News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Noisy Neighbors??

Started by Fer, May 07, 2011, 07:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I feel bad for you.  If they're out last night blasting music like that when it was in the low 40's I can only imagine what will happen when we have some beautiful summer days.  I left work around 11 last night and it was pretty chilly - I think my car listed the temp as 40 outside.  Yes, try and enlist your neighbors, I can't imagine very many people on your block could have been OK with this and how about the people on the next block who share the alley.  Also, if this guy is out there in the garage working on other people's vehicles I think that could be considered a business and is not allowed.  Another tactic might be to set up your speakers directly at their windows and start playing some really loud gospel music  and religious services EARLY in the morning if it's a Sunday after their shenanigans when they are probably trying to sleep if off and tell them you're just practicing your freedom of religion.  Yeah, I know the other neighbors might not be thrilled but if they're on the same page as you they might not mind. 

soxrwrldchamps05

I feel bad for you. I have had the same problem as well. I use to live on Lombard and 12th and there would be parties next door all the time for no reason. of all the parties they have it was getting annoying. Music would be always loud and I mean you can hear it down the block loud. we called the cops at 7 and they came and the cops did something about it. then like you said they always turn the music down but 10 minutes later they will go and turn it back up. well for my safety I listen to a police scanner and well 10 minutes later I happen to hear the people who were having the parties address and I was laughing because other people were getting pissed off too. not to be disrespectful to Hispanics but there are good ones and then there are the rude ones. I mean these neighbors were just awful. dogs not on leashes and I called the cops about that one day and I almost got arrested because i said something to the lady. If you are gonna have your dog run around with no leash and then try to bite my dog, im going to say something to you. BAck to the music. You know all of us in the world are on different schedules. Its sad that you can't get any sleep because of the loud music. MY mom works nights and sleeps during the day time and if we still lived over on Lombard she wouldnt get any sleep with so much noise they make. I think Berwyn needs to do more about it instead of letting them get away with it. First time should be a warning for music second time it should be a $500 dollar fine for depending on how loud it is. Sorry this is so long but this is made me want to write down what I felt. I really feel bad for you FER.

~LL~

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on May 08, 2011, 10:24:30 AM
Another tactic might be to set up your speakers directly at their windows and start playing some really loud gospel music  and religious services EARLY in the morning if it's a Sunday after their shenanigans when they are probably trying to sleep if off and tell them you're just practicing your freedom of religion.  Yeah, I know the other neighbors might not be thrilled but if they're on the same page as you they might not mind. 

I found that the Barney theme played over and over at high volume from speakers facing offenders' bedroom windows was quite effective.  Neighbors didn't mind the volume as much as they did the song...but they understood the desperation that prompted the action.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

~LL~

Quote from: Fer on May 08, 2011, 09:14:06 AM
Quote from: buzz on May 08, 2011, 09:04:26 AM
Quote from: berwyn senator on May 08, 2011, 08:05:58 AM
Whats reallying interesting some of the neighbors were scared shitless to call the police fearing repercussions.
Yep.
When they say they don't want to get involved, that's the real reason.

Yes, I'm actually kind of scared, because, as I think I've mentioned, there is also some shady stuff going on at this house every day.  We have no idea who actually lives there because there are always so many people coming and going.  And a lot of people pull up in the alley, visit for awhile, and then leave.   The guy who owns the home works on cars in the garage a lot, and there are kids always shooting hoops in the space in front of the garage.  I worry about the kids at this house; there are always at least 3 or 4 running around.

OK...I'm rambling now.  I'm still angry and worried.  I just want to be able to hang out on my front porch and in my backyard when I feel like it...

Please call Berwyn PD and share your observations and concerns with Commander James Sassetti.  Any detailed info you can provide will help the officers who will be assigned to keep an eye on the area.  You absolutely deserve not only a sense of safety in and around your own home -- but we are also all entitled to a quiet and clean neighborhood for ourselves and our families to enjoy.
Please call and arrange to speak with Commander Sassetti.  You will feel a lot better after doing so.  If you have a Neighborhood Watch Block Captain - also relay your observations and concerns to him or her.  Berwyn PD can tell you whether you have a block captain and provde contact information.  If you do not have one, considering singing on yourself.  It is not an extraordinary time commitment and you will be helping ensure that sense of safety, as well as peace and quiet.

~LL~

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 08, 2011, 08:05:58 AM
Call,Call,Call the police dept. we had a similar situation finally they are gone.Whats reallying interesting some of the neighbors were scared shitless to call the police fearing repercussions.Forming a small group of neighbors finally did the job someone would call on every little thing that this person did.We have rights as residents, we just can't let a group of low lives take over.

