News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Compare Berwyn's Catholic Churches

Started by bearkat, April 10, 2011, 02:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearkat

How do St. Odilo, St. Leonard and St. Mary of Celle compare?  I'm talking music, demographics, overall feel?

n01_important

Very broad question... I'll answer on sermon.

St. Leonard.. message seems meant for those with grammar to high school educations.
St. Odilo... deeper message, has you thinking for days.
St. Mary of Celle... never been there.

Has anyone been to the St. Pius X in Stickney?  I curious if they are anything like the St. Pius X neo-elists sects from the other midwest states.  They would preach at all non-Pius Catholics are going to hell and that was the soft stuff, their hardcore stuff was reserved for more private events.

They were ex-communicated for years until Pope Benedict XVI, who was sympathetic to them, offered to reinstate them.
Stupid fuck

NYWREB

I haven't been to ALL of the churches - but I will tell you that St. Leonard is very much a community-based faith.  There are a lot of opportunities to GET INVOLVED in the parish, and the parish truly is a faith-community.  They have a garden club, a senior-club, a men's faith based club, a women's faith-based club  - They send parishioners on mission trips every year, they have a strong youth-services director. 

It is a strong parish, with a community feel.

Bonster

God only recognizes St. Mary of Celle - the oldest and only holy church of the three.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

pkd50

I think your description of St. Leonard's is spot on.  I was an active parishoner for 30 years.  After I moved, I continued to go back, but at some point decided to register and give my new Parish a try.  I'm so glad I did.  Any Parish will do if you just go to Mass once a week, but if you get involved you meet people and build a sense of community.

Toria

Anyone ever go to Ascension Roman Catholic church in Oak Park?  It seems like a larger parish and its not far from Berwyn.