News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Arizona Baseball-my favorite collegiate athlete

Started by The Jackal, April 09, 2011, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

Freshman starting left fielder Johnny Field.

HS Baseball  All American.

Nevada state hs wrestling champ.

3.6 GPA

Dad played football at SIU and briefly for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Best of all, mom is from....South Berwyn, with a BTF "connection".

I'm sure grandma is proud, and I know VERY well that grandpa would have also.

pkd50

Thanks Andy.  Yes, I'm very proud of my oldest grandchild. He's an all around good, kind kid.   His hard work and dedication to his sport and studies got him a full ride.  He had offers from all over.  While in grade school, he spent lots of summer vacation hours over at Irving learning to play fast pitch with his Uncle, and getting in pick up games with the kids over there. Is that just a Chicago thing?  His mom, my daughter, was for sure a South Berwyn girl....St. Leonard's, Naz, SIU. Maureen and John have done a wonderful job raising their boys.  If only Tom could............but, I think he knows

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

Pkd,

I'm sure Tom DOES know....what a phenomenal story. The old guy would have been grinning ear to ear, BEAMING with pride....and of course reminding me of the kids "Sox" roots.....LOL!

God Bless Johnny and best of luck to him......I hope ome day to be able to see him play live.....maybe that uncle of his can scrounge up a ticket or two for his "old pal".....LOL!!!

The Jackal

Game winning HOUR for Johnny in Arizona's 2-1 win over Oregon.

Go Johnny go, go....Go Johnny go.....

The Jackal

pkd50

Big game for Johnny.  He's waiting to hear where he'll be spending his summer.  The U of A baseball team doesn't go home.  He may be sent to the Cape Cod League or to play in Alaska, but being a freshman he will probably be kept in Arizona for strength and conditioning training.  I'm so happy for him, but a little sad for me.  His summers with grandma are over.

The Jackal

Where's my tickets pkd? That son of yours has totally forgotten his good pal The Jackal. LOL!!!

Ted

pkd50

Not really sure Ted.  It's unlikey that he'll go there, because he's a freshman.  I'm told it's a pretty big deal to play there.  If he keeps playing like he has been, he'll get there eventually.

The Jackal

Cape Cod is step one on a college players path to the pros.

Ted

Thanks for the info... maybe I'll check out some minor league baseball when I'm vacationing there this summer. 

pkd50

Love it there.  Where are you staying?  Tom and I spend a few vacations in Yarmouth, MA.  An easy drive to anywhere on the Cape from there.  I was in Boston last Fall, but never made it to Cape Cod.  I'm meeting friends in Philly next month then off to Atlantic City.  I love it out East, but jeez it's not cheap!

Ted

Quote from: pkd50 on April 24, 2011, 07:16:26 PM
Love it there.  Where are you staying?  Tom and I spend a few vacations in Yarmouth, MA.  An easy drive to anywhere on the Cape from there.  I was in Boston last Fall, but never made it to Cape Cod.  I'm meeting friends in Philly next month then off to Atlantic City.  I love it out East, but jeez it's not cheap!

My sister, her husband and their kids live in Boston so we usually go to Falmouth (Seacreast resort) when I visit them. I also usually spend a few days to a week in Provincetown.  I've been going to Provincetown for 27 years and its still the same. It's my favorite vacation spot.

My sister has rented a house in Falmouth for the summer so I am going to stay there for a few days and then go to PTown.

The Jackal

Walk off RBI single for Johnny last night against USC in the 10th inning. Must be extra sweet for the youngster, as he has several good friends on USC's roster....and he was heavily recruited by USC also.

pkd50

The pitcher was a Bishop Gorman HS buddy.  Someday when they talk about their glory days,  they might remember that game.

The Jackal

Pkd,

I'm starting to get the feeling that Johnny will have a LOT more important games to reminisce about from his "glory days".

Btw, T-Bone Jr. went 2 for 3 today with a game winning RBI and 2 strikeouts in 1 inning pitched, along with a  game saving stab at 1B in the fifth inning...all a day after he sharpened his skills with "Uncle Steve" at the US Cellular skills center...LOL!!!!

pkd50

Wonderful!    How will you ever get him up North after he's seen Comiskey?  I heard he had a good time, but wasn't dressed properly. lol

The Jackal

LOL!

T-Bone bleeds Cubbie blue through and through.....but he also likes the Orioles because of Nick Markakis, lefty right fielder.

Great time though. Tons of thanks to Steve.

pkd50

Just got the news that Johnny has been invited to play in the Cape Cod League this summer.  I thought he might have to wait until his second or third year of college ball.  Guess I'll be flying to Boston this summer!!