News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

QUESTIONS MR. MAYOR, QUESTIONS.......

Started by The Jackal, May 03, 2011, 02:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Quote from: Ted on May 11, 2011, 06:33:06 AM

"It was a terrible ordeal," said Andrade, adding he is on disability after what happened.

Disability ?  WTFun ?

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Berwyn CARES

Take Action
Remind District 201 School Officials that this community remains outraged by the actions of the Board to re-elect Mr. Pesek President.  Ongoing Sun Times coverage makes it easy.  Each article has a button you can click to email the story and a box so that you can add a comment.

1. Go to the Sun Times most recent article
http://www.suntimes.com/5298234-417/cicero-school-board-chief-doesnt-recall-chat-with-biker-gang-pal.html

2. Click the 'Email Story' button and enter district201@jsmorton.org.

3. Cut and paste the message:

The information in these articles reinforces my opinion that Mr. Pesek is not fit to lead our school district.  Please consider again asking for Mr. Pesek's resignation.

Ted

And the drum beat goes on:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/news/education/x600910654/Outrage-over-Pesek-continues-We-won-t-stop-until-he-s-gone 

Outrage over Pesek continues: 'We won't stop until he's gone'

By Brett Schweinberg,
bschweinberg@mysuburbanlife.com
Berwyn Life
Posted May 12, 2011 @ 12:39 PM

Berwyn, IL — Nearly a month after a Chicago Sun-Times report  revealed ties between Morton High School District 201 Board of Education President Jeff Pesek and two convicted felons, outrage and calls for his resignation continued at school board meeting Wednesday.

Students handed in a petition for Pesek's resignation they say has more than 1,500 signatures, and others went as far as calling for dismantling the board and allowing the state to take over control of the district.

The situation was exacerbated by the board's 6-1 vote to re-confirm Pesek's position as president in April and Pesek's absence from Wednesday's meeting.

"You guys should be ashamed of yourself. Out of all of you guys, only one of you voted against Jeff Pesek for president." said Consuelo Hall, a Morton East student. "You guys need to understand that we want change and you guys aren't doing anything. You guys have to start with your president. "

Some have become so fed up with their perception of a corrupt district that they believe the board should be dissolved.

"People in the community think of this board as a joke," said Jamile Abdul-Rafia, a Berwyn resident who said he has four students in the Morton district. "I'm begging that every board member after this school board meeting turn in their resignation and let the state take over."

The meeting was also rife with accusations. Several people lambasted Pesek for dealing drugs, which has never been alleged or revealed in testimony.

Others spouted an unconfirmed rumor that Pesek lives in Westchester, and another man charged that the board would not allow a TV news crew into the board meeting.

District spokesman Eric Kohn denied that claim after the meeting.

The Chicago Sun-Times published a copy of Pesek's testimony in federal court online, in which he admits to having silent partners in Ontourage, a Chicago nightclub owned by his brother, Craig.

Jeff Pesek, who has served as manager of Ontourage, also admitted to buying liquor outside of licensed suppliers. Pesek, however, was given immunity for his testimony.

In a separate trial, convicted drug trafficker Enrique Rendon testified that he was a silent partner in Ontourage and a Cicero drug store owned by Jeff Pesek. Pesek has denied having business ties with Rendon or knowing that Rendon was a drug trafficker. He did tell the Sun-Times that he grew up on the same block as Rendon and was good friends with Rendon's brother.

Pesek also is a childhood friend of a ranking member of a local motorcycle gang, Mark Polchan. Polchan was convicted of being involved in the bombing of a Berwyn business in 2003. Pesek testified that he bought several flat-screen TVs for Ontourage at Polchan's pawn shop. Although the pawn shop has been known to sell stolen goods according to the Sun-Times, Pesek said he had no knowledge of the store's reputation.
Pesek has not been charged or formally accused of any crime by prosecutors on any level.

While the exact facts of Pesek's ties remain murky, the community has held on to its anger over their school board president, and some students said they will continue to pressure Pesek for his resignation.

"Hopefully, deep down inside, we know that this is very wrong," said Victor Amigon, a Morton East student. "I just want us to all cooperate and please, I'm begging that Jeff Pesek please step down. Myself and several other students will be here again and again and again and wait until he resigns. We won't stop until he's gone."

Board members Mike Iniquez and Laura Martin-Salazar also were absent from Wednesday's meeting.
The board made no comments on the controversy surrounding Pesek during the meeting. Kohn also declined to comment.

Homebody

Quote from: Berwyn CARES on May 12, 2011, 12:22:10 PM
Take Action
Remind District 201 School Officials that this community remains outraged by the actions of the Board to re-elect Mr. Pesek President.  Ongoing Sun Times coverage makes it easy.  Each article has a button you can click to email the story and a box so that you can add a comment.

1. Go to the Sun Times most recent article
http://www.suntimes.com/5298234-417/cicero-school-board-chief-doesnt-recall-chat-with-biker-gang-pal.html

2. Click the 'Email Story' button and enter district201@jsmorton.org.

3. Cut and paste the message:

The information in these articles reinforces my opinion that Mr. Pesek is not fit to lead our school district.  Please consider again asking for Mr. Pesek's resignation.

Done. Here is the message I sent.
Ladies and Gentlemen: I join in the call for Mr. Pesek's resignation from the District 201 School Board. I support the vote of board member Margaret Kelly against re-electing Mr. Pesek as school board President. However, it would not be enough for Mr. Pesek to relinquish his office while remaining on the board at this point in time. Only his resignation from his seat on the school board will begin the process of rehabilitation of the community's trust. While the board may not be able to un-seat Mr. Pesek, a vote of No Confidence in Mr. Pesek would show that the Morton High School District is listening to the parents, students, teachers, and members of the larger community it serves. Alderman Margaret Paul, Berwyn IL

The Jackal

Now if only this thread were about Mr. Pesek.......

