News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Getting rid of books

Started by TAL, April 15, 2011, 07:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAL

I'm cleaning out my bookshelves, and I used to take them to the Fillmore (Pillars) used bookstore, but it is no longer. Anybody got other suggestions?

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

EC

Brown Elephant Resale Shop
217 Harrison
Oak Park

(708) 445-0612

Non-profit resale shop, I think they take anything. Support gay/lesbian causes I think.

Homebody

Friends of the Berwyn Public Library collects used books for an annual book sale. Profit from the event is used for various activities at BPL. Just drop them off at the collection desk. Marge

marie

Half price books in LaGrange.  They buy books, and sell books, cd's, dvd's for half price.  There isn't much money to be made in selling your books to them, but it's nice to get something.  Google them.

psychomom

We are collecting books at Heritage Middle School to donate to a food pantry lending library aimed at helping adult literacy.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

baron von berwyn

every year, cat nap, a non for profit pet shelter on 31st (not sure of address, google it)  has a book donation drive and sale to raise money to care for the animals..... we donate books to the cause every year. contact them to find out when the next sale is and you can donate your books to a good cause.....

personally, i prefer to donate to and support animal shelters..... i avoid donations to salvation army and good will because i basically dislike people..... I'm not to concerned with what happens to people as i am concerned with the welfare of animals.

RockabillyMillie

Quote from: baron von berwyn on April 15, 2011, 02:46:25 PM
personally, i prefer to donate to and support animal shelters..... i avoid donations to salvation army and good will because i basically dislike people..... I'm not to concerned with what happens to people as i am concerned with the welfare of animals.

Sounds like my roommate in college. She was a Zoology/Fisheries & Wildlife major. Go figure.  :P

TAL

Quotepersonally, i prefer to donate to and support animal shelters..... i avoid donations to salvation army and good will because i basically dislike people..... I'm not to concerned with what happens to people as i am concerned with the welfare of animals.

Ha! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I didn't really want to take them to Goodwill or Salvation Army (for no good reason), so these suggestions are really helpful.

~LL~

Quote from: baron von berwyn on April 15, 2011, 02:46:25 PM
every year, cat nap, a non for profit pet shelter on 31st (not sure of address, google it)  has a book donation drive and sale to raise money to care for the animals..... we donate books to the cause every year. contact them to find out when the next sale is and you can donate your books to a good cause.....

+1 -- and, sadly, donations to Salvation Army and Goodwill are not really helping people in need that much anyway.
Good suggestion to donate to animal rescues -- like Cat Nap.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.