Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

May 19: Author to Discuss Community-Led School Improvement

Started by Berwyn CARES, May 12, 2011, 01:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berwyn CARES

Heritage Middle School - 6850 31st Street, Berwyn, IL
Thursday May 19th, 7:00 PM

All residents are invited to join Berwyn CARES and the Heritage PTSA as we host an evening with Jacqueline Edelberg, coauthor of How to Walk to School, Blueprint for a Neighborhood School Renaissance. Ms. Edelberg will discuss how the parents and principal at Nettelhorst School in Chicago worked together to transform their struggling public school into one of the city's best. Her talk will be followed by an opportunity to ask questions, and copies of the book will be offered for sale at the event.

This event is FREE and onsite child supervision will be available.

Homebody

I have just finished reading How To Walk To School. It is quite a compelling read. I think the Berwyn Public Library has additional copies. I'll return the one BPL loaned to me asap. You can easily get through it by the time of the BerwynCares event. I am interested in how they managed to build in sustainability. I am a good "paint by numbers" person. If someone is willing to draw a mural on one of D100's walls, I'll fill it in. Any way, count me in to help. Marge

truman40

Agreed Marge, what an excellent book!
As far as how they managed to build in sustainability, two words, COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT!
Local schools cannot achieve greatness without a vision and a community that supports it.
I think that Dist100 is on the right track and I wish more people would get involved, either through DACEE or the PTA or by attending local school board meetings regularly. I also believe that it works the other way too, a strong school builds a strong community which helps build a vibrant business district.
I wish Dist 201 would realize this fact.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

G. Mitchell

Quote from: truman40 on May 12, 2011, 04:04:52 PM
As far as how they managed to build in sustainability, two words, COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT!
Local schools cannot achieve greatness without a vision and a community that supports it.
I think that Dist100 is on the right track and I wish more people would get involved, either through DACEE or the PTA or by attending local school board meetings regularly. I also believe that it works the other way too, a strong school builds a strong community which helps build a vibrant business district.

So true! I can't find it right now, unfortunately, but a Trib article about Lake View noted the positive impact that the Nettelhorst renaissance has had on the community. Now that the school has a reputation for excellence (including strong parent involvement, outstanding arts programming, and a rich, interdisciplinary curriculum that emphasizes independent, creative thinking), it has become a reason for people to move into the neighborhood, rather than a reason to move out.

For a look at how parents and community members (including some talented artists and muralists) contributed to Nettelhorst's turnaround, check out this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59pbjTY08ac&feature=related

I hope to see many of you at the author event tomorrow night!

OakParkSpartan

I'm surprised the BDC hasn't sent out an e-blast on this.

Better schools makes for a better community makes for a better business climate.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: G. Mitchell on May 18, 2011, 11:29:00 AM
Quote from: truman40 on May 12, 2011, 04:04:52 PM

So true! I can't find it right now, unfortunately, but a Trib article about Lake View noted the positive impact that the Nettelhorst renaissance has had on the community. Now that the school has a reputation for excellence (including strong parent involvement, outstanding arts programming, and a rich, interdisciplinary curriculum that emphasizes independent, creative thinking), it has become a reason for people to move into the neighborhood, rather than a reason to move out.

Segregation.  Gotta love it. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

G. Mitchell

Quote from: Bonster on May 18, 2011, 01:01:37 PM

Segregation.  Gotta love it.  

That's one way to look at it. Another would be as the reintegration of middle-class families who for a decade had self-segregated by choosing private schools or moving out of the neighborhood. At the time the story opens, not one child who lived in that neighborhood was enrolled at that school, because of its bad reputation. Once those families came back, bringing their resources and expectations with them, test scores rose at the school, not only on average but for all subgroups. As Larry Rosenstock (of High Tech High) points out, it's not that middle-class families are more virtuous than low-income ones,  they just have a different set of expectations about school and college, and as their children share these with peers, the overall orientation toward schoolwork and learning at the school shifts. You do need [usually] a cohort of children from middle-class families to have a successful school. At the same time, you're right about the downside of good schools being associated with rising real estate prices, which is that at some point lower-income families get priced out of the good school districts.

I think the ideal school would have a diverse student body (and that all students would be served equally, without tracking or pullout programs), but the perfect balance of different populations is not easy to achieve. In the meantime, it's not usually a good thing for public schools when middle-class families opt out; nor is it an easy thing for those families to opt back in to a school that has been branded as failing. In the case of Nettelhorst, it took a tremendous amount of hard work, trust and faith.

Thor

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 18, 2011, 11:42:49 AM
I'm surprised the BDC hasn't sent out an e-blast on this.
Better schools makes for a better community makes for a better business climate.
According to an email I saw floating around the reason being given is Berwyn CARES is not a BDC member but I can't help but think how much of this has to do with some members of CARES being outwardly and vocally critical of this administration's support of Pesek. The BDC needs the administration's support for any projects it wants funded and so,,,,,,,,
Stop your whining and think the way I do

truman40

Quote from: G. Mitchell on May 19, 2011, 06:09:07 AM

Segregation.  Gotta love it.  
That's one way to look at it. Another would be as the reintegration of middle-class families who for a decade had self-segregated by choosing private schools or moving out of the neighborhood. At the time the story opens, not one child who lived in that neighborhood was enrolled at that school, because of its bad reputation. Once those families came back, bringing their resources and expectations with them, test scores rose at the school, not only on average but for all subgroups. As Larry Rosenstock (of High Tech High) points out, it's not that middle-class families are more virtuous than low-income ones,  they just have a different set of expectations about school and college, and as their children share these with peers, the overall orientation toward schoolwork and learning at the school shifts. You do need [usually] a cohort of children from middle-class families to have a successful school. At the same time, you're right about the downside of good schools being associated with rising real estate prices, which is that at some point lower-income families get priced out of the good school districts.

