Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Noisy Neighbors??

Started by Fer, May 07, 2011, 07:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fer

Hi.
As we speak, my neighbors right next door have set up turntables and cranked up the speakers very loud.

And, they are unloading and setting up an extra grill with several canisters of gas and have a spit going already...

And there are already at least 25 people out in the yard.

So, it looks like they are gearing up for a very long, and loud evening.

What do I do???

It's early - only 7 p.m. - so I guess I don't have a late noise complaint to call in about.

But, what I'm worried about is this is what it's going to be like all summer.

Last night, I had to be Gladys Kravitz and call Berwyn's finest because there was a big ole domestic dispute on the front porch.  I really don't care about the ass-hat adults, but there were two very small children crying and screaming, so I had to call the police. 

I really would like to be able to sit out in my back yard or on my front porch this summer, but I'm afraid these a-holes have hijacked the serenity that I used to enjoy with my old neighbors. 

What do I do????  Honestly, I'm afraid of these people, because I seriously think there is some shady stuff going on here...e.g. many cars always stopping by in the alley for brief periods of time and I honestly have no idea who actually lives there...so many people coming and going all the time. 

I'm really, really annoyed right now. I wish you all could hear how loud it is and I'm inside with all the windows closed.

"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

psychomom

I sympathize, we've got a couple of what I call "hell houses" on our block too.  You don't have to wait until 11pm to call in a noise complaint. What we've done is talk to other neighbors who are being bothered by the noise too and get them to call in also.  I can hear music going outside...maybe it's coming from your block.  I'm around 25th and Euclid.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

Berwyn Patsy

Being Saturday night, I would probably give them to 11:00 P.M., then start calling
the police.
   You definitely should report any little suspicious activity coming or going at that house.
The police can start keeping an eye out and maybe even park that big white van on your
block.

Homebody

I agree with giving them until 11:00 before calling the police. First party of the year and all that. I suggest that you call Commander James Sassetti at 795-5600 ext 3150 and let him know of the shady goings on. He has always been helpful regarding that kind of stuff in my area. Marge

Guy_on_Clinton

SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

Juliet

I was raised to have music on at a volume that does not disturb our neighbors as a sign of respect.  Berwyn houses are just too close to be able to choose your own decibel of loudness.  I enforce that with my kids as well, but see many a neighbor older than me that thinks I want to hear their music in my yard, or better yet, while in my house.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

~LL~

Quote from: Homebody on May 07, 2011, 08:03:54 PM
I agree with giving them until 11:00 before calling the police. First party of the year and all that. I suggest that you call Commander James Sassetti at 795-5600 ext 3150 and let him know of the shady goings on. He has always been helpful regarding that kind of stuff in my area. Marge
+1
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

~LL~

Quote from: Fer on May 07, 2011, 07:06:06 PM
Hi.
As we speak, my neighbors right next door have set up turntables and cranked up the speakers very loud.

And, they are unloading and setting up an extra grill with several canisters of gas and have a spit going already...

And there are already at least 25 people out in the yard.

So, it looks like they are gearing up for a very long, and loud evening.

What do I do???

It's early - only 7 p.m. - so I guess I don't have a late noise complaint to call in about.

But, what I'm worried about is this is what it's going to be like all summer.

Last night, I had to be Gladys Kravitz and call Berwyn's finest because there was a big ole domestic dispute on the front porch.  I really don't care about the ass-hat adults, but there were two very small children crying and screaming, so I had to call the police. 

I really would like to be able to sit out in my back yard or on my front porch this summer, but I'm afraid these a-holes have hijacked the serenity that I used to enjoy with my old neighbors. 

What do I do????  Honestly, I'm afraid of these people, because I seriously think there is some shady stuff going on here...e.g. many cars always stopping by in the alley for brief periods of time and I honestly have no idea who actually lives there...so many people coming and going all the time. 

I'm really, really annoyed right now. I wish you all could hear how loud it is and I'm inside with all the windows closed.

I feel your pain and encourage you to keep calling PD anytime you see any manner of 'suspicous/shady' activity in progress.  Also, do report your observations in general to Commander James Sassetti.  As to the noise -- good luck.  With all due respect to Berwyn PD -- some officers seem to take this kind of complaint more seriously than others and some will simply 'advise' the offenders to lower the volume.  Of course,it usually gets jacked up again a short time after officers leave the block.  Then we have what I call the "Its a 'family party' excuse -- which seemingly gives the host and guests the right to disturb a whole neighbor for hours on end...  I know officers can only do so much, but also do wish that the ordiance that is in place would be enforced -- no exceptions. - and no acceptance of plain disrespect of the rights of others to peace and quiet.  I dream on...
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Fer

We went out to dinner to get away from the noise for awhile & we're back home now & it's even louder & there are even more people out there...10 feet from where I'm typing this. 

It's truly out of hand.  We're giving them until 10 p.m. & we're calling the policia. 

The thump-thump-thump of the base is so loud even inside of the house... 
How can anyone think this is OK??? 

Our poor dog has been so stressed all night.  And the 2 cats look p.o.'d, too.

Damnit, I paid too much for my house to have to put up with this crap and feel like a prisoner inside of it.  I'm so angry right now...

Thanks for allowing me to vent, oh good people of BTF!    And I appreciate your suggestions, etc.!!!!  I truly do.

Grrrrrrr......
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

formerfalcon

May I ask what end of town you are on?  My hubby was out walking the dog just a short time ago and said that someone was definetly have a party not far from us.  Could hear the music very clearly.  We are on the south end of town.