Bravo and well put!  By not making it easy for the thugs or the terminally ill-mannered do as they please our neighborhoods will not be so attractive to them anymore.

~LL~

It is very sad indeed that many of us actually cannot enjoy being out of doors on our property due to completely discrespectful people who, for some reason, do not seem to mind broadcasting their ignorance far and wide -- being it by playing recorded music very loud, having live bands set up in their yard to play until the wee hours (especially on Sunday nights...????), or very loud talking/swearing - up to and including conversations on their cell phones which hapless neighbors are subjected to both sides of the conversation....

For one thing, I think live music in a residential neighborhood needs to be completly prohibited for any reason.  If people need to have a huge party and want that kind of entertainment -- they can rent a hall.  I also think that outdoor parties of a certain number of people (say, more than 10), with or without recorded music, needs to be a 'permit only' affair.

Just because our lot sizes are fairly small here in Berwyn should not mean we have to accept having our peace disturbed, at any time of day or night, by disrespectful neighbors - no exceptions.

berwyn senator

A similar situation existed a few years ago,the music was so loud it could be heard four blocks away.My one neighbor called the police,telling the we could not speak to each other in our own back yards.The police came the noise stopped,as soon as the squad left back up again we all started calling,back came the squad,same thing happened.Finally one senior called telling the police if the noise doesn't stop he was going over and blow up the house and everyone around it,he also mentioned that he was an explosive expert in the service.Done ,several cops came ,quiet at last.The sad issue is we have to put up with this gargage in our neighborhood,also the issue we are taking the police away from more important things.

billyjean

I think we got the "live music" thingy goin on right now ... area heard ... between 26th Street and the IC tracks ... between Home and Oak Park Ave.  Sounds like a good band but I could only imagine the effect if they were right next door to me.  Unless this is some kinda band at Janura ... and I'm hearing that?  

berwyn senator

We put up with a bar on 39th. street for years,the noise on Wednesday,Friday, and Saturday was so loud our windows would shake upstairs.Parking was next to impossible on our blocks in Berwyn,cars raced through our alleys and streets.Slickney would do nothing even approaching Stickneys mayor was a waste.Drunks were noisy coming and going, empty bottles on our lawns,one couple were on a neighbors front lawn doing what came naturally.Berwyn police did every thing they could responding every time when someone called,even patrolling our blocks,at times with several squads.Stickney police were ignorant and abusive,one problem was our resident parking signs were put up leaving out Saturday night. No one in town would help,almost four years later the signs were finally changed,so did the administration,finally quiet,and soon thereafter the bar was gone.I am not a political person but thank you Democratic party for helping our neighborhood.

berwynson

Fer, certain "unexplainable events" were known to happen, not often mind you, but occasionally, as the "need" arose, back in the day....events carefully aimed at maintaining order amongst the neighbors. Retaliation on the receiver's part was known to them to NOT be an option.........

For example, one nasty guy's cadillac got a good "stoning", middle of the night, and he quickly "took notice", and mended his aggravating ways......

Police were hardly ever involved, not even after the "mending" took place......see, it t'warn't obvious just who the "perps" were........

Mind you, now, this is not construable as advice, simply "reminiscence" of how it was.........berwynson

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: ~LL~ on May 08, 2011, 06:55:25 PM
It is very sad indeed that many of us actually cannot enjoy being out of doors on our property due to completely discrespectful people who, for some reason, do not seem to mind broadcasting their ignorance far and wide -- being it by playing recorded music very loud, having live bands set up in their yard to play until the wee hours (especially on Sunday nights...????), or very loud talking/swearing - up to and including conversations on their cell phones which hapless neighbors are subjected to both sides of the conversation....

For one thing, I think live music in a residential neighborhood needs to be completly prohibited for any reason.  If people need to have a huge party and want that kind of entertainment -- they can rent a hall.  I also think that outdoor parties of a certain number of people (say, more than 10), with or without recorded music, needs to be a 'permit only' affair.

Just because our lot sizes are fairly small here in Berwyn should not mean we have to accept having our peace disturbed, at any time of day or night, by disrespectful neighbors - no exceptions.

I don't agree with the permit thing.  If I have some friends over, and a few more drop by, suddenly I'm going to get a ticket for sitting on my own property? 

100% agree with the live band.  Both bands and loud music should be handled under an existing noise ordinance.

People have cell phones...we could set up a calling tree and have multiple people complain about the noise.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

n01_important

One can say the same thing about quite neighbors.  They are mf neurotic, anti-social and plain ol' borderline mentally disturbed people who can't accept others having fun.