I think the ideal school would have a diverse student body (and that all students would be served equally, without tracking or pullout programs), but the perfect balance of different populations is not easy to achieve. In the meantime, it's not usually a good thing for public schools when middle-class families opt out; nor is it an easy thing for those families to opt back in to a school that has been branded as failing. In the case of Nettelhorst, it took a tremendous amount of hard work, trust and faith.
One other factor in this equation was Nettelhorst's Principal being open to other people's input. Her willingness to listen to the parents and invite the business community in as partners was very important. There needs to be a balance there that is also not easy to achieve.
Last night I attended "Pizza Nite" at Komensky School which has a high Hispanic population and I was amazed at the turn-out. Being Hispanic myself I think it is not always easy to get the parents involved in school activities. Hispanic families usually put their faith in Educators knowing what they are doing. Of course second generation Hispanic families are a bit more involved because of English being the primary language in the household and more than like the parents have already been through the American school system. I applaud Principal LaSalle's use of this event to rally the kids in school support, greeting the families- she was out there speaking with parents and bringing out neighbors to mingle with each other.
This approach may not be a great fit for all schools since each school may be unique in its student population. For instance Emerson uses Parent University as their means of reaching out to parents. As I stated before there is no single factor that makes a school great BUT there are factors that are essential for a school to succeed.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Bonster

Quote from: G. Mitchell on May 19, 2011, 06:09:07 AM

Segregation.  Gotta love it. 

That's one way to look at it. Another would be as the reintegration of middle-class families who for a decade had self-segregated by choosing private schools or moving out of the neighborhood.

Opting for private schools due to religious or educational needs is not segregation.

Concentrating efforts on one school or one neighborhood in a public system is segregation (implies racial/class reasons).   Could be misconstrued as "experimentation" though.

Bonster

Quote from: truman40 on May 19, 2011, 09:01:17 AM
Last night I attended "Pizza Nite" at Komensky School which has a high Hispanic population and I was amazed at the turn-out. Being Hispanic myself I think it is not always easy to get the parents involved in school activities. Hispanic families usually put their faith in Educators knowing what they are doing.

So... it's not parental malaise then... someone needs to rally the troops up north.

truman40

Quote from: Bonster on May 19, 2011, 10:29:46 AM
Last night I attended "Pizza Nite" at Komensky School which has a high Hispanic population and I was amazed at the turn-out. Being Hispanic myself I think it is not always easy to get the parents involved in school activities. Hispanic families usually put their faith in Educators knowing what they are doing.

So... it's not parental malaise then... someone needs to rally the troops up north.
I honestly don't know whats' up with 98, I have very little exposure with their schools. But if you read the book you'll see that there was a rallying of the troops of sorts that started the revitalization of Nettlehorst. Sometime you just need a spark!
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

NYWREB

just one comment on the 'segregation' of sending kids to private schools - our public schools are struggling to afford educating the students that are enrolled there!  Can you imagine the financial situation they would be in if all the private school families flooded the public schools?  The public schools are already getting our money - without having the responsiblity to educate our children.  People should THANK those of us who contribute to the public schools without further taxing of the resources.

Bonster

Quote from: truman40 on May 19, 2011, 10:40:55 AM
Last night I attended “Pizza Nite” at Komensky School which has a high Hispanic population and I was amazed at the turn-out. Being Hispanic myself I think it is not always easy to get the parents involved in school activities. Hispanic families usually put their faith in Educators knowing what they are doing.

I honestly don't know whats' up with 98, I have very little exposure with their schools. But if you read the book you'll see that there was a rallying of the troops of sorts that started the revitalization of Nettlehorst. Sometime you just need a spark!

And where would that spark come from if the parents believe everything is just fine, or as you suggest - they're mostly just first gen hispanics? 

truman40

Quote from: Bonster on May 19, 2011, 12:18:21 PM

And where would that spark come from if the parents believe everything is just fine, or as you suggest - they're mostly just first gen hispanics? 
I don't think that the parents believe everything is fine. I have spoken with a few of them and they are frustrated with the District and some choose to send their kids to private schools. In Nettlehorst's case the spark came from a few mothers that met on a playground. In Dist100 I am not sure where the spark came from since it seemed to have happened before I moved here but I do know that groups like Berwyn CARES, the SBEF and DACEE all keep a fire going as well as the School Board and the school Administrators. Still I'm a little confused as to where you are heading with this though.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: truman40 on May 19, 2011, 12:38:35 PM

I don't think that the parents believe everything is fine. I have spoken with a few of them and they are frustrated with the District and some choose to send their kids to private schools. In Nettlehorst's case the spark came from a few mothers that met on a playground. In Dist100 I am not sure where the spark came from since it seemed to have happened before I moved here but I do know that groups like Berwyn CARES, the SBEF and DACEE all keep a fire going as well as the School Board and the school Administrators. Still I'm a little confused as to where you are heading with this though.

Berwyn CARES is for all of Berwyn, or so I thought.  I wish they devoted a little effort to D98 schools.  The lines between DACEE and CARES have become rather blurred IMHO.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: truman40 on May 19, 2011, 12:38:35 PM

I don't think that the parents believe everything is fine.  

Read the CARES Facebook page and you'll see otherwise.    If they did, don't you think there would be a greater representation of D98 in CARES?

truman40

Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Bonster

truman40

Hell yea!
I know, no explosions or broken windows, very little nudity and I don't believe there are any cuss words but its a good story none the less.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net