Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Arizona Baseball-my favorite collegiate athlete

Started by The Jackal, April 09, 2011, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

pkd50

I'm leaving for Cape Cod tonight to watch Johnny play ball.  I've been to the Cape in the fall and loved it.  I bet summer will be nice also.

Terri

Quote from: pkd50 on July 03, 2011, 06:57:56 PM
I'm leaving for Cape Cod tonight to watch Johnny play ball.  I've been to the Cape in the fall and loved it.  I bet summer will be nice also.
He's lucky, living every boys dream.  Enjoy every minute of your grandson's success! 

pkd50

What a joy to watch these college kids play!  They have nice fields on the Cape, and they only ask for a donation to get in.  Food is reasonable, so there are lots of families enjoying the games.  I was surprised at how big the crowds get.  Interesting too watching the section where the pro scouts sit.  They're writing notes looking at kids college bios and stats, aiming their radar guns, using stopwatches as they run the bases.  Johnny's host family was very nice and welcoming to us.  She has two young daughters and was amazed at how much two boys ate!  The league gives them $55 a week to feed the kids.  Maureen said that might keep Johnny in cereal for the week.  We made a Sam's Club run, and stocked them up on water/Gatorade, snack, lunch meat, etc.

pkd50

It became official last night.  My #2 grandson verbally committed to UIC to play baseball there next year.  Bishop Gorman HS has a signing ceremony for all athletes receiving scholarships on Nov 9th.   It's kind of nice.  The family and friends show up with the colors of the school they will be attending.   Tommy has done well both academically and in baseball and wrestling at Gorman.  He loves Chicago and worked very hard to get back here.  The Daly Clan is very proud and happy to have T-Bone with us!

pkd50

The Univ. of Arizona won their super regional and a trip to Omaha for the College World Series.  Last Friday, the coach called Johnny in to tell him he was one of 22 college kids asked to join Team USA.  After the world series, he going to Cuba then the Netherlands to play ball.  He finished his sophomore year with a near perfect GPA, and has remained a quiet humble young man.  I'm so happy for him, but I'll miss summer on Cape Cod watching him play.

rbain

That's really exciting! Keep is posted- I'm sure many here would love to watch him
play.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Shelley

Ted

Congrats, Pat.  Good luck to Johnny.   Does Team USA play in the Olympics?

Bonster

Whoa, awesome PKD! 
Good stock!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2 watching baseball from the couch.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

whitesoxfan

Please visit the Garv Inn on Facebook

whitesoxfan

Don't forget to remind him where he had his first Kiddie Coctail.

whitesoxfan

The Jackal

Go Johnny Go!!!!!!

ARIZONA in the finals!

Everyone at Paisan's bar yesterday was wondering #1 Why the hell are we watching ARIZONA baseball, and #2 Whats wrong with the guy at the end of the bar who's fist pumping after Fields single to right in the 8th (its already 10-2 anyway)?

Go Johnny Go!!!!!!

pkd50

ExBerwynites were fist pumping in Vegas, the South Loop, and Countryside.

Ted

Congrats to Arizona on winning the College World Series.

I was looking at the Arizona team statistics and J. Field had the highest batting average of all the Arizona players - a .370 batting average.

You must be very proud, Pat.

pkd50

I'm very proud not only of his baseball skills but his GPA and the fact that he's just a nice kid.  I also have another champ in the family.  My 9yr old grandson's little league team  took first place. 

The Jackal

Resurrecting an old topic (SORRY), but PKD's grandson, Johnny Field, got into his first big league spring training game yesterday for the Rays, as a late inning substitute in LF.

Go Johnny Go!!!!

pkd50

What a thrill it was for him and the Field/Daly clan.  Nothing was hit to him in LF, and the game ended with him on deck.  He was put in to play with the big boys, and that was a big deal for all of us!

The Jackal