News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Noisy Neighbors??

Started by Fer, May 07, 2011, 07:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

Quote from: ~LL~ on July 05, 2011, 08:51:10 AM

........- since one can remain anonymous and still get good response and results from PD........

This is true ONLY if you use a payphone, and there's damn few left. ALL dispatchers' gear nation-wide instantly "I.D.s" every call as it arrives, even if the caller has "blocked" the call.

Cellphones are ALL instantly identifiable as to owner and physical location every time the device is used, thanks to the Federal Communications Act of 1996, I think it was, which made MANDATORY that every phone service provider be able to submit that information instantly to law enforcement upon demand (thanks mainly to the FBI).

buzz

Quote from: berwynson on July 05, 2011, 08:54:15 PM
Cellphones are ALL instantly identifiable as to owner and physical location every time the device is used
Not true.  You can purchase a pre-paid cell phone that cannot be traced to any owner.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwynson

Quote from: buzz on July 05, 2011, 11:20:57 PM
Cellphones are ALL instantly identifiable as to owner and physical location every time the device is used
Not true.  You can purchase a pre-paid cell phone that cannot be traced to any owner.

Such a cellphone is in violation of the Act. Check it out.

buzz

Quote from: berwynson on July 06, 2011, 08:50:32 PM
Then get them pulled off the shelves.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I now noticed that the couch is in the yard under a tree.  This is an indoor couch.  What do they think - that the tree will keep it from getting wet and moldy and smelly?  My parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle and cousins all moved into a three-flat in the late 1950's in the city and several homes on the block were put up for sale because the "hillbillies" were moving in.  I have news for you - there never was an indoor couch either on the front porch or in the backyard, ever.  A huge garden and for awhile, a pen with some chickens attached to the garage, but no couches.

berwynson

Quote from: buzz on July 06, 2011, 09:00:03 PM
Quote from: berwynson on July 06, 2011, 08:50:32 PM
Then get them pulled off the shelves.

Do you mean like "TracPhones"? I concede this much: the Act when passed by Congress was responded to by Phone Providers claims' that it would require enormous expense to implement, but that DID happen. Have you yourself purchased and used such a cell as you describe? Paid for it and immediately began using it?

Fer

Don't see the couch anymore.  I wonder if they brought it back inside. I'll bet it smells great...

Hey, as long as they're quiet about it...
"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

pcm1112

I wish all of you the best of luck with your neighbors on this last, long weekend of the summer.

Keep the a/c on and hope for the best. 

Enjoy the holiday.  Cheers!

Tuttles

I've never complained here - but there's "neighbors" across the alley & about one house over who have a bit of a bonfire many if not most evenings in the summer. I'm pretty sure they go around finding whatever wood or wood-like material that will burn --in people's trash, the alley, wherever.  When it's nice enough to open the windows at night, I like to do that -except that at best, it smells like something's on fire in my house, and at worst like something toxic is being burnt on the bonfire & the smell is drifting into my windows (and probably those of everybody around here. 

Are there any rules or regulations about bonfires or those little fire pits and what you can burn in them? 

That particular guy isn't too loud - just smoky.  Now the one's next door to him also talk & play music that's loud enough to hear in my yard.  Not too bad in my house, but if I lived next door to them, I would be really mad b/c I have a kid that I try to put to bed at 8 p.m. and no central a/c. 

Hope everyone has a good holiday weekend! 

OakParkSpartan

I believe fire pits are illegal.

Call thE BPD non-emergency number and ask.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Go drop a bag of burning dog shit in his yard and see how he likes it.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

~LL~

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on September 03, 2011, 08:05:51 PM
I believe fire pits are illegal.

Call thE BPD non-emergency number and ask.

I wish they were illegal because every drunken yahoo on the block and block across the  alley seems to have one!
I see one such yahoo continually dousing whatever they are burning with lighter fluid!  Nearly burned his own saggy-baggy pants off one night...
But, I don't believe the pit itself is illegal.  What is being burned in the pit and the size of the fire can, I believe, be addressed by PD or FD.

Again I say -- in a town like this where lots are relatively small and houses close together -- even more respect and consideration for the rights of others should prevail.  But, no...more like just the opposite.  I also personally do not understand why ppl gather outside on their front porches and steps and proceed to blither out the most inimate details of their crappy lives for a half-a-block's worth of neighbors to hear - especially late at night!  Summer's a bummer cuz of them sometimes...so closing windows even on mild evenings is a must.  Sigh...
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Tuttles

Everyone must be out of town on the 2300 block of OPA!  So quiet around here!  Actually, the entire area between here & Morton West seemed rather quiet.  We walked to the Maria SS. Laurentana fest last night to see the fireworks & the only gatherings we noticed in any yards seemed quite subdued. 

Fer

MY a-hole neighbors are having their last (I'm hopeful!) gathering of the summer.  They have their fire pit going, and have been hooping and hollerin' since about 6:30.  We're giving them until 9 to quiet down, and then it's time to call our friends at BPD. 
"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

~LL~

Quote from: Fer on September 05, 2011, 08:08:38 PM
MY a-hole neighbors are having their last (I'm hopeful!) gathering of the summer.  They have their fire pit going, and have been hooping and hollerin' since about 6:30.  We're giving them until 9 to quiet down, and then it's time to call our friends at BPD. 

Good luck.  But don't count on this being their last hurrah!  Lots of nice weather still ahead -- and this type usually parties all friggen year long either inside or outside.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Juliet

Houses are too close together for fire pits.  Just because someone wants to burn something doesn't mean the neighbors should have to shut their windows so as to not breathe it in.  I had enough of those nights where my house reeked of their smoke.  Add to that the close proximity of an octagon bungalow's back bedroom to the neighbor's yard, and there comes a certain hour when you need to get ready for the work week and don't want to be "entertained" by their music any more.  I feel for you.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6