I once had a downstairs neighbor who had mf mad parties at all days of the week (college students) while I worked 7-7... you know what I did?  I joined 'em!   :666:

Now, if this happens all the time, I agree, it is disturbing... but if it happens every once in a while and they are otherwise, good neighbors, then just chill out.  Let 'em party until the sun comes up, and once the sun comes up, wait 10 minutes and start up your lawnmower, weed whacker and leaf blower.   :666: muhahahahah  :666:
Stupid fuck

Fer

I really appreciate hearing from all of you about this.  And I like some of your suggestions on what to do about it.  OPS -  I like the phone tree idea.  And the gospel and/or Barney music first thing in the a.m. after a party - great!

I paid good money for my home, and have put a lot of $$ into since I moved here almost 8 years ago.  I have earned the right to sit out in my own backyard or on my front porch in relative peace and quiet and safety.  We've had a few parties over the years, but I would never, ever crank up the music or keep it going until all hours.  It's called common courtesy, I believe.

Yesterday morning, we took the dog for a walk and did talk to a few neighbors.  We met one couple who are the nicest people in the whole world; I feel like I've wasted a lot of time not getting to know them before now!  Found out A LOT about other people on the block/in our 'hood, even the low lifes who live next door!  So, it seems that this person is one of the "black sheep" of the family, etc., etc.  And doesn't own the home; just rents.  And there are multiple families living there. 

And, I will definitely be calling Officer Sassetti.  Maybe if these jerks see police cars cruising around their place a lot, it may curtail some of their nonsense. 

Thanks again, people.  I'll let you know what develops over what I fear is going to be a loooooonnnngggg summer!

"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

berwyn senator

We had neighbors who would go out at night damaging cars of the irresponsible people most never noticed and would just leave.
When the Berwyn Police sent foot patrols to ticket the offenders each night they started getting the message,and the patrols really helped,especially when the police would flash their lights, they did an excellent job.Lack of parking caused a hardship on the bar an patrons stopped comming.

~LL~

Quote from: berwyn senator on May 08, 2011, 07:34:26 PM
The sad issue is we have to put up with this gargage in our neighborhood,also the issue we are taking the police away from more important things.

Very much agree that I do not like it at all that our only recourse at times is to use valuable law enforcement time due to those who blatantly refuse to even try to be a good neighbor.

~LL~

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 08, 2011, 09:28:28 PM

I don't agree with the permit thing.  If I have some friends over, and a few more drop by, suddenly I'm going to get a ticket for sitting on my own property?  

100% agree with the live band.  Both bands and loud music should be handled under an existing noise ordinance.

People have cell phones...we could set up a calling tree and have multiple people complain about the noise.

I do see your point on this situation, OPS.  My beef is really with those "family gatherings" that entail way more than 25 people outside - with more added as the evening progresses.

Phone tree = great idea and it does help if more than one resident calls PD to complain.

~LL~

Quote from: billyjean on May 08, 2011, 07:40:04 PM
I think we got the "live music" thingy goin on right now ... area heard ... between 26th Street and the IC tracks ... between Home and Oak Park Ave.  Sounds like a good band but I could only imagine the effect if they were right next door to me.  Unless this is some kinda band at Janura ... and I'm hearing that?  

You are hearing the fiesta put on my our fine neighbors in Cicero -- at their Community Park...yes!  Does no good at all to complain about the volume or placement of the sound systems that propell their music and speeches down the tracks and into our community.  To the best of my knowledge, we don't inflict noise from our events on Cicero residents...but, who cares?

dukesdad

I enjoyed the Fiesta music from Cicero, plus it was off by 9 or earlier. I see a huge difference between a community event and a single home that is blasting music, but that's me.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: dukesdad on May 09, 2011, 10:44:24 AM
I enjoyed the Fiesta music from Cicero, plus it was off by 9 or earlier. I see a huge difference between a community event and a single home that is blasting music, but that's me.
+1.  I live directly adjacent to St. Leonard and they have their FallFest with music every year that is pretty loud for us considering how close we live and we have no problem whatsoever with it.  Same goes for something like Safely Spooky at Proska when they have played music.  That's very different to me then having some neighbor setting up huge speakers and blasting you to kingdom come.

berwynson

Quote from: n01_important on May 08, 2011, 10:18:30 PM.......Let 'em party until the sun comes up, and once the sun comes up, wait 10 minutes and start up your lawnmower, weed whacker and leaf blower.   :666: muhahahahah  :666:

A good suggestion, to be sure, IF you can stay awake comfortably to do it, AFTER being kept up all night by the interlopers.  berwynson