News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Windows 7 question

Started by buzz, April 22, 2011, 09:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

I upgaded.  It's a learning experience.  Before I examine every setting on IE8 and my ISP I figured I'd ask for help here.
When I respond to a post "Reply with Quote", the quote locks at the top of the drop down box (viewing area).  I type and then kinda' run out of room. When I fill that message area I can keep typing but the only way I can see everything is to "Preview" it.  It's all there, it's just it doesn't scroll that viewing area while I'm typing.  This doesn't happen when I just "Reply". Anyone know what controls scrolling ?
Thanks
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Sounds like something to do with the way IE is rendering.

One thing you might try is downloading Firefox and testing with that.  That should isolate whether it is a problem with IE or not.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

jfrickind

I think it's IE.  Mine does the same thing with IE but when I use Chrome it doesn't do it. 

Wacky.

buzz

menace2society

upgrade to IE9 and try it.  It's primetime now and not in Beta.

buzz

Aha !  Didn't know that.  I also found out I'm missing a service pack for Win7.

~LL~

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 22, 2011, 11:20:03 PM
Sounds like something to do with the way IE is rendering.

One thing you might try is downloading Firefox and testing with that.  That should isolate whether it is a problem with IE or not.

Thanks.  Same experience for a while now - just got used to it but wondered why it was happening.  Problem solved here.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Ted

I've also had the same problem with Windows 7.  What was the solution?

Bonster

I have a Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop using the Chrome browser and it's fine.

I do seem to remember IE8 doing that same thing when I first got this.  But I just tried it now (both 32 & 64 bit versions) and they're working fine.  I did notice two recent Windows Update updates from Feb 2011 that pertain directly to IE8.

I would check to see that you're up to date with your Windows updates, and if that doesn't work download Chrome.  Download Chrome anyway. ;)

Bonster

Ah ha...  it's a known bug with IE8 going back to 2009:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=331832.0

It also affects other forum software as well.  They post a work-around with the forums, but like I said, I noticed that mine appears to be working well with the most recent updates from Feb 2011.   Or just download Chrome.  And try Pete's beef.

Ted

Quote from: bonster on April 24, 2011, 09:18:58 AM
....  And try Pete's beef.... /quote]

I prefer Petie Boy's beef... had some yesterday.

offtopic

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on April 24, 2011, 10:55:21 AM

Oh, now that's convenient... ;)

buzz

Quote from: Ted on April 23, 2011, 09:59:56 PM
I've also had the same problem with Windows 7.  What was the solution?
My solution will be to install the Win7 Service Pack first.  Play around with it for a while to see if there's any new problems that pop up.  I think they're called undocumented features (bugs).
Then comes the IE9 ugrade.  Same thing, use it, hope all is well.  I won't do both at the same time.
Down the road I may try Firefox or Chrome.

Thanks again for the help folks.

jake

Quote from: Ted on April 24, 2011, 10:55:21 AM
Quote from: bonster on April 24, 2011, 09:18:58 AM
....  And try Pete's beef.... /quote]

Oh, the possible jokes with this one are too easy!  If this came from anybody else...
But I am not sure where the offensive line is, and will hold back out of respect.

Ted

I just installed IE 8.0 on my XP computer and I am now getting the same problem - so it seems like an IE problem, not a Windows 7 problem.

I also seem to be getting some program now that is constantly running in the background. which didn't happen before. It is consuming the entire computer.

ARGGHHH.  I wish I hadn't upgraded but all the sites said the version of IE I had was no longer supported.

billyjean

what version did you have?

Bonster

I get that occasionally - even with the Chrome browser - but only when I use the quick edit function on a post (lower right - icon).  And it's very random, seems only when I hit it multiple times on a post.

Doesn't seem to do it in Firefox.

Ted

I figured out how to solve the problem.

Bring up Internet Explorer. Select the menu Tools/Compatibility View Settings

Click the check box "Display all websites in compatibility mode"

Bonster

So you have to hamstring your browser just to post here.  Nice.

Isn't there a button where you can do that on a per-page basis?