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Quote from: The Jackal on May 12, 2011, 05:54:21 PM
Now if only this thread were about Mr. Pesek.......
LOL!

Now THAT was funny.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

I don't see this guy resigning.    He's made nearly a million bucks off the town of Cicero, and they want him in there.    Plus he's got the confidence of the board  that voted his ass President again (sans the goof Kelly who NO ONE here wanted on the board in the first place). 

berwyn senator

How untrue to stereotype us as old timers,how would one define seen to much?know to much?realize nothing can be done?So do we all move to Woodlawn?Were not a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks,who probably don't even vote.Senors most likely make the highest percentage of the voters in the area.The one thing I learned many many years ago,"can't" doesn't exist in my vocabulary,any one can  accomplish anything their little heart desires.

Ted

Another column about the Peseks in the Life newspaper:

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/berwyn/features/x1141515293/Jerry-Moore-Jeff-Pesek-denies-charges-he-made-against-himself 

Jerry Moore: Jeff Pesek denies charges he made against himself.

Suburban Life Publications
Posted May 17, 2011 @ 01:49 PM

Western suburbs — There's little doubt Craig and Jeff Pesek of Cicero would love to sock the people accusing them of wrongdoing right in the nose!

The brothers have been under the microscope lately. Accusations were publicized last month that they've been cavorting with criminals.

Such charges must really hurt. Given that both men hold elective office, they're in an awkward position.

Craig sits on the Cicero Public Library Board and is Cicero Township Republican committeeman. Jeff serves as president of the Morton High School District 201 Board of Education. It can't be easy justifying your associations with the likes of mob toadies, thieves, gang members and drug dealers.

They've also received hundreds of thousands of dollars in Cicero contracts and have worked hard to keep Town President Larry Dominick in office, but that's only because they believe in good government. And the more money a government is willing to give them, the better it is.

So, who's charging the brothers with bending the rules? One of these guys is named Jeff Pesek, and the brothers probably wish he had kept his mouth shut.

Under immunity, he testified last year against Mark Polchan. Jeff indicated that he and Craig cut a few corners in running a business, according to trial transcripts released by the Chicago Sun-Times.

As the manager of Ontourage, a Chicago nightclub owned by Craig, Jeff said they neglected to list their silent partners as investors. They also hired Polchan to work security but sometimes failed to submit tax filings for him, he said.

Convicted drug dealer Enrique Rendon testified that he was one of the silent partners in Ontourage as well as Jeff's liquor store. The brothers deny this claim and said they never knew their lifelong buddies were criminals, even though it appears everyone else did.

To be accused of intentionally concealing tax and investor information from government entities is rather harsh. And that this charge came from Jeff himself must feel even worse.

But which Jeff Pesek are you going to believe? The federal witness who swore to tell the truth under penalty of law or the community leader proclaiming his innocence? I'm willing to listen to the latter, despite his doing everything possible to avoid discussing the issue.

OakParkSpartan

Sounds like the life is suggesting we should listen to this guy?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

That's what I thought.  Maybe it's just a poorly written last sentence.

Ana

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 03, 2011, 09:41:01 PM
Quote from: Roger on May 03, 2011, 08:56:03 PM
Ted: I gurantee you whether you believe it or not..........during your lifetime, you have befriended and had business dealings with people who turned out to be not exactly what you thought they were.   Nuff said.

Bullshit.

I never have.  I'd bet 95% of the people who read this board haven't either.

It is that pervasive attitude that criminal behavior is OK amongst the long time residents which keeps Berwyn government, both the city and the schools, a mess.

+1
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Ana

Quote from: mustang54 on May 03, 2011, 10:25:02 PM
Quote from: The Jackal on May 03, 2011, 10:20:48 PM
I don't think the issue is whether Lovero's "explanation" makes sense. The issue is whether Lovero knew about Pesek's ties BEFORE he endorsed him. BIG difference.
If you want the answer so bad why don't you ask the only person who can give you your answers. Ask the mayor! Think how much of a rest you could give your fingers if you asked the only person who could answer all your questions. You have been on this for a week, go see him,call him,send him an email and ask him. Only he has the answer, no one here does.

I sent him an email and he didn't respond, neither did Nona . . .
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bonster

Quote from: Ana on May 18, 2011, 02:25:36 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on May 03, 2011, 10:25:02 PM
Quote from: The Jackal on May 03, 2011, 10:20:48 PM
I don't think the issue is whether Lovero's "explanation" makes sense. The issue is whether Lovero knew about Pesek's ties BEFORE he endorsed him. BIG difference.
If you want the answer so bad why don't you ask the only person who can give you your answers. Ask the mayor! Think how much of a rest you could give your fingers if you asked the only person who could answer all your questions. You have been on this for a week, go see him,call him,send him an email and ask him. Only he has the answer, no one here does.

I sent him an email and he didn't respond, neither did Nona . . .

Bob and Nona or Jeff and Nona?  Isn't Jeff your alderman?

Ana

Jeff B responded to my email, the Mayor and Nona did not.  Nona is my alderperson.

The Jackal

Just out of curiosity Ana, what did you ask Mr. Lovero and Ms. Chapman?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

FYI - I received a robocall today from Joe Gunty that either District 201 or Morton West has changed their phone number to 708-780-4100.  Why on earth would they change their phone number?

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 18, 2011, 01:01:39 PM
Sounds like the life is suggesting we should listen to this guy?

I took it to mean that the Life was "encouraging" Pesek to talk to the news media and give his side of the story rather than ignoring the press.