News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Violets!

Started by seebee, April 29, 2011, 09:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seebee

I have violets, and I don't want them. They have been taking over more and more each year. I don't want them. I spray, and spray with store bought weed killer that says "violets" on the label. They keep comin back. I don't want them. I sprayed this year already a few weeks ago, and now, they are flowering as if I FED them. Did I mention I don't want them? Are these special Berwyn violets or something? I need a Berwyn violet handler to throw me suggestions on products. F these things.  >:(

OakParkSpartan

I just keep yanking them out of the ground.  Eventually they go away.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dyta93

Darn, if they weren't sprayed I would take them off your hands to make violet syrup and candies.

seebee

Quote from: dyta93 on April 30, 2011, 01:54:21 PM
Darn, if they weren't sprayed I would take them off your hands to make violet syrup and candies.

I meant um...

Free, organic, pesticide free, violets grown in a non-smoking yard by mentally challenged and handicapped immigrant orphans who want to provide organic food to people who care about what they put into their bodies. As a bonus, for every 1 lb you pick, a 10.00 donation will be made to the Human Fund. Come and get 'em!

Or something.

eno

Quote from: dyta93 on April 30, 2011, 01:54:21 PM

Wow! I'd love to try candy like that!

I'll have a hand-full of rose petals every so often starting in mid-June (no fertilizer, sprays etc.) if you want them; can you make candy from roses? They're edible flowers.

eno
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

tgoddess

Eno,

I make candied rose petals every summer from my arbor.  I'll send some over for you.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

dyta93

But seriously, if you have a ton of violets and they haven't been sprayed and you want to get rid of them, I would be interested at least be able to pick the flowers.  Will even give you some violet syrup and candies if you are interested.

watcher

Quote from: dyta93 on May 02, 2011, 08:27:05 PM
But seriously, if you have a ton of violets and they haven't been sprayed and you want to get rid of them, I would be interested at least be able to pick the flowers.  Will even give you some violet syrup and candies if you are interested.

I haven't mowed yet. I have a yard full of violets, clover and what I was told is Siberian Squill. PM for address if serious.
It's all purple to me. There's another strip next door too.
My yard is 35'x ~50' the strip next door is ~20' x 100'.
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

eno

Quote from: tgoddess on May 01, 2011, 10:01:05 PM
Eno,

I make candied rose petals every summer from my arbor.  I'll send some over for you.

Thanks!!
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: watcher on May 02, 2011, 09:17:40 PM
Quote from: dyta93 on May 02, 2011, 08:27:05 PM

I haven't mowed yet. I have a yard full of violets, clover and what I was told is Siberian Squill. PM for address if serious.
It's all purple to me. There's another strip next door too.
My yard is 35'x ~50' the strip next door is ~20' x 100'.
We have "creeping Charlie" which has purple flowers - that's not what you're talking about is it?  The house at the end of my block developed a serious case a few years back and it seems to have spread to the center of my large yard.  I'm thinking about calling in the professionals to get rid of it.  Speaking of clover, I remember when I was little I used to eat it so I guess it is edible.  My parents both grew up on farms and never told me not to.  Another plant delicacy I have grown to love since being married to a Sicilian is fried zucchini flowers - yum.

PamF

I had those violets as well.  I pulled them out and then sprayed with weed b gon on the rest of them.  The ones I yanked out did not come back.

If you'd like some horrible morning glories, I'd be happy to send some over to whoever would like them.  I swear there is one root and it goes to China or further.