News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

TIFs

Started by Ted, April 16, 2011, 09:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Quote from: Ted on April 18, 2011, 09:26:37 PM
In researching the D201 TIF districts, I found out that the Lyon's quarry (on Frist avenue) is its own TIF district.
I didn't understand the Lyons quarry TIF district at all. It made no sense.
Ted, that was probably created for the Joliet Rd. project 20 yrs ago.
Remember, before they found the ground was too unstable (because of the quarry) to do improvements ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Homebody

We have lost business deals to surrounding municipalities because they offered more. Developers and business owners know this and use the competition to their advantage. I don't know what programs the Department of Transportation (DOT) or the SBA have that would replace TIF $ or tax rebates to attract bigger franchise holders. The goal is to have retailers and restaurants on our side of Harlem to capture out of town dollars and keep Berwyn dollars here as well. Marge

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Homebody on April 19, 2011, 02:05:02 PM
We have lost business deals to surrounding municipalities because they offered more. Developers and business owners know this and use the competition to their advantage. I don't know what programs the Department of Transportation (DOT) or the SBA have that would replace TIF $ or tax rebates to attract bigger franchise holders. The goal is to have retailers and restaurants on our side of Harlem to capture out of town dollars and keep Berwyn dollars here as well. Marge

What about improving the schools?

Schools seem to be the #1 reason people leave Berwyn, not because retail dollars are flowing out of town.

Keep the middle class here and you will see retailers open, due to better demographics. 

Keep the schools crappy, they'll leave.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

watcher

Quote from: Homebody on April 19, 2011, 02:05:02 PM

We'll see how well those "deals" work out long term. I don't think the answer is to throw MORE money. That's sort of the problem don't you think? Big or wannabe big corps, LLCs and speculators playing small communities against one another for their own gain. Most of the "deals" I've seen are lopsided if not wholly one-sided.

I think we're beginning to see how those deals tend to work out and the big winners aren't the communities who funded the experiment.
As to what the SBA or DOT have to offer, it's called strategic planning. DOT/EPA/HUD have a partnership for sustainable communities that specifically targets existing built-out communities trying to compete with "wide-open spaces" and slick developers.

SBA should be on every city hall's speed dial and its personnel should be well-versed in referrals to potential entrepreneurs. There's an alphabet soup of resources whose sole purpose is to provide information and resources. We fund those too. The question is why aren't they being used?

Elected officials with no particular background in much beyond being popular enough to get elected are outgunned when "playing" with modern urban planning. That's not intended as an insult. IMO, your job is to be the taxpayers' watchdog. To protect us from bad ideas.
To facilitate, not initiate. To evaluate and attenuate when necessary and protect the resources.

Tax dollars pay PROFESSIONAL staff who should have the requisite education and experience to carry out their duties of running day-to-day planning and operations.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Homebody

The BDC has two urban planners on staff now. The BDC hosts forums for small business owners to learn about SBA intiatives. They are a pretty sharp bunch now. I am not here to be their cheer leader. I just think that if you had an opportunity to discuss business development with them, you too would be impressed.

I agree with OPS that a strong atractive school system would attract a demographic that would in turn  help to attract businesses looking for those numbers. However, at this point we need to do both; attract business and strengthen the schools, at the same time, inorder to have a thriving city. I would also add in some innovation and a dash of fiscal belt tightening. All is needed to keep afloat. Marge

Bonster

Quote from: Homebody on April 19, 2011, 03:33:16 PM
The BDC has two urban planners on staff now. The BDC hosts forums for small business owners to learn about SBA intiatives. They are a pretty sharp bunch now. I am not here to be their cheer leader. I just think that if you had an opportunity to discuss business development with them, you too would be impressed.

Cheerleader.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tgoddess

Are there already tenants lined up for the new development going in at the NW corner of Harlem and Cermak?  Fencing is up, so it appears demolition/building will start fairly soon...
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Homebody

Quote from: tgoddess on April 20, 2011, 07:08:02 AM
Are there already tenants lined up for the new development going in at the NW corner of Harlem and Cermak?  Fencing is up, so it appears demolition/building will start fairly soon...

The BDC reports on leasing all the spaces in the Berwyn Gateway development have been very positive. We receive regular reports on the progress in Closed Committee of the Whole meetings which is why I can't comment further. I am sure that everyone has heard rumors about the businesses coming to that development. Friends of the Mayor talk a lot.

buzz

Quote from: Homebody on April 20, 2011, 09:07:32 AM
I am sure that everyone has heard rumors about the businesses coming to that development. Friends of the Mayor talk a lot.
Not just that development.  I heard through the "rumor mill" that the Harley-Davidson store on Roos/Harlem is leaving.  Something about leasing terms/renewal.  The BDC is supposedly working hard to get them into the old Anderson Ford space.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Homebody on April 20, 2011, 09:07:32 AM
Quote from: tgoddess on April 20, 2011, 07:08:02 AM

The BDC reports on leasing all the spaces in the Berwyn Gateway development have been very positive. We receive regular reports on the progress in Closed Committee of the Whole meetings which is why I can't comment further. I am sure that everyone has heard rumors about the businesses coming to that development. Friends of the Mayor talk a lot.

BW3 has been rumored to be landing there since Pabst was at the BDC.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 20, 2011, 10:07:37 AM

What is BW3?

watcher

Quote from: Ted on April 21, 2011, 06:06:12 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 20, 2011, 10:07:37 AM

What is BW3?

Buffalo Wild Wings
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Ted

Attached are the EAVs for the TIF districts in Berwyn:

TIF                     Current EAV   Frozen EAV   Lost EAV
Berwyn Cermak   $48,142,014   $24,956,600   $23,185,414
Berwyn Ogden   $27,529,897   $12,946,628   $14,583,269
Berwyn Roosevelt   $18,579,948   $10,944,135   $7,635,813
Berwyn DD            $32,157,390   $18,251,797   $13,905,593

fututum

Quote from: buzz on April 18, 2011, 10:50:45 PM
Quote from: Ted on April 18, 2011, 09:26:37 PM
In researching the D201 TIF districts, I found out that the Lyon's quarry (on Frist avenue) is its own TIF district.
I didn't understand the Lyons quarry TIF district at all. It made no sense.
Ted, that was probably created for the Joliet Rd. project 20 yrs ago.
Remember, before they found the ground was too unstable (because of the quarry) to do improvements ?

yea i used to drive that road to work everyday until they closed it off