OakParkSpartan

Fer is on the south end of town near East.

I'd call the BPD, and if you are friendly with any other neighbors, give them a call and have them call the BPD as well.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: Fer on May 07, 2011, 09:15:22 PM
It's truly out of hand.  We're giving them until 10 p.m. & we're calling the policia. 

The thump-thump-thump of the base is so loud even inside of the house... 
How can anyone think this is OK??? 

Our poor dog has been so stressed all night.  And the 2 cats look p.o.'d, too.

The dog is sensing your stress more than the bass thumping.

I agree on the 11pm thing, esp if it's just one party and not a regular occurrence. 
But if it's that loud I'd call, too.  Block your caller ID and say you're calling from two blocks away.

If these are new neighbors changing the landscape a message has to be sent that this is not how people live in YOUR neighborhood.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Fer

Well, we did call BPD.  They did come to the alley of these idiots' house & I guess they told them to knock it off.  That was around 11:40 or so.  but around 11:20, I guess we'd both had enough.  S.O. went out in the yard and asked them (semi-politely) to please turn it down as we were trying to sleep.  About 10 minutes later, I'd HAD it!  I went out in the yard and yelled over the fence "ENOUGH!"  I had to do so several teams before they could hear me over the bass!  One of the women sitting at a table yelled, "HOW RUDE!" at me!  Which was...I don't know...is the word ironic?  About 10 minutes later, the police showed up and it did get quiet. 

I plan to go over to the neighbors on the other side today to ask them what they think.  We've met them a few times; they seem nice.  I know that they like to sit out on their backyard deck when it's nice out, too. 

But with these idiots in place now, summer does not seem like it's going to be conducive to enjoying our yards!  It seems that almost every weekend that it's been nice out, they have lots of people over and cook out in the yard.  The music has not been like this as of yet, and I certainly hope it was a one-time thing, but...I'm worried.

My S.O. is the one who snow blows the entire block for these a-holes.  While they seemed appreciative, and yes, they even gave us a gift cert. to a local chain restaurant, I feel that this is just unacceptable. How could anyone think that this is OK to crank up music like that?  As someone pointed out here, the houses are just too close.  Maybe if they had come over earlier and said, "hey, we're having a birthday/anniversary/whatever party tonight, and it may get loud, and we're sorry, but we'll try to keep it down," things might be different...

But now I fear we have a real enemy next door.  No way to live. 

Thanks for listening.  Now it's time to blast some Aerosmith/Stones/Led Zeppelin out of the speakers we've placed strategically in the window facing north!  (not really...but we thought about it...)

J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

berwyn senator

Call,Call,Call the police dept. we had a similar situation finally they are gone.Whats reallying interesting some of the neighbors were scared shitless to call the police fearing repercussions.Forming a small group of neighbors finally did the job someone would call on every little thing that this person did.We have rights as residents, we just can't let a group of low lives take over.

n01_important

What do you do when the noisy neighbors are dogs barking all mf afternoon, evening and sometimes night long?

It's hard to enjoy your backyard when you all you hear "wooof woooof".  Of course, the owners don't want to bring their dogs in the house b/c IT MAKES TOO MUCH NOISE so they let 'em outside to destroy the neighbor's chi.

I hear you on the neighbors, I'm all for freedom of the individual but that must be balanced when you live so close to one another to respect the rights of the others living close to you.  But the respect must be mutual.
Stupid fuck

buzz

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 08, 2011, 08:05:58 AM
Whats reallying interesting some of the neighbors were scared shitless to call the police fearing repercussions.
Yep.
When they say they don't want to get involved, that's the real reason.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Whats reallying interesting some of the neighbors were scared shitless to call the police fearing repercussions. Forming a small group of neighbors finally did the job someone would call on every little thing that this person did.

That is the key: community cohesiveness.  When you're the only household ruining the fun you become the target.  When multiple households gang up (yep) on the offenders their malice is spread thin.  Being or having a good neighborhood watch block captain helps.  Or just getting to know your neighbors, period.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Fer

Quote from: buzz on May 08, 2011, 09:04:26 AM
Whats reallying interesting some of the neighbors were scared shitless to call the police fearing repercussions.
Yep.
When they say they don't want to get involved, that's the real reason.

Yes, I'm actually kind of scared, because, as I think I've mentioned, there is also some shady stuff going on at this house every day.  We have no idea who actually lives there because there are always so many people coming and going.  And a lot of people pull up in the alley, visit for awhile, and then leave.   The guy who owns the home works on cars in the garage a lot, and there are kids always shooting hoops in the space in front of the garage.  I worry about the kids at this house; there are always at least 3 or 4 running around.

OK...I'm rambling now.  I'm still angry and worried.  I just want to be able to hang out on my front porch and in my backyard when I feel like it...
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

Fer

Quote from: Bonster on May 08, 2011, 09:12:24 AM
Whats reallying interesting some of the neighbors were scared shitless to call the police fearing repercussions. Forming a small group of neighbors finally did the job someone would call on every little thing that this person did.

That is the key: community cohesiveness.  When you're the only household ruining the fun you become the target.  When multiple households gang up (yep) on the offenders their malice is spread thin.  Being or having a good neighborhood watch block captain helps.  Or just getting to know your neighbors, period.
Yeah, you're right, Bonster.  I am going to visit the neighbor on the other side and express just this. 
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06