boxes and make this an actual conversation about education.  Ask specific questions about the CARES surveys and their (alderman/mayor) positions on the candidates' responses.  This might turn out to be a meaningful exchange.  

Ted

Just looked at my email box and saw an email from Second Ward Alderman Jeff Boyajian, who is also supporting the Cicero slate:

Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:57:14 AM
Subject: Make Your Vote Count!

Friends and Neighbors:

It is important that you vote today, every vote counts.   I am asking you to vote, as will today, for the candidates who have done an excellent job representing us on both the Berwyn Park District Board of Commissioners and the South Berwyn School Board.

Michael Iniquez
Jeffry Pesek
Mark D. Kraft

Commissioner, Berwyn Park Dist (6yr term, vote for 1)
Diego Estrella

Board Member, South Berwyn School Dist 100-UNEXPIRED TERM
(2yr term, vote for 1)
James E. Swicionis

Board Member, South Berwyn School Dist.100 (4yr term, vote for 4)
Ann Marie Suter
Joanne Zaworski

I also feel that Gilbert Pena and Andres Avila would be an welcomed addition to the South Berwyn School District Board.

Visit http://www.cookcountyclerk.com/elections/voterprofile/Pages/default.aspx , just enter your address to view a sample ballot and click on candidates to read their profile.

No matter how you choose to vote today ... please go vote!

Thanks,
Jeff

NYWREB

Is it just me, or is sending an email from your ALDERMANIC email address - to the citizens OF YOUR WARD - acting in an aldermanic capacity - and NOT acting in a pure average citizen capacity?

If she TRULY wanted to keep politics out of it, she would have used a personal email and sent it to ALL of her contacts in Berwyn - NOT JUST THOSE in her ward.

Total BS.

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on April 05, 2011, 12:38:22 PM
Friends and Neighbors:

It is important that you vote today, every vote counts.   I am asking you to vote, as will today, for the candidates who have done an excellent job representing us on both the Berwyn Park District Board of Commissioners and the South Berwyn School Board.

He said nothing about D201, but still lists candidates to vote for.  Why, Jeff? 

Why have neither candidate given reasons why these guys are better than Rita, or even worth voting for to begin with?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: NYWREB on April 05, 2011, 12:38:33 PM
Is it just me, or is sending an email from your ALDERMANIC email address - to the citizens OF YOUR WARD - acting in an aldermanic capacity - and NOT acting in a pure average citizen capacity?

If she TRULY wanted to keep politics out of it, she would have used a personal email and sent it to ALL of her contacts in Berwyn - NOT JUST THOSE in her ward.

Total BS.

That is an AOL and att.net addy.  Neither are the official berwyn-il.gov addresses.

NYWREB

But it's Alderman Chapman Ward 1... whehter it's OFFICIAL as berwyn, sending it from an email address where you call yourself Alderman brings politics in it.. in my humble opinion

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: NYWREB on April 05, 2011, 01:57:49 PM
But it's Alderman Chapman Ward 1... whehter it's OFFICIAL as berwyn, sending it from an email address where you call yourself Alderman brings politics in it.. in my humble opinion

Oh, yeah, I see what you mean.

But it isn't like she'd be sending that out if she wasn't a politician.

Sad that people like that are people who residents look up to and follow. 

Ted

Any emails from aldermen in north Berwyn?  Just wondering.

Boris

Quote from: Ted on April 05, 2011, 06:35:21 PM

Any emails from aldermen in north Berwyn?  Just wondering.

Not one. Voter turnout at Prairie Oak was dismal. I was there about 3 pm...I was the 10th person they had all day.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller